Vista

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Vista

Has anyone had any real problems with Vista? My elderly friend has an Emachine bought this year with Vista premium. Three times in the last two weeks, the system fell off a cliff and a resulting "blue death" screen popped up but didn't stay long enough to read. I restarted the system through "System Restore" and was successful and a couple of days later, Blue Death again. I'm beginning to think his hard drive is dying. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Vista

I've had Vista in a new laptop for over a month and no problems. Yes, have to learn some new tricks but overall I like it.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

One of the problems I encountered when I wanted to purchase a new laptop was it was pre-loaded with Vista, YUCK. I asked to have XP Pro loaded onto it instead but the tech told me they couldn't do that as they didn't have the drivers. I was :edit: :realmad: Needless to say I didn't buy a new laptop as I'm pretty happy with my current one; I just wanted the "newest" toy.

So many PC's and Laptops already come with Vista but if you shop carefully you can find machines with XP.

Another alternative is buying a custom built machine which is not as expensive as you might think. All my Desktop PC's are custom built and my Laptops are store bought.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If it's any help, you can still buy new laptops directly from Dell with the option of going Vista or XP.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM

I use a Mac. It runs Mac OSX and Windows (start up in either or buy Parallels to switch back and forth). I had a choice of Vista or XP when I bought my latest Mac for the office and chose XP. BTW, running both certainly makes me appreciate Mac even more.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:30 AM

I have Vista on my new laptop and desktop and so far no problems. But my son has worked on MAC for ages as he is a designer and keeps telling me to switch. I might just do that when time comes to buy new again. He never seems to have any trouble with his sytem. Of course it could be because he knows what he's doikng and I am not sure what I'm doing most of the time.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 AM

Yes Red, that would be an easy solution but I am a gadget freak and like Averatec because they make a very small, reasonably priced, light weight laptop which has about a 10.5 diagonal screen. I could buy a Sony but they are about twice the cost and frankly not worth the expense.

Soooooo.... I will continue with this laptop until either it dies or Vista is perfected. Which may be when H _ _ _ freezes over lol

Perhaps a Mac will do but even they don't make a small enough laptop.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 AM

Yes they did!!! It is gorgeous but still quite expensive. Pricing starts at $1799.

www.apple.com/macbookair/guidedtour

Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Eternal Member

THIS IS PROBABLY A DAH QUESTION:

I just bought a new PC with Vista and having major problems transferring files from previous XP PC.
Do you have to have Vista OR XP or can I now download XP on my new PC that already has Vista.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Platinum member

I bought my 5th and last "from Dell online" PC. Total nightmare! but thats another STORY! The order took approx. 8 weeks to receive. I do like the Vista although I have had 1 major problem. Maybe your friends problem is like mine. My fault. I fixed it by restoring to an earlier date of my download of a Registry cleaner advertisement. My laptop was slow when the blackout in Fl. happened and I thought it was need of a Dell help. 2 hours on phone with Dell because of slowness and everything they had me do I had done. 2 days later the virus appeared. DO NOT DOWNLOAD REGISTRY CLEANERS! Next I had monaronadona malware. A virus!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonaRonaDona#How_to_get_this_virus It took 2 more days and approx. 15 hours for me to fix. Maybe I can help your friend! Going out now, but email me, maybe I can help.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Veteran member

Back to my original post on this thread. My friends Emachine finally died so I talked to customer service which surprisingly was in Salt Lake City rather than Bangladesh. They told me they'd send packaging out for us to send the system in to their facility in Nashville. They did something that I couldn't figure out from the documentation enclosed with the system when it was sent back and lo and behold, a week later it died again. Back to Nashville for a second try, this time they replaced the memory. A week after return, it died again. This time I demanded a replacement since it was only 7 months old. They would not replace it until it was in the shop 3 times so back to Nashville again. This time I was told they would replace the motherboard and the memory again if needed. By now, you know the story. A few days after return, it died again. They once again wanted it sent back and I said no way in hell, replace the junker. They finally agreed but said it would take about 5 weeks for the switch of the old one for the new (actually rebuilt) one. With a $500 hold on a credit card, they agreed to send the rebuilt one asap. It's been up and running for about two weeks now. Emachines was acquired by Gateway who was acquired by ACER systems in Taiwan. Needless to say, I wouldn't touch any of the three with a ten foot pole.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Platinum member

what a mess!!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Service Pack 1 for Vista is to be released within the next two months. Microsoft rep says this will be a very large download that is to address many problems and make your machine run faster. Good news is that a new Microsoft operating system is to be released within the next two years! ugh!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw1819
THIS IS PROBABLY A DAH QUESTION:

I just bought a new PC with Vista and having major problems transferring files from previous XP PC.
Do you have to have Vista OR XP or can I now download XP on my new PC that already has Vista.
Personally I do not think it matters. My friend had a windows 98 computer, and had no problem transferring over the files to his new laptop with vista. He bought an external hardrive, loaded up all the stuff from the old computer, and then just transfered it to the new laptop overnight.

I hope this helps...
Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 AM

I bought a new Gateway desktop 12/3/08 from Costco. Took it home, installed it and three hours later it crashed. I spent the better part of four days on the telephone with Gateway service.......finally they said to take it to Best-Buy for a diagnostic. I took it back to Costco for a full refund and purchased a HP...........with Vista and have not had a problem since.............except of course the keyboard keeps making typos ;D
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.