Upgrading Router

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2021, 11:07 PM
Veteran member
Default Upgrading Router

Looking to move to a mesh system looking at the Linksys AC2200.
And adding nodes if needed, house is just under 1600 sq. ft. Modem and router are located in front bedroom/office with my Ooma telephone base and printer.
Any input or recommendations appreciated.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

I just have an inexpensive Wi-Fi extender but the mesh system and that 2200 Link should be more than plenty for around here… I have about 12 devices on my tiny system , works good..
Old 11-26-2021, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

The Netgear Orbi mesh systems provide the fastest and best coverage. Linksys works well, but doesn't have the reach that the Netgear does. Linksys mesh system (Velop) has half the speed on their backhaul line. The Linksys is basically a glorified standard router, not a true mesh system. The Orbi is a true mesh system.

Do a little research and read reviews where they actually test throughput and range and provide real numbers. It's not even close.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:48 AM
Default Wireless AC vs AX (new standard)

If you're about to buy a new WiFi router anyway, I suggest that you go with the new "AX" (WiFi 6) standard.
The one you are considering is "AC" (WiFi 5) standard.
No one used to call it WiFi 5, but they do now.

What's the difference between 802.11ac vs. 802.11ax?

I have also read that when you go the mesh route, anything going through that mesh node, goes at half speed. That was not acceptable, so went with an ASUS AX-5400 and although it is twice the price, it seems to have very good range and looks like I'll be able to bypass any thoughts of mesh. I believe the increased range is due to the WiFi 6 standard. So far, so good.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

We have a house of 3200 square feet, and no problem with the Xfinity router, even covers the lanai and garage, and I just installed a new WiFi transceiver on my computer and now get 200meg to 250 meg download speed over the WiFi, without the need for any repeaters.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We have a house of 3200 square feet, and no problem with the Xfinity router, even covers the lanai and garage, and I just installed a new WiFi transceiver on my computer and now get 200meg to 250 meg download speed over the WiFi, without the need for any repeaters.
Would you share the number of the device, I presume it is a gateway (modem/router combined)?
Old 11-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Would you share the number of the device, I presume it is a gateway (modem/router combined)?
Yes, the Xfinity gateway was supplied by them, the new USB is a TP-Link AC600, and was around $15 on Amazon.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
We have the same set up (xfinity router/modem all in one) - last spring we had 3 working from home, smart TV, thermostat, phones, iPads all connected, with no problem.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:02 PM
Default Have Century link. Cannot use tablet on lanai (1960 s.f. house)

What do I buy to increase strength still using Century Link?
I have a Linksys MR9000 router, which cost over $100. didn't help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated (without selling the farm to get more strength)
Old 11-30-2021, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
What do I buy to increase strength still using Century Link?
I have a Linksys MR9000 router, which cost over $100. didn't help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated (without selling the farm to get more strength)
The first thing I'd try would be to move the router to another room. We have our router in the living room (Aspen Model) and it reaches everywhere in the house, including the lanai and garage...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 AM

I've got a NETGEAR N750 Dual Band 4 Port Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300) that I installed 2 years ago. I use Xfinity and I just checked my speed as I'm typing and my download speed was 236 Mbps. It varies by time of day, traffic, etc. I like this Xfinity speed test: Internet Speed Test | Comcast Business.

But the best thing I did was run a dedicated cable line behind my refrigerator and installed my router and modem inside the cabinet above the refrigerator - out of site out of mind. I also have a UPS in the cabinet so the internet and WIFI still operate even in a power outage. Hole in bottom of cabinet for cables running behind the refrigerator. Most will say don't block the modem or locate inside a cabinet, but I say install it as high as you can and in the center of the house. We had a plant shelf above the refrigerator in our prior house (Gardenia). I installed a dedicated cable on the wall at the back of the plant shelf and located the UPS, modem, and WIFI on the plant shelf. It worked great. A porcelain jar and few plants to camouflage and the wife was happy.

I get great WIFI and speed in garage, on lanai, front porch, and anywhere in the house. I tried extenders and a few other things, but high in the center of the house works best.

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem with Voice (CM1150) - Certified for Xfinity by Comcast Internet & Voice Plans Up to 800Mbps.

Last edited by PJ_Smiley; 12-01-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
If you're about to buy a new WiFi router anyway, I suggest that you go with the new "AX" (WiFi 6) standard.
The one you are considering is "AC" (WiFi 5) standard.
No one used to call it WiFi 5, but they do now.

What's the difference between 802.11ac vs. 802.11ax?

I have also read that when you go the mesh route, anything going through that mesh node, goes at half speed. That was not acceptable, so went with an ASUS AX-5400 and although it is twice the price, it seems to have very good range and looks like I'll be able to bypass any thoughts of mesh. I believe the increased range is due to the WiFi 6 standard. So far, so good.
I am a big fan of Asus routers and commercial networking is part of why I do professionally. I've installed, helped install, recommended and consulted on probably 100 ASUS routers over the years, I've had one die in all that time.

We're finally moving into our second TV home and I just bought an Asus AX6000 on one of those Black Friday deals. I can AI Mesh my older Asus routers to that if necessary, but I doubt it will be. Won't be over to the new place for a few weeks yet, but I have the AC predecessor version of this router now at the current place and the signal is booming all over the house, so I don't predict any issues.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
You seem to be a tech-savvy person I'd be interested to know why you choose to rent your modem/router from Xfinity instead of purchasing one?
Old 12-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Default Eero Mesh Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp52 View Post
Looking to move to a mesh system looking at the Linksys AC2200.
And adding nodes if needed, house is just under 1600 sq. ft. Modem and router are located in front bedroom/office with my Ooma telephone base and printer.
Any input or recommendations appreciated.
QUOTE]

I have eero mesh. Spectrum removed the router when they realized i had an eero. I get 486 meg download, which is almost 20% higher than the feed of 400. I have been streaming everything for 5 years and we have a solid set up.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
You seem to be a tech-savvy person I'd be interested to know why you choose to rent your modem/router from Xfinity instead of purchasing one?
I had some problems early on, and since this was THEIR equipment, it was no cost to me, the last problem took 2 or 3 inspections, 2 technicians, and finally an entirely new cable from the box in the yard to the house, about 100 feet all underground. I may consider my own router/modem, but right now I think I am ahead on potential charges for repairs and trouble shooting.

Tags
router, upgrading, located, front, bedroom/office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.