WIFI the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson
Default Re: WIFI the Villages

It was no more difficult to install non-secured than to install secured. It's only a click of a few buttons and I can opt to change my unsecured to secured at any time. Oh, btw...I AM computer literate.

I did unsecured by CHOICE.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Handie

It's not a question of whether you share it legally.

It's a question of those who choose to share it with you illegally.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Veteran member

Call it what you want I'll get Belkin to bail me out of prison ;D
Handie :joke:
Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Sigh OK OK here I go ;D
I recently bought a Belkin Router wireless G. The estimated range is 400' clear view. I quote from the box " Belkin routers also include a guest Access feature that allows "trusted vistors" to share your broadband connection while keeping the rest of your network private. This lets you give your guests Web access without compromising the security of your files or other resources"
Now I don't profess to be an authority on this subject but I do think that the Belkin Company is. I therefore stand by my pledge to share my internet via my wireless router LEGALLY
Handie :joke:
"Trusted visitors" is different than giving the guy across the street access without you knowing it. My network is secure but I can give people a key which will allow them to use my network. I do that when I have friends visiting that want to get on the internet.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

In reality, how many people get arrested by the law for picking up on an unsecured signal?
Answer- none for practical purposes.

I read an online article recently about the first guy in Illinois (or somewhere) who was the very first person to be charged on tapping into a signal without permission. There's just no enforcement, kinda like our borders, so what does it matter?

It's a personal choice then. If you leave a signal unsecured, you're providing an opportunity for folks to grab it. You own it, you have the power, use it at your discretion.

I still think TV should offer free wifi or some entreprenuer set up an inexpensive system supported by ads or something.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 PM

8) JohnN I totally agree with you if TV will not do ti for free then there might be another way to do it for free or at a very low cost. I'm in south Florida and i have wifi with comcast total bill for cable and wifi $ 185.00 a month of which $ 45.00 is for wifi. When I get to TV one way or another I'll have wifi. :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Banned

I am not all that familiar with the laws but I do not think any are enforced and maybe not even enforsable regarding using unsecured web sites.

I have used neighbor hood sites regularly. No problem and it doesn't seem to be a problem to the people who have the wifi site. I do understand that if too many get on the site with big down loads it will get plugged up.

We are RVers soon to be Villagers and in the RV community I have run across many that will knowingly share their wifi signal. No big deal. I sort of think of the securing issue like this is my lot and I am putting up this fence. I hate fences.

Regarding wifi providers. We are Thousand Trails members. All their Preserves have free Wifi. I know it's not totally free but it can't cost very much or they wouldn't do it. They use a company called Tengo net. Wonder if Tengo net could set up a network in TV.
In the campgrounds sometimes its only at the lodge but in many it covers the entire preserve.

Does anybody know about Tengo net? When I get settled in I am going to check it out to see if it could be used on a neighbor hood basis. Seems Like TV could make the arrangement.

Some high end parks use Tengo and charge way too much often $3/24hrs for day by day or $30 for a month.

Just some food for thought.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Eternal Member
Default State laws regarding access to networks

Many states have criminal laws that prohibit accessing any computer or network without the owner’s permission. For example, in Texas, the statute is Penal Code section 33.02, Breach of Computer Security. It says, "A person commits an offense if the person knowingly accesses a computer, computer network or computer system without the effective consent of the owner." The penalty grade ranges from misdemeanor to first degree felony (which is the same grade as murder), depending on whether the person obtains benefit, harms or defrauds someone, or alters, damages, or deletes files.

The wording of most such laws encompasses connecting to a wireless network without explicit permission, even if the wi-fi network is unsecured. The inclusion of the culpable mental state of "knowing" as an element of the offense means that if your computer automatically connects to your neighbor’s wireless network instead of your own and you aren’t aware of it, you haven’t committed a crime -- but if you decide to hop onto the nearest unencrypted wi-fi network to surf the Internet, knowing full well that it doesn’t belong to you and no one has given you permission, you could be prosecuted under these laws.

A Michigan man was arrested (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...m-his-car.html) for using a café’s wi-fi network (which was reserved for customers) from his car in 2007. Similar arrests have been made in Florida, Illinois, Washington, and Alaska.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.