So, what is everyone doing re the end of Windows 7 support?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Default So, what is everyone doing re the end of Windows 7 support?

I like Windows 7 on my desktop and don't want to change. Do I really have to change to Windows 10?

Thanks.

Rate this post positively
Old 12-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
I like Windows 7 on my desktop and don't want to change. Do I really have to change to Windows 10?

Thanks.

Rate this post positively
Other than the typical and temporary annoyances of learning the new system, upgrading is highly recommended. Just the security improvements alone make it very much worthwhile. And when you adapt to Windows 10, you may even find you like it.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage

You don't have to change to Windows 10, but there will be no more support or updates after January 14, 2020. This includes security updates. I understand that about 28 percent of all PCs are currently operating on Windows 7. So, it looks to me like an invitation for hackers to take advantage of these Windows 7 users. I am buying a new Windows 10 desktop computer, even though I really like Windows 7.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am struck by the irony that a poster named Apple is loving a Windows product.

But yes, you should upgrade if there is anything on your computer you hope to protect. It may be a better choice to by a new computer or laptop than to buy Windows 10 and install it on your older equipment.
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
Old 12-12-2019, 02:00 PM

I've wondered about what to do as well. I really like Windows 7 and know that all of the programs I use works on it, but I suspect I may have to change as well. I did see a YouTube Video today that really gave a great step by step instruction as to how to download Windows 10 onto your computer that is currently running Windows 7, and complete the set up. And that would be a lot cheaper than going out and buying a computer.

Check it out - here is the web site link How to Upgrade for Free to Windows 10 Home or Pro - YouTube It really does give you a great step by step instruction

I guess it may be hard to "teach an OLD dog new tricks" but it looks like this old dog might have to learn.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Sage

I had my computer "guru" update my computer. He has worked out a way of making it look like 7, but actually be 10. There are some real differences, but for the most part my computer looks very much like it did in 7. My husband is not a techie and I don't think he would have survived a straight transition.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I've wondered about what to do as well. I really like Windows 7 and know that all of the programs I use works on it, but I suspect I may have to change as well. I did see a YouTube Video today that really gave a great step by step instruction as to how to download Windows 10 onto your computer that is currently running Windows 7, and complete the set up. And that would be a lot cheaper than going out and buying a computer.

Check it out - here is the web site link How to Upgrade for Free to Windows 10 Home or Pro - YouTube It really does give you a great step by step instruction

I guess it may be hard to "teach an OLD dog new tricks" but it looks like this old dog might have to learn.
This video also shows you how to make your home screen to look a lot like your old Windows 7 home screen. In addition to that video (which I think is the best one) I've also found another "how to" video to convert your existing computer to Windows 10. That Youtube video is WORKING December 2019: How you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free - YouTube

So if you don't want to go out and spend money for a NEW computer to replace one that works just fine (just old), you can try to do it yourself.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Gold member

Just be sure to use the right version of Windows 10 for your older programs

I am having to go with 32-bit (despite the fact that it can access less RAM) as they won't run on the 64-bit version

Most new computers come pre-loaded with the 64-bit
Old 12-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Another thing to understand is that if any of your programs (MS office, any apps, non-Microsoft products, etc) update and your OS isn't updated, they might not work with your Win7 machine anymore. This is not common but it does happen.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Windows 10 has had a number of major updates and at some point the feature to set up a "Homegroup" went away. Does anybody have advice on how to have 2 or more home computers on the same same router automatically find each other and share files?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Switched our computer last year when it was offered for free to upgrade. Had a couple problems right away but working good for a long time.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I had my computer "guru" update my computer. He has worked out a way of making it look like 7, but actually be 10. There are some real differences, but for the most part my computer looks very much like it did in 7.
That would be useful. I run 10 on one computer and haven't upgraded the others as I cannot find anything on it. Why MS insist on totally changing the OS rather than just making it stable and safe to use...
Old 12-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Is Windows 7 Still Safe to Use? - YouTube
Old 12-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 1,016 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
That would be useful. I run 10 on one computer and haven't upgraded the others as I cannot find anything on it. Why MS insist on totally changing the OS rather than just making it stable and safe to use...

Why??...........$
Old 12-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I had my computer "guru" update my computer. He has worked out a way of making it look like 7, but actually be 10. There are some real differences, but for the most part my computer looks very much like it did in 7. My husband is not a techie and I don't think he would have survived a straight transition.
My guru (our son) did the same thing for me. I loathed the Windows 10 "tiles." He got rid of them and made it work like 7.

Tags
windows, change, post, rate, desktop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.