totv questions

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Default totv questions

Like I said earlier, this is the first forum thing I've ever been on, so be gentile . The first thing is, is this a blog? Next what is LOL or LOLOL? also what is the figure that says roflmao some put in their post? On the bottom of the start page it shows how many people are users and guests then shows that the most online was May 3 2008 # 236. What happened that day to make so many people go online? Dumb questions I know but I'm learning. Benj
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: totv questions

LOL benj........ sometimes I'm not very gentile but always gentle LOL means Laughing Out Loud ;D rotflmao means Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Arse Off ;D

It's 'puter talk ;D
Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Eternal Member

Here is a list of most of the abbreviations:

http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/sDef...211776,00.html

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 AM

Coneyisbabe, Ok Ok so I can't spell. The funny thing is there is spell check on my apple.LOL take that! Benj
Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Veteran member

benj...... you learn fast 1rnfl ........... rotflmao
Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 AM

zcaveman, thanks for the site for abbreviations. I didn't know I needed to learn a new language. That site had hundreds of them. I guessed one, BFD, got it right. I think I'll learn by osmosis. My heads to old. Benj
Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj
Like I said earlier, this is the first forum thing I've ever been on, so be gentile . The first thing is, is this a blog? Next what is LOL or LOLOL? also what is the figure that says roflmao some put in their post? On the bottom of the start page it shows how many people are users and guests then shows that the most online was May 3 2008 # 236. What happened that day to make so many people go online? Dumb questions I know but I'm learning. Benj
Hi benj,

Don't feel bad. I don't know what's going on a lot of the time either. And this is my only experience with a board. I hear it is an exceptional place. I can answer some of your questions.

LOL is "Laughing out Loud."

And I am not sure about the LOLOL. But I think it means they just keep laughing.

And I think that little guy is "Rolling on floor laughing my a** off."

As an example of how out of the loop I was when I got here, I will tell you that it took me forever to figure out how to edit. And nice people here helped me.

I was always staring helplessly as my mistakes glared back at me from the screen after I had sent them to post. Finally, I threw myself on the mercy of these kind strangers, and they guided me through it. As I recall it became kind of an on board project. They must have thought, "Boomer is an idiot." But they helped me anyway.

You see, I had been looking and looking at that word "modify" in that little box and, for some reason, it never occurred to me that "modify" meant "edit." I guess I have no vocabulary much.

I do not have any idea what happened on that big day in TOTV history. Maybe the planets aligned or something.

And I don't even know for sure what a blog is. So I don't know if this is one or not. Or is it a bulletin board?Somebody will know.

But I do have one piece of advice. If your computer is in your kitchen or somewhere in the main living area of your house, you must move it immediately to a dark and dreary corner somewhere, and then pile laundry on it so you avoid it. My computer is right here in the middle of everything. And I check this site way too often. So be careful. And don't say I did not warn you.

Boomer

Well, I just tried to post this and got the red sign. There are other kind strnagers here I see. (Hello kind strangers.) Had I not been taking a phone call while I was writing this, I would have sent it faster. Oh well. I am going to send it anyway. Even though it might end up being redundant.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Veteran member

benj...... here's another tip :

Any time you have a computer-related question, or actually any question at all, about anything...... go to

google.com

and (in the search box) type in your question, or your topic, or a person's name, or whatever.... (click on enter) and you will instantly receive a zillion answers. Start clicking on the choices and you will be amazed at the information out there, all at our fingertips.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 AM

Boomer and coney, may I call you coney? I can't believe my attraction to this computer stuff. I've had computers for years and never turned them on. Once I had to delete 1430 e mails I never read. Coney I found Google awhile ago. Now I know why those guys are billionaires. And Boomer I'm on this stupid machine all day if I'm not careful. You are right about not keeping this thing in plain site. I had visitors last week and almost got withdrawal symptoms.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Sage

benj,

Please dont feel bad, when I first came on TOTV I didnt know what TV stood for. I thought it was television!!! Now thats really bad, you cant imagine my humiliation. :

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Nope, this isn't a blog. A blog is a website prepared by one person (or a special group) without members like this. Frequently, strangers cannot post to blogs -- they are somewhat like a public diary. This is a forum where people can join. It has sub-forums which are basically categories. When you start a new subject such as this one, it is called a thread. A reply is a response or reply.

Honestly don't remember what made May 3 so special. Maybe something to do with the horse park issue? Who knows? It could be have been bad weather and a lot of bored people.

I'll try to find a list of online abbreviations for you and post them on a new thread or at least attach a link.

Hope this helps a little. And remember, the only stupid question is the question that is never asked.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Sage

May 3 was right after admins sent out an email to all registered users on TOTV.... reminding everyone (especially those who maybe hadn't been online in awhile) to come back in and check it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
benj,

Please dont feel bad, when I first came on TOTV I didnt know what TV stood for. I thought it was television!!! Now thats really bad, you cant imagine my humiliation. :
Oh Nonie,

Please do not feel like the Lone Ranger. (Isn't it nice we are mostly old enough here to remember him together.) I knew that "Talk of the Villages" is clever in itself, but it was only about two weeks ago that I realized that also says, "TO TV." And that is where a percentage here are headed eventually, even though they are not there yet.

Boomer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.