Who would fall for this?

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2021, 05:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Scam

Just about every day in villages you read about a contractor absconding with a deposit.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:50 AM

Unfortunately, there are a number of people that fall for these schemes. Not too many weeks ago a lady from The Villages was fleeced $20,000 by someone calling and saying her grandson was in jail and needed this for bail. She withdrew from the bank, and when asked by the teller why she needed such a large amount of cash, she (under the instructions of the con) said she was buying a new car. Instead of calling mom and dad, or the grandson to verify the story, she turned the money over to some guy that came to the house.

Our friend was screwed out of $1200 worth of gift cards over a false Amazon purchase. I can't relate the story in detail, but it was one of those scams where she should have known better, but didn't. Another one that's going around is a recorded call from "Social Security" advising how the person's social security number was being used in a criminal way, and their number was being suspended unless they responded to this phone call and talked with an "investigator" from their office. Social Security doesn't make phone calls, folks, so just hang up. There's a multitude of crooks just waiting to take your money, only these people aren't holding a gun to your head.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:30 AM
Default Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
Unfortunately, there are a number of people that fall for these schemes. Not too many weeks ago a lady from The Villages was fleeced $20,000 by someone calling and saying her grandson was in jail and needed this for bail. She withdrew from the bank, and when asked by the teller why she needed such a large amount of cash, she (under the instructions of the con) said she was buying a new car. Instead of calling mom and dad, or the grandson to verify the story, she turned the money over to some guy that came to the house.

Our friend was screwed out of $1200 worth of gift cards over a false Amazon purchase. I can't relate the story in detail, but it was one of those scams where she should have known better, but didn't. Another one that's going around is a recorded call from "Social Security" advising how the person's social security number was being used in a criminal way, and their number was being suspended unless they responded to this phone call and talked with an "investigator" from their office. Social Security doesn't make phone calls, folks, so just hang up. There's a multitude of crooks just waiting to take your money, only these people aren't holding a gun to your head.
I tell them they'll have to talk to my lawyer. If they don't hang up I give them the number of the Fraud Hotline 866-966-7226.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Forget it !!! I just found out that I'm her long lost brother that she never knew.

She's out of luck now, and it's ALL MINE !!! YEEEEHAW !!!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:39 AM
Unhappy scam

The unfortunate thing is that people do fall for these scams otherwise you would not hear of them. My motto has been "If it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is". Look up "Jack Vale" on U-tube. He has a few videos where he scams the scammers. It is hilarious
Old 04-25-2021, 06:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Seems totally legit to me, but I would negotiate for 25%.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:46 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Scam! Scam!

[QUOTE=CoachKandSportsguy;1934589]Greetings dear.

Call the FBI immediately
Old 04-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Greetings dear.

I hope this message meet you in good faith

I humbly write to solicit for your partnership to assist me transfer and investment of my inheritance funds (€ 8,700, 000, 00 Euro) from my late father. I am Ms. Lansana Jeneba, and am the only child of my late parents. Please I decided to contact you for this offer based on trust and your understanding hoping that you will find it interesting to assist me with your good mind.

It was very eventful that my father died mysteriously and according to the culture and tradition here when a man dies, if he does not have a male child, the brother takes his property leaving the wife and the daughters empty handed. This is the exact case with me as I am the only daughter, I lost my mother when I was barely a year old and my father refused to re-marry despite all persuasion by friends and relatives, because he felt solely responsible for my mother's death, as he only concentrated on his business that he rarely pays attention to family affairs, He ensured that I will had everything that I wanted. It was as a result that he made me the next of kin to his fund deposit with the bank and stated that in the event of any eventuality, I should have a direct access to the funds only when I am 25 years, otherwise I should have a guardian to intercede on my behalf for the release of the funds for investments purpose.

Unfortunately he passed away and I am not up to the age as bank stated in the agreement with my late father, of which the reason the bank have refuse me direct access from this funds despite my present predicaments, This is the reason I am contacting you to stand and intercede on my behalf as guardian, so that bank can release and transfer this fund to your bank account for investments in your country.

I don't want people to take advantage of me that is why I decided to written you for the first place to seek for you're trustworthy and your concern to stand on my behalf to intercede and retrieve the fund to your bank account,

Please kindly indicate your interest to proceed with me if you can be of assistance for this offer. I am willing to offer you 20% from the total fund for your kind assistance once the fund is retrieved and secured to your account.

