Is there any way to mute TV commercials?

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Default Mute commercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The OP is asking is there any way to mute commercials.

I don't understand what the problem is either. Just hit the remote. Skipping commercials is different than muting them.
Thank you. At least someone else reads the post and responds appropriately.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Seems to me the OP asked the direct question...... is there any way to MUTE TV commercials..... duh !!!!!!
And since I do not think there is anyway to mute just part of what is being shown gave him another suggestion.

Why do you think that is not a good idea?
Old 03-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Record & skip.

Live: Pause during commercials & skip.

Live: Mute & Go to the refrig, bathroom, check emails, check ToTV.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:07 AM

For over the air content (cut the cord 8 yrs ago) we recently purchased a Tablo DVR. It automatically skips commercials for recorded content, and the best part is that it looks two weeks ahead for what will be broadcast and presents it in a guide format like all the pay services. The commercial skip feature is a $60 per year add on and worth every penny. Imagine what it's like watching a NFL football game without all the ads and now political crap.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
For over the air content (cut the cord 8 yrs ago) we recently purchased a Tablo DVR. It automatically skips commercials for recorded content, and the best part is that it looks two weeks ahead for what will be broadcast and presents it in a guide format like all the pay services. The commercial skip feature is a $60 per year add on and worth every penny. Imagine what it's like watching a NFL football game without all the ads and now political crap.
interesting, thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
interesting, thanks
Apparently, it only works with an over-the-air antenna. It won't work with cable or streaming services.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Press button marked 'Off.'
None of my televisions or remotes have a button marked "OFF".
Old 03-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Let's see - Dan Newlin, John Morgan, Local Steals and Deals, Appliance Direct, Appliance Stockade, Toyota of Orlando, yada yada yada.

50 years ago there was a product called MuteMagic that apparently was pretty simple and effective - so the feds did away with it, of course.

It seems there should be some kind of artificial intelligence option to either automatically mute commercials or change to music or something. Right now my darling wife mutes it all the time which works pretty well, but she's not always in the room. LOLOL.

If anyone has any good ideas, share 'em.
MuteDaddy is a handheld device that works with almost every modern TV that has a remote. MuteDaddy activates the mute feature on the TV during loud, obnoxious, or repetitive commercials with a press of the big, can't miss, button. You can almost instantly mute for 30 seconds to four minutes.
Try Amazon search its $14.99 if it doesn't work send it back.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

We have a TIVO DVR and it has an auto skip function for many programs about an hour after the program has been recorded. It is super fast compared to skipping even at the fastest speed by hand and no chance of missing the start of the non commercial material.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:24 PM

The Feds didn't "do away" anything. Studios and TV service providers sue the products into oblivion.
How To Automatically Mute Sound During TV Commercials – Home Audio Forge
Old 03-22-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Let's see - Dan Newlin, John Morgan, Local Steals and Deals, Appliance Direct, Appliance Stockade, Toyota of Orlando, yada yada yada.

50 years ago there was a product called MuteMagic that apparently was pretty simple and effective - so the feds did away with it, of course.

It seems there should be some kind of artificial intelligence option to either automatically mute commercials or change to music or something. Right now my darling wife mutes it all the time which works pretty well, but she's not always in the room. LOLOL.

If anyone has any good ideas, share 'em.
Try the mute button on the remote!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
That is our sons method and have adopted it.

For pro sports I dvr and than start to watch 1 hour later for football getting to live action about 4th qtr.

These days we dvr everything we watch.
WOW you amaze me
Old 03-23-2021, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

Not that I'm aware of.

I vaguely remember some Federal regulation in the 80's or 90's, that limited the increased volume that broadcast commercials were using over the regular program volume. They wanted to get your attention. I don't believe that pertained to cable or eventually streaming.

Just bought a Smart Samsung TV that has a mode for "audio normalization'', that at least keeps the volume at a consistent level. A good tablet or PC audio card will also have this feature. So it depends on the device.

I believe there is a tone or some method in the audio/video stream to identify that it is time for a commercial, so a device is possible, but would be subject to numerous law suits.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
And since I do not think there is anyway to mute just part of what is being shown gave him another suggestion.

Why do you think that is not a good idea?
agreed
Closed Thread

Tags
yada, pretty, commercials, mute, appliance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.