Sorting and organizing pictures in Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Platinum member
Default Sorting and organizing pictures in Windows 10

We just returned from an Asian vacation with many many pictures downloaded from an Android phone. It is so frustrating not to be able to manually organize and move them. I googled the problem and it was unclear if people have been successful trying to do this. Is there any solution? Help! I have a ton of pics.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

bump
Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We just returned from an Asian vacation with many many pictures downloaded from an Android phone. It is so frustrating not to be able to organize and move them manuallyto manually organize and move them. I googled the problem and it was unclear if people have been successful in trying to do this. Is there any solution? Help! I have a ton of pics.
I assume you have all your photos downloaded onto your desktop computer. I'm not sure how much organization or fixing of photos you want to do, but here are some tools for doing organizing.

Google photos, which you can use for free, lets you organize pictures manually. It also tags your photo according to content so you can find all the photo's with a dog in it or a person. It also can also fix up your photos. You can also find pictures by location. Plus you can make photo albums.

Google Photos - All your photos organized and easy to find

Professional photographers often use Adobe's Lightroom, which not only lets you organize photos but fix them up too. It's pricy but has many tools for repairing pictures.

Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom | Photo editing and organizing software

Here is a listing of photo organizing software. Take this with a grain of salt though, as you should most magazine reviews.

Best Photo Organizing Software of 2019 - Sort and Tag Photos | Top Ten Reviews
Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 AM

You can always go to youtube.com and find many videos that will walk you through the filing process. Plus you can pause it as well as go back to check something you didn't understand the first time. This can be done with all subjects computer or otherwise how to instructions. Just type in the search the How To you want to learn about.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
You can always go to youtube.com and find many videos that will walk you through the filing process. Plus you can pause it as well as go back to check something you didn't understand the first time. This can be done with all subjects computer or otherwise how to instructions. Just type in the search the How To you want to learn about.
Thanks for the Great reminder that YouTube is an excellent learning tool. I use it for most anything I need to know. I don't think there is anything not on YouTube!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I have placed the photos in sub folders manually with no trouble at all, at least count 40 or more sub folders.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Platinum member

Thank you all for the responses. I did create subfolders. What I hoped to do was drag and drop to rearrange the pics. The workaround that I did was to renumber the pictures in picture tools so that I got them in the sequence I wanted. Seemed laborious.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

You definitely didn't have to do that, sorry I just noticed this thread. There's left clicks, right clicks, and "linger-clicks" (my term). Basically you click in the upper left corner of a picture and hold the click for just brief extra lingering moment. That puts a checkmark on a little box. You can then click in the corner of all the other ones you want clustered with the first.

You then drag the entire group, as a singular entity, to the group sub-folder.

And then you do it with the next group, and the next, etc. If you have 1000 photos and you know in advance where each one will go, it would take perhaps 45 minutes total.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Thank you all for the responses. I did create subfolders. What I hoped to do was drag and drop to rearrange the pics. The workaround that I did was to renumber the pictures in picture tools so that I got them in the sequence I wanted. Seemed laborious.
I too created lots (and LOTS) of sub-folders, then labeled each sub-folder by year (using numbers so that they're in order)...then added a general description.

To move individual photo's, you can left click on the particular photo and then use either Shift/Ctrl (I can't remember which) to select other specific photo's, then right clip COPY (don't use 'CUT' or you might lose it), or just drag any of the selected photo's...to the sub-folder you want them in.

For me, this method/procedure, makes/made it much easier...to now go find a particular photo.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-21-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Platinum member

I tried the two previous suggestions but it appears the folder "Picture Tools" will not allow me to click on the picture and get a check. Will keep working on it.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Create a subdirectory on your desktop exclusively for this project. Call it "Asian Trip Photos" or something you'll recognize. Share the entire gallery to Google cloud. Then download the entire set of Cloud photos to your desktop computer's subdirectory that you just created. Then open up your files (the icon of the file folder sitting in a folder holder, usually titled "My Files" on your desktop computer.***

***You can also upload/share your android phone's gallery to "Google Photos" and use your google chrome browser to access them, and do the exact same downloading from there, on your desktop Windows computer***

Find the subdirectory on your desktop windows computer that you just downloaded everything in to.
Now make a bunch of sub-subdirectories. "Beach Photos" "Hotel Fun Photos" and "Mountain Hike" and whatever else, within that Asian Photos subdirectory.

Now you're set up and ready to start moving stuff. You can close your browser and put your phone down, you're done with those for the rest of this project. Everything following, is done on your desktop computer. You don't even have to have internet on to do it, it's all sitting in your hard drive.

Go back to the main photo subdirectory. Click "view" and then select "large icons." You should now see easy-to-recognize thumbnails of every photo in that subdirectory. You will also see a menu on the far LEFT, of all your directories and subdirectories, with the current subdirectory open, with a list of all the sub-subdirectories (which are currently empty, and just now created) within it.

While keeping your CONTROL key pressed down, single-click on every photo you want to put into the "Mountain Hike" sub-subdirectory (or whatever you choose, that's just my hypothetical example).

When you've selected all the ones you want to move, simply left-click AND HOLD your mouse over any of the selected photos, and drag to the sub-subdirectory you want them to go to. Release your finger from the click. They will all go there.

Now do the same thing (select, then click-hold-drag) with all the other subdirectories.

If you remember the good ole days of Windows 3.11 for workgroups (the first commercially successful version of Windows, back around 1990ish), you'll recall this is how it was done way back then. It hasn't changed, it still works perfectly that way!
Old 06-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Platinum member

Jazuela, thank you for this detailed explanation. When I recover from jet lag, I shall work on it.

Tags
pictures, people, problem, unclear, googled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.