Strange laptop logon problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2023, 05:26 AM
Default Printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Suspicious! Ask a pro you know, like geek squad, etc.
I have the same printer, but I have a Mac. Go to your printer program on your computer and it should guide you how to fix your printer. I fix mine all the time.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDotz View Post
I have the same printer, but I have a Mac. Go to your printer program on your computer and it should guide you how to fix your printer. I fix mine all the time.
Huh? I didn't read any posts that even mentioned a printer.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Are you using the "sleep" or "hibernate" mode? If so, try just leaving your computer on all the time. The screen will turn off or go into the screen saver mode after a set amount of time that you can set. I haven't used the sleep or hibernate mode for years. Occasionally, I will restart the computer, but not very often.
Actually I do have the computer on all the time. The screen save comes on after a while, then goes to sleep mode. Another problem that happens is frequent auto-rebooting. I get up in the morning only to find it has rebooted overnight. My settings don't allow automatic reboots. Almost like some outside force has control of my computer. (using Norton 360).
Old 04-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
Actually I do have the computer on all the time. The screen save comes on after a while, then goes to sleep mode. Another problem that happens is frequent auto-rebooting. I get up in the morning only to find it has rebooted overnight. My settings don't allow automatic reboots. Almost like some outside force has control of my computer. (using Norton 360).
I don't let my laptop go into sleep mode because I don't want to wait for it to wake up. Still, I haven't tried it in a while but 30-45 seconds seems long.

I didn't think you could tell Windows 10 or later to not reboot. I thought you could set a time of the day for rebooting but I didn't think you could disable it entirely. If you found a way, could you point me to that setting?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-23-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
Did you resolve the issue ?
Yes, thank you. All is fine now. Also discovered I'm actually running Windows 11. Don't know what I did...must have been the cat.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
You can prevent your computer from going to sleep by clicking on Start, Settings, Power, Screen and Sleep, and then selecting the "When plugged in, put my device to sleep" and selecting the option "NEVER".

If you are using Norton antivirus, make sure that Windows Defender is disabled. But personally, I think you are wasting money buying Norton. I stop using third party antivirus programs at least 5 years ago, and I have not had any issues.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Default Need to go back to a previous checkpoint

Your laptop has become messed up by an automatic Microsoft Windows update. Windows automatically saves checkpoints so what you need to do is to go back to a checkpoint from a date that you know that your sign-on process was working correctly. You can do this through the recovery process that is under Update & Security tab in the settings menu.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

As an fyi, if you google your problem you will find an option to chat with a certified Microsoft rep. I have used that option when I needed a Key to log back into Windows. Very helpful
Old 04-24-2023, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post
I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. This morning when I powered up the laptop and tried to enter my pin the letter keys (a,b,c) did not work. I'd press a key and nothing happened, no movement of the cursor, no error, nothing. However, the number keys did work. Yes, I pressed the number lock key to see if that was an issue. I then clicked on 'forgot my pin' and went through a verification process which required me to enter my alternate email address to get a verification code. Surprise, the letter keys worked fine which allowed me to enter the email address and get a code. After entering the code I got a warning about changing my pin and did I want to continue or cancel. I selected cancel and the normal Microsoft screen appeared just as it would have if I had been able to enter my pin at the very beginning. Everything worked fine. However, the next time I powered up the laptop the letter keys once again did not work and I had to again go through the 'forgot my pin' process.

Any ideas what is causing this or how I fix it? Thanks
while this is a great decription, you are leaving out details that can pin point the issue. Standard practice here - the PIN is a number so there really is no need for a "abc", second there can be other things happening with your machine, which is acting like it has conctracted a virus, because of lack of detail I can't tell if you are entering a fake shell or not. considering what you have to do to get somewhere with it, I'd say it's very possible.

In order to help figure that out aside from root scanner etc. remove the PIN as a method and reboot this will clear it, everything should work including you shouldn't need a pin to get into the machine. if you need a pin then you have contracted a real nice trojan. if you get in without a PIN then go back into setting and turn on the ability to use a PIN again and reboot.

These things aren't all that difficult to fix, although after reading all these forums I'm glad I do this FT otherwise I'd make a mint having a service around here.. LOL
Old 04-24-2023, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
while this is a great decription, you are leaving out details that can pin point the issue. Standard practice here - the PIN is a number so there really is no need for a "abc", second there can be other things happening with your machine, which is acting like it has conctracted a virus, because of lack of detail I can't tell if you are entering a fake shell or not. considering what you have to do to get somewhere with it, I'd say it's very possible.

In order to help figure that out aside from root scanner etc. remove the PIN as a method and reboot this will clear it, everything should work including you shouldn't need a pin to get into the machine. if you need a pin then you have contracted a real nice trojan. if you get in without a PIN then go back into setting and turn on the ability to use a PIN again and reboot.

These things aren't all that difficult to fix, although after reading all these forums I'm glad I do this FT otherwise I'd make a mint having a service around here.. LOL
Looking at post #8 it appears he resolved the issue with information from post #4 and possibly #6.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-25-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
I run 10, have never used a pin or even been asked if I wanted a pin. Have not heard good things about 11.
W11 works fine.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 04-25-2023, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have been using Windows 11 since it first came out. I have not had any problems with it. It works a lot like Windows 10, but it allows you to install apps and also offers interfaces and syncing with your phone and tablets. I haven't used all of those features, but I don't see any reason to not do the free upgrade.

Note that, if you have workers or other strangers in your house, I would recommend using a PIN or password to prevent unwanted access to your computer. It only takes a few minutes to copy your entire hard drive onto a flash drive.
I have win 10 and can install apps. I also already sync my desktop with my laptop and android tablet. I can sync to my phone and had it synced at one point but it was slowing down my phone so I disabled that device from the sync list.
Closed Thread

Tags
pin, keys, enter, laptop, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.