Wifi signal strength

Wifi signal strength

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 PM

There may be a key (probably in the top row on your laptop) which can turn your wireless on and off. Perhaps it was inadvertently pressed. To ID, look for a key with a picture of a tower with signals. On my laptop, there's a small red light in the corner of the key when wi-fi is on.

Addendum: Whoops, sorry. Just read that the laptop wireless does work in the office.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 PM

So let's recap where were are:

1. Assuming NOTHING changed in the environment.
2. Laptop works over WiFi but only at close distances but it was fine across the house before.
3. Reboot Modem/Router
4. Restart Laptop
5. Not mentioned yet: Reload WiFi driver or check the vendor website for a newer wireless driver.

If it still doesn't work properly, then I would suspect a hardware problem.

1. Assuming you have a SmartPhone, will that connect to the Router/Modem at a distance? If not, I suspect a problem with the modem/router. If it connects and runs at speed, then the Laptop is most likely the issue.

Let us know...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Location: Currently Atlanta GA - Formerly Endicott and Syracuse NY

With the exception of Premier homes, the small footprint of villas and designers should be no problem for a modern router .. There are many to choose from at or around $ 100 .. two bands 2.4 and 5ghz .. Everyone has their favorite .. I ditched linksys and netgear after technology took us beyond a/b/g and moved to N .. I now have a TPLINK both in the Villages and the same one in a much larger multistory home in Atlanta. seldom needs a reboot .. Advice to unplug your current router and leave alone for a minute or two might solve an immediate problem, but if you needs to constantly do that its time to upgrade.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
In reply to all so far. Thanks.
Yes, the laptop reads Wifi fine when I bring it into the office. As reported, that is the issue. The signal no longer reaches the utility room work station. It used to.

I tried a Belkin extender. It says "limited." The extender gets Wifi from the router, right? When plugged in a mere 15 feet from the router it says "limited" signal. That's got to tell us something about the router. The laptop and my desk top (to which the router is connected) are both running Windows.

I guess talking/chatting with the Comcast techs is necessary. Ugh!
I have called Comcast and didn’t find the call painful.
If you had called most likely the problem would be solved by now.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 PM

******** Download This ********
Check your internet speed!
Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Old 06-15-2018, 06:44 PM

one way to test signal strength is to install a free wifi signal analyzer on a smartphone. I installed one a few years back to check signal strength at the plant. you can test in all areas of your home and walk towards the router to see where you have a problem.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Platinum member

Surprised no one suggested a mesh network that connects directly to the modem. We use a Linksys Velop tri-band mesh network in NY with 20 devices connected simultaneously with great results. It was an expensive solution but eliminated dropped connections and contention for router access. WiFi connection speeds are the same throughout the home.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 PM

Try using a wifi signal analyzer on a mobile device as suggested by Dgodin.
I downloaded the Google Play "NETGEAR WiFi Analytics" app to my tablet and used it to identify the networks around me.
This wifi analyzer has a page that shows the number of networks in your vicinity and the channels their modems are using. Your modem and channel should be easily identified - it should be the strongest one and at the top of the list. See if any of the other networks are using the same channel as your modem/router. If they are, change your channel to one that is not being used by a neighbor.
You will need to get into your modem/router setup to change its channel.
I had a similar problem that took me a long time to solve. I was trying to get a wifi signal out on my lanai so I could stream music outside. As soon as I went on the lanai, the streaming stopped. I thought the concrete wall was blocking the signal from inside the house. I tried using a wifi extender but only got poor results on the lanai. That is when I tried the Netgear analyzer and found that 2 of my neighbors were using the same channel that my modem was set to (1, its default). Outside of our house, their wifi signals became strong enough that my wifi was getting overpowered. There was no problem inside. After changing my channel to one which none of my neighbors was using, I had no problem getting a signal outside of my house.
I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Sage

We just changed a whole lot of hardware from Playschool stuff to almost all Apple. We didn't have enough jiggawatts of power to keep everything running happily together. We went to Comcast, fingers crossed and added a Linksys extender from Amazon for about $70. All ins well at this juncture. We notice the difference in speed, time will tell and so will I. I just don't like that it is a yearly contract but the price is so low it wouldn't hurt too badly if they foul up!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
There may be a key (probably in the top row on your laptop) which can turn your wireless on and off. Perhaps it was inadvertently pressed. To ID, look for a key with a picture of a tower with signals. On my laptop, there's a small red light in the corner of the key when wi-fi is on.
Found this out the hard way about 15 years ago on a long road trip.

Could not get a wi-fi signal from the hotel, was panicking... and called a computer store.

The person mentioned the wi-fi button...and asked it if was lit.

Pushed the button and then my wife and I looked at each other...and just laughed like the dummies we were.

Tags
signal, networks, wifi, laptop, affect