Wifi signal strength

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Wifi signal strength

How might I check it? Here's the whole story. Laptop that spouse uses is located on other side of the house. It now says no networks are available and will not search for available networks. Two days ago, all was well. It works off of the Xfinity router in my office; that device is about 2 years old. Well, I haven't installed any lead walls, so why is the WiFi signal no longer getting through? Do these thing get weak with age?

Iran both a MalwearBytes scan and a Cleaner program on the laptop the other day. What, if anything, might I have deleted that could affect signal reception?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Have you tried connecting moving the laptop to your office? Could be the laptop.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage

Windows PC or Apple Mac or Chromebook?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage

Maybe your Comcast router doesn't have a strong enough signal. Our Xfinity modem also has a built-in router, Arris TG862, about three years old. Since we don't have cable TV, we use Roku to stream programs to the TV from the computer in the room with the modem. Neither the Xfinity nor the Linksys router we used could transmit a strong enough signal to the television. We were constantly losing programs. So we installed a newer, more powerful router which then caused something called NAT and screwed up the network. After delving deep into Comcast's website support I learned how to turn off the router function in the Arris. It is now operates just as a modem and the new router carries a reliable signal to other parts of the house. Roku is happy and we are happy.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can get an extender to help boost the signal.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

In reply to all so far. Thanks.
Yes, the laptop reads Wifi fine when I bring it into the office. As reported, that is the issue. The signal no longer reaches the utility room work station. It used to.

I tried a Belkin extender. It says "limited." The extender gets Wifi from the router, right? When plugged in a mere 15 feet from the router it says "limited" signal. That's got to tell us something about the router. The laptop and my desk top (to which the router is connected) are both running Windows.

I guess talking/chatting with the Comcast techs is necessary. Ugh!
Old 06-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I am guessing there is a problem with you laptop. If you are using Windows, go to device manager and check the driver for the network adapter and see if it is up to date, if not install the update, reboot and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

CrapCleaner and Malware would have no effect on your local machine hardware settings.

Make sure you are connecting to your Comcast router private network and not the limited public XfinityWIFI. Devices sometimes find that one first when power resumes or a reboot.

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-15-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Raise the router/modem up, if it's on the floor. If that doesn't help, can you move it to another location? Sometimes just turning it 90 degrees will work. You should have both 5mhz and 2.4mhz, have you tried connecting to each? Have you moved some furniture around? Maybe you put something in the way of the single.

I doubt it's the router/modem or your PC, nothing changed.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Gold member

Have you rebooted the router? I know it's a simple question, but that has worked for me a few times. unplug it let it sti for a could of minutes before plugging it back in, wait for the equipment to connect and test it. We have a larger stretched Gardenia and I installed a wifi extender half way between the modem & router in the back corner of the living room and the front bedroom/office. I still don't get the "advertised" speed, but I don't think anybody else does either.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 PM

There may be a key (probably in the top row on your laptop) which can turn your wireless on and off. Perhaps it was inadvertently pressed. To ID, look for a key with a picture of a tower with signals. On my laptop, there's a small red light in the corner of the key when wi-fi is on.

Addendum: Whoops, sorry. Just read that the laptop wireless does work in the office.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

So let's recap where were are:

1. Assuming NOTHING changed in the environment.
2. Laptop works over WiFi but only at close distances but it was fine across the house before.
3. Reboot Modem/Router
4. Restart Laptop
5. Not mentioned yet: Reload WiFi driver or check the vendor website for a newer wireless driver.

If it still doesn't work properly, then I would suspect a hardware problem.

1. Assuming you have a SmartPhone, will that connect to the Router/Modem at a distance? If not, I suspect a problem with the modem/router. If it connects and runs at speed, then the Laptop is most likely the issue.

Let us know...
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

With the exception of Premier homes, the small footprint of villas and designers should be no problem for a modern router .. There are many to choose from at or around $ 100 .. two bands 2.4 and 5ghz .. Everyone has their favorite .. I ditched linksys and netgear after technology took us beyond a/b/g and moved to N .. I now have a TPLINK both in the Villages and the same one in a much larger multistory home in Atlanta. seldom needs a reboot .. Advice to unplug your current router and leave alone for a minute or two might solve an immediate problem, but if you needs to constantly do that its time to upgrade.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
In reply to all so far. Thanks.
Yes, the laptop reads Wifi fine when I bring it into the office. As reported, that is the issue. The signal no longer reaches the utility room work station. It used to.

I tried a Belkin extender. It says "limited." The extender gets Wifi from the router, right? When plugged in a mere 15 feet from the router it says "limited" signal. That's got to tell us something about the router. The laptop and my desk top (to which the router is connected) are both running Windows.

I guess talking/chatting with the Comcast techs is necessary. Ugh!
I have called Comcast and didn’t find the call painful.
If you had called most likely the problem would be solved by now.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 PM

******** Download This ********
Check your internet speed!
Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Closed Thread

Tags
signal, networks, wifi, laptop, affect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.