Embarq Hi Speed Internet

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Default Embarq Hi Speed Internet

For those of you who have Embarq for Hi Speed Internet. How do you like it? Is it just as fast as comcast? Good points, bad points? I have Comcast now and Embarq can save me some money.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Embarq Hi Speed Internet

I have never considered DSL as fast as broadband.

Before you take the leap, go to

http://www.embarq.com/Residential/In...hSpeedInternet

and look at the various plans AND what features you have to have on your telephone to get these deals.

Look at the various speeds and what the cost is for what you want. I pay $45.95 for COMCAST Internet.

Be sure to check the bundled price before you switch.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Comcast High Speed Internet vs EMBARQ DSL.
Take a speed test at: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Then let us know what speed you are enjoying with your provider.
I ran test using their Atlanta site and with my Comcast connection this evening my download speed was 4476 KBPS and upload result was 2745 KBPS. Note we have two computers connected to our Comcast provided modem using a 4 year old router.

Be curious to learn what speed other folks are getting on Comcast High Speed and EMBARQ connections.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Sage

I ran the test on our AT&T DSL connection and got 2.3 Meg Download and 450 K upload. We have had this set-up for about 7 years.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Interesting, Hancle704.

I also ran the test using the Atlanta site with my Comcast connection. My download speed was 20385 KBPS and upload result was 1883 KBPS.

Then I repeated the test using the San Francisco site. My download speed was 5129 KBPS and upload result was 632 KBPS.
If you repeat the test several times, you get a variety of speeds even using the same site.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Eternal Member

I used the same site three times and got close on all. 7871 down and 365 up. Depending on the time of day, the numbers will differ.

This is the same as cars. You like Buick and I like Dodge. I like broadband and you like DSL.

My post was about cost. Embarq is trying to sweet talk you into something that isn't as cheap as they want you to believe.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Gold member

In my opinion, there are many tradeoffs to consider when making choice between DSL and Cable Internet access, but after having high speed access for several years now, there is nothing that could ever convince me to go back to dial up for internet access, even if it were AOL's free program.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
In my opinion, there are many tradeoffs to consider when making choice between DSL and Cable Internet access, but after having high speed access for several years now, there is nothing that could ever convince me to go back to dial up for internet access, even if it were AOL's free program.
I create a couple of websites and often download pictures - I'll stick to my Cable Internet thank you very much. ;D I went nuts with dial up getting disconnected in the middle of a large download and having to start over. :'( I just like going to the keyboard and instant online - wouldn't trade that unless there are MAJOR dollars involved and I can't really see that with anything currently offered here.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 PM

I have Embarq for both my telephone service and the basic Embarq DSL service and it cost $69.29 per month.
You do have a choice of speeds with increasing cost associated with higher speeds. The advertisment for Embarq states the basic speed would provide 1.5M download/384K upload. I did the test and used Atlanta and was given 1475 Kbps download & 383 Kbps upload. My computer usage is limited to web browsing, e-mails and TOTV so I don't really need anything faster and I am satisfied using Embarq.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary S

We share time between our house in Altamonte Springs (near Orlando) where we have the basic (lowest cost)Embarq DSL service and our house in The Villages where we have the basic (lowest cost) Comcast service.

Both houses have newer computers and we use the Internet quite a bit. Mostly email and TOTV and a lot of Yahoo games for my wife. I would not consider us heavy download users, but we do notice the difference in speed.

If we are downloading lots of pictures, Comcast is faster than Embarq. It takes about 3 or 4 seconds with Comcast and maybe 6 or 7 seconds with Embarq. Same sites.

We can live with the differences in speed between the two. $49 a month for Comcast. $16 a month for Embarq.

We got a special from Embarq. I belive the current special is $50 a month for DSL and Local phone service.

If you are just a normal user and not download a lot of things from the web, you will hardly notice the difference except at the end of the month when you pay the bill.

I plan to convert The Villages house from Comcast Internet to Embarq and save about $25 a month.

Service reliability has been excellent with both providers.

Hope this helps.

Gary S
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

Are you guys saying that you can only get high speed Internet at the Village? That wireless access is not available in the homes? We used to have high speed Internet with Comcast. It was fast and worked fine. We then switched to wireless (Comcast) and now we have wireless access all over the house (we don't have to be connected to modem as with high speed). I love wireless. We are considering TV as our retirement home and will hate to have to go back to DSL.

The comments from all TOV contributors are wonderful. They help so much when deciding on a place for the future. Thank you.

Pili
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Eternal Member

Wireless is available in the home. You connect your Comcast broadband connection or your Embarq DSL connection that comes into the home into your wired or wireless router and from there you have wireless in your home. There is no difference until you connect to the wireless/wired router or to the ethernet card in your PC or laptop.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Thank you! I was worried that maybe all was available in TV was high speed. I hate having a cable from modem connected to my laptop. I like wireless because you can move all over the house and high speed is available. I know Comcast wireless is more expensive (we pay $45 plus charge for cable) but I find it worth it. If we move to TV as planned, I'd like to continue to have wireless in the home.As always, you guys are the best providers of information. Thanks a bunch.

pili
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry. I was incorrect. Your Comcast broadband or Embarq DSL cable connects to your cable modem. From the modem you connect to your ethernet port in your PC or your wired or wireless router. If you are bringing a current wireless router setup from up north, you should be able to connect everything up as you are currently connected and continue as before.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pili
Thank you! I was worried that maybe all was available in TV was high speed. I hate having a cable from modem connected to my laptop. I like wireless because you can move all over the house and high speed is available. I know Comcast wireless is more expensive (we pay $45 plus charge for cable) but I find it worth it. If we move to TV as planned, I'd like to continue to have wireless in the home.As always, you guys are the best providers of information. Thanks a bunch.

pili
MAKE SURE YOUR PORTABLE TELEPHONES ARE NOT ON 2.4 GHz. I USED SPRINT/EMBARQ DSL FOR NEARLY 4 YEARS HERE IN TV, THEN I SWITCHED TO COMCAST'S HIGHEST SPEED, I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS ON THEIR WIRELESS, COULD NOT CONNECT OR STAY CONNECTED. FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER. OUR PORTABLE (8) ARE 2.4 GHz, THE SAME FREQUENCY THAT COMCAST WIRELESS OPERATES ON. EVERYTIME THE PHONE RANG IT WOULD KNOCK US OFF LINE AND COULDN'T RECONNECT UNTIL THE PHONE CALL WAS ENDED. DONE THINK THE SPEED WAS THAT GREAT. I NOW HAVE SWITCHED BACK TO EMBARQ DSL HIGHEST SPEED AND SAVING $$$$.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.