Is this too good to be true.,TV BOX, cut the cable

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Is this too good to be true.,TV BOX, cut the cable

www.icooladgets.com. tv box

Last edited by jebartle; 03-01-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Coolgadgets.Com. tv box
I can't get it to open Jeannie.

I hope it is something that can supply a happier experience than our satellite disc. Hundreds of channels and mostly junk and commercials.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can't get it to open Jeannie.

I hope it is something that can supply a happier experience than our satellite disc. Hundreds of channels and mostly junk and commercials.
iCool Gadgets
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM

Keep in mind these boxes are running KODI with a pirate app to get movies and TV.
There boxes WILL fail and the movie industry is sending takedown notices
to the places that sell and update them.

Use boxes like that at your own risk.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran member

The write up on the web page for it makes it sound like just another streamer, kind of like a Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Firestick, etc. So if that's all there is to it, then it's probably a legitimate device. If, however, it implies anywhere that you can get broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc.), premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.), big sports networks (ESPN, etc.) or most other networks you've ever heard of for free, then no, it is too good to be true. That would make it a scam as they would be pirating those networks and passing them along to you. It might actually work for a while, but sooner or later it would end. Legitimate streaming devices might have some free services but mostly they are just the hardware that allows you to stream video from paid services. And the number of paid services is growing all the time, so you may find yourself paying as much or more than your cable or satellite bill if you sign up for enough such services. It all depends on just what al channels you watch and which services you need to get to them (if they are even available currently via streaming - not all are).
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
The write up on the web page for it makes it sound like just another streamer, kind of like a Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Firestick, etc. So if that's all there is to it, then it's probably a legitimate device. If, however, it implies anywhere that you can get broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc.), premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.), big sports networks (ESPN, etc.) or most other networks you've ever heard of for free, then no, it is too good to be true. That would make it a scam as they would be pirating those networks and passing them along to you. It might actually work for a while, but sooner or later it would end. Legitimate streaming devices might have some free services but mostly they are just the hardware that allows you to stream video from paid services. And the number of paid services is growing all the time, so you may find yourself paying as much or more than your cable or satellite bill if you sign up for enough such services. It all depends on just what al channels you watch and which services you need to get to them (if they are even available currently via streaming - not all are).
If you wants television reception for,the major networks, ABC, CBS. NBC, etc. some are putting television antennas in their attics and others are buying indoor antennas that seem to work. The cable company costs have spiraled out of sight. Competition was suppose to reduce cost to the consumer but hasn’t happen.....
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Default You might want to check this link

Icoolgadgets.com – Dirty Scam
Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage

I believe most of the cost of "cable" television is the cost of programming (what ESPN, Discovery, etc. charge the "cable" providers for their programming). There really isn't any competition between "cable" TV providers as they are all most likely charged the same by ESPN, Discovery, etc. and most provide a "package" of channels, many of which you probably don't want but are forced to pay for. If you want to reduce your costs, find sources for just the programming you are interested in. This sort of a la carte approach is becoming more common. I use an over-the-air antenna to pull in the channels from Orlando and supplement with Netflix and Amazon Prime via Roku boxes. I cut the cord 7 years ago and haven't looked back. If you go the Kodi player route you may want to think about using a VPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If you wants television reception for,the major networks, ABC, CBS. NBC, etc. some are putting television antennas in their attics and others are buying indoor antennas that seem to work. The cable company costs have spiraled out of sight. Competition was suppose to reduce cost to the consumer but hasn’t happen.....

Last edited by biker1; 03-14-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Hi justjim,

We recently moved here and are having problems getting any channels on our new smart tv. We actually bought a new HD antenna at Best Buy, new cable, and a new smart TV. It worked for a day and now we have nothing. We cannot figure out why we had channels before, and everything stop working now. Can you help us? Frustrated!!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Two thoughts on this, without very fast and consistent high speed internet service any streeming service is pretty much worthless. Second, with the repeal of net neutrality regulations, the providers of high speed internet will likely start to throttle down the speed of streeming survices unless they pay providers a fee for pushing data through their lines. This fee will ultimately be passed on to us, the ultimate end users.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Sage

