Virus Problems on old Desktop

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Default Virus Problems on old Desktop

My neighbor has a PC that is 6 or so years old and has a virus. Apparently, he also never had an anti-virus program installed. He only uses his computer for some Internet searches and to play solitaire, so he's not sure he needs to buy a new computer and start over - this time with protection! In the meantime, can we download an anti-virus program like Kaspersky, even with an active virus already on the old computer? He's not computer literate, so whether or not he keeps his old computer or buys a new one, he will need computer help. Can anyone suggest someone who could help him set up his computer and load it with what he needs?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Sage

Download Malwarebytes at malwarebytes.com and run it. It should do a good job removing the current infection and it's free.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM

I should also suggest downloading:

the free version of AVG to run as his anti-virus software going forward

and CCleaner (also free) to clean up his HD and registry

Each has worked trouble-free on my desktop and laptop for several years
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

I also recommend Malwarebytes and AVG.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Sage

I thought I had a virus on my old desktop - took it to repair guy who checked out and said it was just dusty. He cleaned it and it works fine.

Get an compressed air cleaner from Office Depot (etc), take it outside and blow all the dust out of it.

If that doesn't work, go to the Microsoft website and download their FREE Security Essentials application - it works better than most.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkomoros View Post
My neighbor has a PC that is 6 or so years old and has a virus. Apparently, he also never had an anti-virus program installed. He only uses his computer for some Internet searches and to play solitaire, so he's not sure he needs to buy a new computer and start over - this time with protection! In the meantime, can we download an anti-virus program like Kaspersky, even with an active virus already on the old computer? He's not computer literate, so whether or not he keeps his old computer or buys a new one, he will need computer help. Can anyone suggest someone who could help him set up his computer and load it with what he needs?
I just finished up working on my sister-in-laws computer and it had similar symptoms. I loaded Avast or some other free Virus program and found several nasty little viruses, spy-ware, malware, etc. That might just do the trick for your friend.

In my case, I cleaned all of that up and was still getting weird things happening. Figured that there had to be some corrupted files. Did a repair operation on Windows XP to no avail. One thing for sure will cure the problem if it isn't bad hardware. I formatted the hard-drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. It now works like a top. I've re-installed all of the device drivers, etc. and added an antivirus program. It's good for another 7 years.

The above is pretty time consuming. Maybe someone from the Computer Club can help out if he wants to go that route. If he just needs someone to help him setup a new computer, PM me and I'll help him out.

Xavier
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I formatted the hard-drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. It now works like a top. I've re-installed all of the device drivers, etc. and added an antivirus program. It's good for another 7 years.
That's great advice, Xavier

Few people actually need to replace their computers when things seem to be wrong, but are persuaded that it is the only solution.

A good "clean up" or reinstall will usually do the trick, and enable you to stick with XP.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks to all for your advice. How do I contact the Computer Club?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkomoros View Post
Thanks to all for your advice. How do I contact the Computer Club?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Default Free tune up and consultations

Right now Staples has a deal gong on they will give your PC and free tune up and consultation, can't beat that deal. You have to call for an appointment.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Talking of Staples:

I was there last month and a gentleman at the counter was collecting his laptop, which he had brought in to be de-virused.

They handed it over, and he was insistent that he had also brought in the mains adaptor.

They swore that he hadn't, and so it went on, to and fro, for about five minutes.

Eventually he picked up his laptop and headed out of the door.

Half a minute later he was back, saying he'd just found the adaptor on the back seat of his car :-)
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Gold member

I'm glad you put the computer problems out there, I am suffering the same issues. Thanks for the suggestions......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.