Unlocked Cell Phones

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts
Default Unlocked Cell Phones

While looking on Ebay at new unlocked cell phones I noticed many are listed as "international Versions". Could someone explain what this means?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
While looking on Ebay at new unlocked cell phones I noticed many are listed as "international Versions". Could someone explain what this means?
cell phone international version what does that mean - Google Search

I'm looking too. Hope someone can explain.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:47 AM

“International version” cell phone??? You got me. I don’t even know what an “unlocked” cell phone is.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I have one. It is a flip phone. Samsung GT-2530 with " Mobal " the servicing company, based in the UK. The phone is basically useless now.

The flip phone that I have will work in Europe and the UK but will not work here. I have since stopped using it as it is far to expensive to make a call.

For example: Incoming calls within the UK … Free

Incoming Calls: $ 1.25 a minute Outside of the UK

Outbound Calls: $ 1.25 a minute within the UK, Europe

Outbound Calls: $ 1.50 a minute to USA, Canada

I have a flip phone that I use here ( USA ) serviced by " TracFone " .

With the iPhone we use ( Verizon ) we get a universal plan while outside the USA.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

i don't think you want an international version in in florida

they are made and used across the pond
if you travel, these phones can be cheaper "over there".

not worth the risk
Old 05-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

From a Google search:

International Version means it was not made for the U.S. market. Often they will work in the U.S. with compatible networks. You need to make sure before you purchase one.

The following websites can help you pick an international phone that will work in the U.S. but always check with your carrier...

PhoneArena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs
GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more...
Phone Scoop
Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
i don't think you want an international version in in florida

they are made and used across the pond
if you travel, these phones can be cheaper "over there".

not worth the risk
Using a IPhone in the UK and Europe is the only way to go. We use a Verizon Plan for specific period of time and minutes.

We also take advantage of a discount that we are eligible for.

When our family who live in England come here they use a similar plan that is best for them which they purchase from the provider that they use.

I have no idea what you are talking about buying a phone " Over There " is cheaper. Makes no sense.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
From a Google search:

International Version means it was not made for the U.S. market. Often they will work in the U.S. with compatible networks. You need to make sure before you purchase one.

The following websites can help you pick an international phone that will work in the U.S. but always check with your carrier...

PhoneArena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs
GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more...
Phone Scoop
I believe my 2 post make it crystal clear what the original post(s) were asking.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

The seller on Ebay said phone will work on US Verizon, BUT all the phones features may not work.

So, forget that idea.

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Using a IPhone in the UK and Europe is the only way to go. We use a Verizon Plan for specific period of time and minutes.

We also take advantage of a discount that we are eligible for.

When our family who live in England come here they use a similar plan that is best for them which they purchase from the provider that they use.

I have no idea what you are talking about buying a phone " Over There " is cheaper. Makes no sense.

For short trips, we used our US Verizon plan as well. Purchased data and minutes. For extended stay trips, our company had phones from across the pond and the minutes/data was cheaper than US based phones.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 AM

I have lived between the US and Japan for the past 11 years. I have a Japanese iPhone and just switch SIM cards when entering a new country. I paid my carrier to unlock it before my trip to the states the first time. The only difference in the Japanese iPhone is it makes a shutter click sound when you take a photo and makes a chime sound when you start a video.
The law here requires it. If the phone is a recent model and unlocked you should be able to get a SIM card from a US carrier to use it. I’d recommend checking with the carrier first.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

It means they work in other countries when you buy " sim" chips that the carriers sell . For instance I travel to Asia . With one phone I use a mainland China chip then switch to a Hong Kong chip . SIM chips are what hold your minutes . Like memory chips for cameras . You can buy them anywhere in Europe or asia . Instead of reloading a prepaid phone
Old 05-27-2020, 06:08 AM
Default Unlocked is preferable

In short, an unlocked phone is a phone that is not exclusively tied to a single carrier. Unlocked phones can be moved from one network to another, typically by swapping the SIM card inside. Your device's SIM card is basically the physical pass that allows your device to connect to a specific network.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:44 AM

I have purchased and used several "international" versions of Samsung phones that were unlocked.

Unlocked simply means that any SIM will work, as the phone is not locked to a specific carrier.

One needs to be careful as not all unlocked phones are compatible with the Verizon network. This is because Verizon requires certain technology (CDMA) for the radios inside for US locations. Outside the US, those Verizon phones roam using GSM cell carriers.

International models also sometimes have unique features not offered in the US. My Samsung S7 Edge had slits for 2 SIMs, permitting me to use my US phone number as well as a local number when traveling in Asia and Europe. I purchased a local travel SIM in some countries to avoid roaming charges.

These phones lack US carrier applications and bloatware - apps that use memory. I had no issues on ATT, but was able to manually install a few ATT apps that I wanted.

Finally, the international version may have a warranty that is not honored in the US.

Bottom line, you need to understand the details to make sure the phone will work as expected, and what to do if something goes wrong.

Yes, sometimes prices can be very good. I purchased mine from reputable vendor on eBay, for new, unlocked, factory sealed phones intended for the UAE. They were shipped by a Houston vendor.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 AM

I have an unlocked international Moto g7 power.

It will not work with Verizon but runs TMobile.

I forget the technical terms but TMobile and Verizon use different methods to reach your phone. The phone that I bought will not operate on the Verizon plan. I bought it on purpose because it came with more ram
Closed Thread

Tags
unlocked, phones, cell, listed, explain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.