Please endeavor to let me know your decision to proceed.

Regards
Jeneba
The oldest and most well known scam in the world. Has been around for decades and anyone who becomes a victim to it deserves to lose every dollar they own. Unless you have lived in a cave or a gopher hole, you should have received this email many many times. Why even waste the time reading it?
Old 04-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Greetings dear.

I humbly write to solicit for your partnership to assist me transfer and investment of my inheritance funds (€ 8,700, 000, 00 Euro) from my late father. I am Ms. Lansana Jeneba, and am the only child of my late parents. Please I decided to contact you for this offer based on trust and your understanding hoping that you will find it interesting to assist me with your good mind.

It was very eventful that my father died mysteriously and according to the culture and tradition here when a man dies, if he does not have a male child, the brother takes his property leaving the wife and the daughters empty handed. This is the exact case with me as I am the only daughter, I lost my mother when I was barely a year old and my father refused to re-marry despite all persuasion by friends and relatives, because he felt solely responsible for my mother's death, as he only concentrated on his business that he rarely pays attention to family affairs, He ensured that I will had everything that I wanted. It was as a result that he made me the next of kin to his fund deposit with the bank and stated that in the event of any eventuality, I should have a direct access to the funds only when I am 25 years, otherwise I should have a guardian to intercede on my behalf for the release of the funds for investments purpose.

Unfortunately he passed away and I am not up to the age as bank stated in the agreement with my late father, of which the reason the bank have refuse me direct access from this funds despite my present predicaments, This is the reason I am contacting you to stand and intercede on my behalf as guardian, so that bank can release and transfer this fund to your bank account for investments in your country.

I don't want people to take advantage of me that is why I decided to written you for the first place to seek for you're trustworthy and your concern to stand on my behalf to intercede and retrieve the fund to your bank account,

Please kindly indicate your interest to proceed with me if you can be of assistance for this offer. I am willing to offer you 20% from the total fund for your kind assistance once the fund is retrieved and secured to your account.

Regards
Jeneba
To quote Albert Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is that there is a limit on genius!
Old 04-25-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

My parents, at this time in their life, would fall for this. Heck in their mental state they would fall for anything. That is why they have no money, credit cards, etc. So sad but they are the targets of these evil people.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Greetings dear.

Regards
Jeneba
This is actually a very old con. It cost them nothing to try. The chance of getting caught is about as close to zero as you can get.

As far as cons, Maddoff recently passed away. So did my wife's uncle who got taken by him. How could anyone fall for that one? What is too good to be true usually is not.
Perhaps, Maddoff was so successful because you had to know someone to get in.
A combination of a pyramid scheme where you sell your friends and relatives and people's need desire to be in the in crowd. As we know it worked very well.

I would never fall for that! I HAVE. It said US Government. It said FREE. They ask for your credit card before it starts. I assumed for postage. I was billed about $100. You call the company. They do not supply a phone number till the end. It is a boiler room
you get stuff like xxxxxx is not here now she will call you back. When they call you back they offer to credit you $20. What they charged for had no value at all. I assume many people accept that I did not. I filed a stop payment with my credit card company. A bit of a struggle but I got all my money back. I'm sure many people would say it is only $80
not worth the trouble. That is how and why these crooks can continue.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post

Sadly, we must all learn to trust no one. We got one from the police, collecting for something. It was good sounded like an office etc. I told the claimed officer, that if he is police he would advise me not to give money to any telephone solicitors. I am not an attorney but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for the police to do this.

Your social security number and security? Think about how many people have access to your social security number. Your doctor and his or her staff, dentist, brokerage, bank, we regularly send it through the mail. In college it was your student ID number.
Do we think only honest people have access to it?
Old 04-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

These days we get all kinds of calls from people we do not know but tell us they are talking on a recorded line for our protection.

Right.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
These days we get all kinds of calls from people we do not know but tell us they are talking on a recorded line for our protection.

Right.
Yet, another reality spin. If, they are recording the call it is for their protection not yours.
You can bet if there is a dispute and the recorded message shows you are right they will tell you they cannot find the tape.

I think they need to advise you they are recording the call to be able to use it. I keep meaning to get a recording system. Perhaps, a proper response would be if this is being recorded great, do you then give me permission to also record the call?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Greetings dear.

Regards
Jeneba
To paraphrase Jerry Maguire, “You Had Me at Greetings Dear”.
Closed Thread

Tags
bank, fund, father, funds, behalf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.