User Login

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts
Default User Login

I am using FireFox for going to ToTV, however due to my occasional fumble finger typing, I now have about 7 or 8 'saved' logins that pop up when I click on the used login field. I have tried everything I can find on FireFox to eliminate, to no avail. If I use another browser these do not appear so I am reasonable sure this is a problem with FireFox. If you have any ideas I would appreciate the help.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 PM
Sage

I have the same issue. Not 7 or 8, but one that is very annoying. Hope someone has the answer.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am using FireFox for going to ToTV, however due to my occasional fumble finger typing, I now have about 7 or 8 'saved' logins that pop up when I click on the used login field. I have tried everything I can find on FireFox to eliminate, to no avail. If I use another browser these do not appear so I am reasonable sure this is a problem with FireFox. If you have any ideas I would appreciate the help.
Try, right click in “User Name”, click on “Fill Login”, go to “View Saved Logins”, pick a name on the left of window and click remove on upper right of window.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Try, right click in “User Name”, click on “Fill Login”, go to “View Saved Logins”, pick a name on the left of window and click remove on upper right of window.
I think I tried both right and left clicks in that field, but I will double check later today, thanks for the help. VT
Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
I tried the above in FireFox, I got NO logins found, tried is Edge, and the list does NOT appear at all, so this is a Fire Fox problem. I will go back to FireFox help and see what I can find...……… Thanks again for the info. VT
Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I tried the above in FireFox, I got NO logins found, tried is Edge, and the list does NOT appear at all, so this is a Fire Fox problem. I will go back to FireFox help and see what I can find...……… Thanks again for the info. VT
I should a said before you log in right click in “User Name”…….
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM

In a Firefox window, open the menu (3 parallel bars, upper right corner). Select "logins and passwords". Your saved logins are listed in the left pane. Click on the ones of interest. In the right pane, near the upper right are Edit and Remove buttons. Use these to fix or delete the mistyped saved logins.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Sage

I have NO saved logins, what has happened is that while trying to login to ToTV, I managed to mistype my user name a few times. something is saving these so when I go back to this site, I get a list of all the incorrect user names. This only occurs in FireFox, if I go in with IE11, or EDGE I do not see the incorrect (any ANY) logins listed. As mentioned above, I did check BEFORE I actually logged in. I have cleared the FireFox cache, I have also followed the instructions to clear cookies, etc., so far no luck...
Old 02-19-2020, 01:54 AM

I understand your quandary better now. Firefox saved logins are kept in the files key4.db and logins.json. These files are in the directory %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{xxxxxxxx}.defa ult\, or typically C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefo x\Profiles\{xxxxxxxx}.default\

[The AppData directory is hidden. If you put %APPDATA% in the File Explorer location bar and press Enter, you won't need to change your settings to show hidden files and directories.
The strings "{...}" are unique to your username and Firefox profile and have no curly brackets.]

As you have and want NO saved logins. I'd try looking for those files and deleting them. Do not have Firefox running when you do this. When you've done this and restarted Firefox, make sure the option to save logins is disabled.

This should solve the issue, but if you've never allowed Firefox to save login data, you shouldn't have had the issue to begin with. I guess we'll see.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I understand your quandary better now. Firefox saved logins are kept in the files key4.db and logins.json. These files are in the directory %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{xxxxxxxx}.defa ult\, or typically C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefo x\Profiles\{xxxxxxxx}.default\

[The AppData directory is hidden. If you put %APPDATA% in the File Explorer location bar and press Enter, you won't need to change your settings to show hidden files and directories.
The strings "{...}" are unique to your username and Firefox profile and have no curly brackets.]

As you have and want NO saved logins. I'd try looking for those files and deleting them. Do not have Firefox running when you do this. When you've done this and restarted Firefox, make sure the option to save logins is disabled.

This should solve the issue, but if you've never allowed Firefox to save login data, you shouldn't have had the issue to begin with. I guess we'll see.
I tried this solution, and I found the mentioned files, which I deleted in both locations, I also noticed there were files key3.db that I did NOT delete. I still see the same list of fumble finger logins. I have sent a message to the ToTV admin, on the off chance that these are somehow stored on their site, or in a cookie....
Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 PM

I'll keep thinking. My only other idea doesn't seem likely: Some (probably advertising) malware infected your system and captured your logins. You don't seem the type to have not noticed other symptoms, nor to have had some malware protection. I also doubt TOTV would be silly enough to store bad logins. They already have your correct login. There's always nuking from orbit. Maybe it's time.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 PM

It just dawned on me you said you deleted the internal Firefox files from BOTH locations. A properly functioning Windows should resolve either reference to one and only one directory. Possible filesystem corruption? Windows is very tolerant and tries to work around small issues. A minor filesystem corruption may be difficult to positively diagnose. If your main drive and home are not encrypted, you could try booting from a USB based Linux distro and see what your directories look like. Unless you get an obvious filesystem error, you really haven't learned much.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage

Solution FOUND! Using FireFox, from the user ID field, press the down arrow until you get to the incorrect listing and simply press DELETE, I did this 5 or 6 times, and all of the fumble finger entries have been deleted. This was so simple I cannot believe I missed it............

Tags
firefox, login, eliminate, avail, browser

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.