To VPN users: VPN is not as secure as we might think!

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default To VPN users: VPN is not as secure as we might think!

I just logged into Jennings Citrus to register a new account, so I clicked on register a new account, and someone else's account came up as currently logged in as "someone else" with full account information.

That means that the stored IP address at jennings with the account information is not unique enough to be secure, as my laptop was assigned the same IP address as the one which "someone else" had registered with. So the VPN does not have enough addresses to guarantee a secure one with the vendor's with whom you have saved your information. . . or that you are still logged in after thinking you are completed.

So please, do not save any financial information on web sites, even is using VPN, and log out and close your browser after every transaction. . .

never allow your browser to save your password. . . . always type it in each time, except for some non transactional web sites, without payment identification.

That's how your credit card can be stolen. . . even though you have never left the house.

sportsguy
who did email the "someone else" to let him know the risk to his account.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I am somewhat confused. A VPN is a method to encrypt the data end to end so that it cannot be intercepted. What you are describing sounds more like a problem with the site you went to. I have gone to sites (including this one) that refused to accept my user name and password, a quick shutdown of the browser and return to the site and all is well. Also, I do not think sites store the IP address for ID purposes, as I have signed into many sites from different locations which would mean different IP addresses.
I will leave it to some network and security experts to expand on this.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am somewhat confused. A VPN is a method to encrypt the data end to end so that it cannot be intercepted. What you are describing sounds more like a problem with the site you went to. I have gone to sites (including this one) that refused to accept my user name and password, a quick shutdown of the browser and return to the site and all is well. Also, I do not think sites store the IP address for ID purposes, as I have signed into many sites from different locations which would mean different IP addresses.
I will leave it to some network and security experts to expand on this.
VPN is all about encryption and "tunnels" for transport of packets by hiding your physical location. There are cases of hacking VPN though. Some VPN will not protect you from server side cookies.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I just logged into Jennings Citrus to register a new account, so I clicked on register a new account, and someone else's account came up as currently logged in as "someone else" with full account information.

That means that the stored IP address at jennings with the account information is not unique enough to be secure, as my laptop was assigned the same IP address as the one which "someone else" had registered with. So the VPN does not have enough addresses to guarantee a secure one with the vendor's with whom you have saved your information. . . or that you are still logged in after thinking you are completed.

So please, do not save any financial information on web sites, even is using VPN, and log out and close your browser after every transaction. . .

never allow your browser to save your password. . . . always type it in each time, except for some non transactional web sites, without payment identification.

That's how your credit card can be stolen. . . even though you have never left the house.

sportsguy
who did email the "someone else" to let him know the risk to his account.
Which VPN provider do you use?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:14 AM

Which VPN are you using?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Finally got through to the web site programmer. Its not a VPN issue, but an issue with the web site. I assumed it was a VPN issue because of the server side information coming back to me differently with different IP addresses based on my change in VPN location.

But i was wrong. The programmer took awhile to duplicate my issue, and after he did, he fixed the web site. The web site is Jennings Citrus, and I made my order verbally, so I could get a message to the web master. . .

All is good now. I am using Avast VPN.. . and FYI, you get different prices at online retail stores based on regional VPN locations. . . so there is always more happening which one probably is unaware that one might think. . . whether you think that there should be or not.

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
account, vpn, information, secure, logged

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.