Turned old iPhone into iPod

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2022, 09:12 PM
Default Turned old iPhone into iPod

My old original iPod has been acting up so I turned an old phone into what is basically an iPod Touch. I kept my old iPod connected via the aux. outlet in my car but when I plug in the new one, it goes into Apple Car Play. This overrides my actual phone so it doesn’t connect to the car through Bluetooth so I can’t receive calls. I don’t like Car Play since it requires plugging and unplugging my phone each time I get in the car. I have cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disconnected on the old phone. Is there any way to use it like my old iPod? I can use my new phone for music with Bluetooth but wonder if that uses cellular minutes. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Of course you will use data to stream musics. The only reason you would need the phone or iPad connected with data cable is for gps directions on screen and charging. When you pair the iPad/iPod/iPhone it will play music by Bluetooth connection with car radio.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

The radio in my vehicle will use whatever is plugged in regardless of any other available device. It can only connect to a single device and the one that is plugged in will win. My radio does not have a setting that will allow me to use the bluetooth for a phone connection while using the cable for music. I have not looked on the phone to see if there is an option to turn off car play or disable some functionality through the cable.

I would say it is probably not possible to hook the old phone up for music while also having the new phone connected for calls.

Playing music would not use cellular minutes. Playing music could use cellular data if you were using a streaming service. Playing music from your itunes library that is stored on your phone (not streaming) would not use any data just as playing from the ipod did not use any data. Easy way to test this is to disable cellular on the phone and then try playing the music - if it works (it should) then you know it works without using cellular at all.

There should be a Setting under Music for Cellular Data. Turn this off and the Music player should not be able to use cellular data. This would stop any accidental streaming or downloading from that particular app.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-28-2022, 09:30 AM

What is the source of your music …. Is it a streaming service or files on your ipod?

In my case, I rarely use streaming service unless it is a podcast as all of my music is saved to files.. i have an ipod … but never use it as I have all my music files saved on my iphone.

So when I am in my car, music automatically streams via bluetooth (or cable … if i connect the cable) from my iphone. Phone calls continue to work on the same phone (just auto-muting the music) …. In my case playing music does not use data as the files are on my iphone. However, I sometimes listen to podcasts in the car … and that does use a few megabytes of data if the podcast has not yet been downloaded.

So, it is not clear to me why you need your ipod …. Just load your music files onto your iphone and all is well in your car with that device only.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. My iTunes library has always been on my phone, nearly 8,000 songs. I found directions online on how to disable Apple Car Play. I can now continue to happily toggle among the various audio sources and between different playlists on the two devices by using the controls on my steering wheel. I like the iPod because it displays album art while Bluetooth cannot.
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, car, ipod, bluetooth, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.