T-Mobile Wifi

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default T-Mobile Wifi

Is anyone using T-Mobile WiFi? If so, would you recommend it. I'm actually looking to use it in an area of the country where WiFi is very expensive.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-15-2022, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Is anyone using T-Mobile WiFi? If so, would you recommend it. I'm actually looking to use it in an area of the country where WiFi is very expensive.
Are you referring to Internet service through a cellular network? If so, I would never use any cell network other than Verizon, if it is available. It is always the highest rated service. You don't need to subscribe directly with Verizon. You can find a lower priced service, such as Xfinity Mobile, which uses the Verizon network.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
There have been a couple of other threads on this. The consensus seems to be that if you have good 5G reception and not too many people in the area then it works fine. If the coverage is poor or there are a lot of people trying to use the tower then the wifi becomes less reliable.

I will soon be ordering one to try in the Villages and at my father's place out in the country as well.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-15-2022, 07:19 AM

I have had it since March. Just got the updated gateway (black and square vs. round and silver). A lot faster for me.
Not as fast as cable modem., but then at $30 a month, I don't care.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:02 AM
Sage

My summer home is in an area where the internet is provided by just one company. I cannot get Xfinity, have not tried Verizon for that area, but Xfinity suggested I try something like T-Mobiule.

I really do not want to go back to cable, expensive.

I should add that I went to the Xfinity store on 441 in Lady Lake and the young man I spoke with was very helpful. He is from the Northeast and understands the problems with living in a very rural area. He told me to tell the internet provider that I want 300mbps+ and to ask about unlimited. The people who answered my OP are obviously very knowledgeable, so do you agree with wht he told me, and is there anything else I need?

I am definitely going to chat with T-Mobile to see what they have.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 06-15-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
My summer home is in an area where the internet is provided by just one company. I cannot get Xfinity, have not tried Verizon for that area, but Xfinity suggested I try something like T-Mobiule.

I really do not want to go back to cable, expensive.

I should add that I went to the Xfinity store on 441 in Lady Lake and the young man I spoke with was very helpful. He is from the Northeast and understands the problems with living in a very rural area. He told me to tell the internet provider that I want 300mbps+ and to ask about unlimited. The people who answered my OP are obviously very knowledgeable, so do you agree with wht he told me, and is there anything else I need?

I am definitely going to chat with T-Mobile to see what they have.
The T-Mobile website will say the speeds range from 27Mbps to 300Mbps and there is no limit on usage (Xfinity has a 1TB limit).

The speed on the T-Mobile 5G internet is limited by the mobile network; they don't program in a number, you get whatever the network can provide, but the network can't provide much over 300Mbps and if it is busy then it won't be able to provide that.

I have lived with 25Mbps and 1TB for quite a while so the speeds on T-Mobile don't worry me, just availability and reliability in the remote area where I want to install it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-15-2022, 09:40 AM

2022 0615 Wed @ 10:39
Writing from Maryland, 21784* (zip code):

T-Mobile has provided us with a silver, cylindrical "cable modem" that provides wonderful service. We pay $30/month for unlimited usage. A coax cable does not connect to the "cable modem."

The unit has an electrical plug, in use. It also has two ethernet ports, a USB port and a UPS port.

Some notes:
+ We recently signed for two lines of mobile phones with T-Mobile. By signing up for the mobile phones in a two year contract, we secured a $30/month bill which was a ==> reduction from $50/month <==.
+ We have Amazon "Alexa" products scattered throughout the house. We have TP-Link (and other) smart plugs scattered here and there. We have two televisions connected via WiFi; one using the smart television's built-in technology, the other (older television) uses a Roku device. I have a Sonos audio system (sound bar, two surround speakers and a subwoofer) connected via WiFi. Our computers, watches, and tablet are also on the WiFi system.

* In TV, I use Xfinity / Comcast. My son signed up as he is residing there to "try out" Florida.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 AM

We use it in the house up North and it works great. Good reception, fast speeds (better that the "fiber" we originally had). Haven't tried it yet in TV but think it just depends on the area and how close you are to one of their towers.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:24 AM
Sage

Thanks to everyone who took the time to assist me. This is a truly great site for real help.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Sage

At this time T-Mobile and Verizon are offering 5G Home Internet. Here is a video comparing the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cui_GW57Yw&t=3s For over a year, this guys has been testing and tweaking the devices. He is located in rural Michigan boonies.

I have T-Mobile Home Internet in Tamarind Grove and I am very pleased with it. My needs are basic - steaming on Fire TV stick, email, web browsing. No gaming. My cost is $50/mo, no taxes/fees, no contract, no cost for equipment. If I had T-Mobile phone service, the internet could be less than $50.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I have been using it since last August. I pay $50 per month.

For my location in The Villages, it is OK but not perfect. My download speeds are typically 50 to 100 mb/sec and upload speeds are 5 to 15.. But that is more than twice as fast as the CenturyLink DSL it replaced.

My main issue is that I lose my internet connection 4 or 5 times per week. To fix this, I reboot the TMobile router. Rebooting always restores internet.

If I has fiber available in my area, I would immediately switch to that. But its not. Verizons service is also not available at my location. So I am sticking with TMobile until for now. I am happy with the service and price except for the need to reboot the router ….
Old 06-15-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
I have been using it since last August. I pay $50 per month.

My main issue is that I lose my internet connection 4 or 5 times per week. To fix this, I reboot the TMobile router. Rebooting always restores internet.

I am happy with the service and price except for the need to reboot the router ….
It is unfortunate that the solution is you have to reboot frequently, but if that is the solution, why not put your unit on a timer and have it power off daily for about 10 minutes in the middle of the night, or when ever your not using it. Hopefully that eliminate the need to re-boot when you are using it.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I tried it here in TV but just didn’t have a strong enough signal. Just a couple blocks can make a big difference. My sister has it in Wisconsin, where it is working great. I found that 3 bars is necessary to get enough bandwidth. It doesn’t cost anything to try and sending the router/modem back was not a problem.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:26 AM

We've been using T Mobile internet for the past 3 months and absolutely love it!! We have great service, reliability and no lag. We don't notice a difference from when we had Comcast minus the enormous bill.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Switched From Verizon…Terrific!

Terrific signal strength with T-Mobile wherever I go. Sorry Verizon, after many, many years… never again. And not insignificantly, my monthly bill is HALF that of Verizon’s.

Tags
wifi, t-mobile, country, area, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.