It depends on your definition of "very fast". 1080p Hi-Def via Netflix consumes approximately 5 megabits per second of bandwidth. This is a relatively low percentage of the available bandwidth for many people (i.e. many people have 100 megabit per second internet access) and less than what is available to probably everyone in The Villages. In addition, Netflix is able to adjust the resolution downward to match the actual bandwidth so as to avoid buffering delays. For example, if there is insufficient bandwidth to support 1080p then it will reduce the resolution to 720p or lower. We have been using Netflix streaming for about 7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Two thoughts on this, without very fast and consistent high speed internet service any streeming service is pretty much worthless. Second, with the repeal of net neutrality regulations, the providers of high speed internet will likely start to throttle down the speed of streeming survices unless they pay providers a fee for pushing data through their lines. This fee will ultimately be passed on to us, the ultimate end users.

Last edited by biker1; 05-15-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyLong View Post
Hi justjim,

We recently moved here and are having problems getting any channels on our new smart tv. We actually bought a new HD antenna at Best Buy, new cable, and a new smart TV. It worked for a day and now we have nothing. We cannot figure out why we had channels before, and everything stop working now. Can you help us? Frustrated!!
I just started experimenting with an OUTDOOR TV antenna, I had determined in the attic was not going to work. My first attempt I was able to get around 55 or so channels out of Orlando using a dB4e antenna, but I could not get WESH (2.1). Some research showed this is a VHF signal, and the dB4e antenna is optimized for UHF signals, so I bought a second antenna that covers both VHF and UHF. On a good day, I get around 64 channels, however, I do not get these reliably. I was discussing this with another villager who does get reliable reception with the dB4e antenna, as it turns out his house is about 25 feet higher than mine, makes a big difference. I have not tried an indoor antenna, but if the house has a stucco finish with wire mesh, this may be interfering with your signal reception.
I think because of the house being lower I am just on the fringe of getting reliable signal reception. I have a couple of other things to try. Like a different amplifier. I am sure that raising the antenna higher would help a lot, but not sure i want to do that. This house is located in the village of Pinellas.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I just started experimenting with an OUTDOOR TV antenna, I had determined in the attic was not going to work. My first attempt I was able to get around 55 or so channels out of Orlando using a dB4e antenna, but I could not get WESH (2.1). Some research showed this is a VHF signal, and the dB4e antenna is optimized for UHF signals, so I bought a second antenna that covers both VHF and UHF. On a good day, I get around 64 channels, however, I do not get these reliably. I was discussing this with another villager who does get reliable reception with the dB4e antenna, as it turns out his house is about 25 feet higher than mine, makes a big difference. I have not tried an indoor antenna, but if the house has a stucco finish with wire mesh, this may be interfering with your signal reception.
I think because of the house being lower I am just on the fringe of getting reliable signal reception. I have a couple of other things to try. Like a different amplifier. I am sure that raising the antenna higher would help a lot, but not sure i want to do that. This house is located in the village of Pinellas.
We have a similar problem, our Village of LaZamora, LOTS of trees and even further from Orlando
Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

I live in Country Club Hills, where I live I have a 25' mast with an 18" antenna on a rotor, I get several stations including WESH, but it comes and goes. I've done a lot of research, and from I am seeing, I may need a bigger antenna on a higher pole with a preamp on the pole and an amp to the TV. Maybe even a LTE filter. But, I hate to spend the money if that doesn't fix the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage

I have a db4e (via Tom at VillagesAV.com), with an amplifier, mounted in the attic and I pull in about 52 stations including NBC (about 95% of the time) from Orlando. When it comes to antennas, there is no substitute for size and elevation. The db4e is a pretty good sized panel. Another alternative is YoutubeTV for about $35 per month. You will get the local network affiliates out of Orlando and a bunch of other stuff. It is a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I live in Country Club Hills, where I live I have a 25' mast with an 18" antenna on a rotor, I get several stations including WESH, but it comes and goes. I've done a lot of research, and from I am seeing, I may need a bigger antenna on a higher pole with a preamp on the pole and an amp to the TV. Maybe even a LTE filter. But, I hate to spend the money if that doesn't fix the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Closed Thread

Tags
box, cut, coolgadgets.com, cable, true., tv

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.