Unlocked Cell Phones

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Cool Unlocked Meaning

Unlocked means that you are not tied to a specific cell phone company and can cancel from 1 company and move it to another. It is more expensive, but some people do not like being stuck with 1 cell provider.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Wow..that was very educational. What a nice response to a question that many have pondered by many but were afraid to ask...
Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
While looking on Ebay at new unlocked cell phones I noticed many are listed as "international Versions". Could someone explain what this means?
There are/were basically four high frequencies cellphone bands that are used worldwide in different areas of the world. They are 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 or derivatives thereof. Two of these are GSM (with Sim card) and the others are CDMA. Most cellphones use only two bands in a particular country. International phones are able to work on any of the four bands and usually cost more. So you do not have to buy a different phone to use in another country. If you live in the US you could step off a plane with your same phone in Europe and make a call. This is the reason one carrier's issued phone even here in the US may not work with another carrier. As 4G and 5G showed up things are a little more complicated now with smart phones and such; but this is the basic reason for the difference.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 PM

I forgot. Unlocked means it will work on other carriers whether in US or other. International means it will work on all four bands. So Unlocked International is the most flexible. Double sim card phones means you can have two completely different phone numbers on one phone that operate independently as if you are holding two phones. You can even put one on hold and answer the other number, different call waiting, etc. Work and personal, etc. You have to pay for two lines from the carrier of course.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlifOlif View Post
My telephone was made in China. So this is an international phone. However, I never called China since I can't understand Chinese!

中文真的很容易理解
Zhōngwén zhēn de hěn róngyì lǐjiě
Closed Thread

Tags
unlocked, phones, cell, listed, explain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.