Win10 Never doesn't Mean Never?

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,920 Times in 2,446 Posts

I find that every time windows upgrades it down grades my ability to do simple commands as before. Good example is when I paste something to browser to save it I can't right click on it and open it up in another window it has to be in favorites before the right click icon comes up to open in new window. Or I have to hunt for hidden icon to do something simple that wasn't hidden on the previous widow version. As far as security I think each version is better than the one before. Now if I could just GET RID of the AOL loading popup every time I log on!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
AOL loading popup every time I log on!

??? Where? Are you logging into the local machine or a Microsoft account? You can of course remove AOL from the control panel. In 10 you can also often right click the icon and hit uninstall right from there.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
I get your point. The reality however is that someone on any system that got 10 asked for it, at some point. May have been months ago when a copy was "reserved". May have been one of the dozens of "yes" answers for updates. With 8.1 it was with the EULA. If no one said "yes", you simply did not get 10.

For those with "Professional" versions of the OS there was an opt out even after the fact. Not the case with "Home" versions. Then there are those who use "domain" and Group policy to prevent an unplanned update. But, now that it has been out for a long time - we have migrated hundreds of domain based systems to 10 and had NOT ONE issue with applications that ran on 7 not running on 10 (but for Solitare that the EU simply needs to get from the App Store).

The "real" issue (IMO) is that most computer users never read a EULA, dont real the options and even more so with W10 dont turn off the telemetry (it is SUPER easy to disable at install). Yet, the same folks will let Google/Android and or Apple track their every move, stop, call, message and location wtih their cell phones.
record: for the record computer-ese is not my strong suit. I don't know what EULA stands for but my educated guess is that it is an agreement of sorts.

My education and experience had been in insurance and I read many contracts quite well. However computers are somewhat a mystery; albeit I can turn it on and off without instructions
Old 06-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Record: In one of your posts you mention fear of change. I am not sure it is fear of change, it's more that my computer knows me really well. It knows where I shop, it knows what I wear, it knows what I read, it even knows what foods I eat. I can be working on something and my computer suddenly lets me know that my store has a sale on my favorite stuff. So if I give up my old friend I will have to teach the new software who I am and what I am and I do not want to be bothered doing that and, more to the point, I should not have to do that unless I chose to do so.

If I was still using a computer for business reasons it would be different, but my computer is basically for my personal enjoyment. I know where everything is on my computer, I know the email page, I know my browser. I do not want to open my computer every morning and find it is an alien being.

In retirement my life has changed and I no longer need to learn about the latest gadget or gizmo, I leave all that to my high tech children. I admire people like you who keep up to date on all the new technological marvels being thrown at us, but that is no longer part of my life.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Record: In one of your posts you mention fear of change. I am not sure it is fear of change, it's more that my computer knows me really well. It knows where I shop, it knows what I wear, it knows what I read, it even knows what foods I eat. I can be working on something and my computer suddenly lets me know that my store has a sale on my favorite stuff. So if I give up my old friend I will have to teach the new software who I am and what I am and I do not want to be bothered doing that and, more to the point, I should not have to do that unless I chose to do so.

If I was still using a computer for business reasons it would be different, but my computer is basically for my personal enjoyment. I know where everything is on my computer, I know the email page, I know my browser. I do not want to open my computer every morning and find it is an alien being.

In retirement my life has changed and I no longer need to learn about the latest gadget or gizmo, I leave all that to my high tech children. I admire people like you who keep up to date on all the new technological marvels being thrown at us, but that is no longer part of my life.
Of course, you know that it "knows" your habits thanks to tracking cookies right? That said, not as a proponent of W10 over 7...all of your cookies, home pages, search tools, and browser helper objects would stay in place. You can also move them from IE to Firefox to Chrome (and back in any order).

Edge with Windows 10 is a nightmare and a PITA for most websites (even more so SSL sites that you may pay bills with).

I for one do not allow cookies on my system. I do net let telemetrics out. I use ABP on Firefox (ad blocker) when I am not on Tor. I also block far more on my Firewall than you would imagine.

I was talking to a TV guy just the other day (a neighbor) and showed him in real time what ALL of his passwords are (that he had saved to IE and Firefox)...in clear text. That is what people are after (and it aint hard to get).

As an example, this map is showing only BLOCKED data and what country it is coming from - only for this site Talk of The Villages. Granted, I have tools that most do not have. But, if you really knew what all "they" know...um, yeah...

The Villages Florida
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

End User License Agreement
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
End User License Agreement
Record: A favorite expression of attorneys is "contracts are made to be broken". I spent many a day in mediation/court watching attorneys exercise their boast
Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 PM

For anyone not wanting to let Microsoft force an upgrade to Windows 10, you can set your Windows update to manual instead of automatic. The downside of this is that when you do so, you will stand a good chance of getting bit by the Microsoft Windows Update bug where you won't even get security updates, when you tell it to check for updates. Microsoft has become very aggressive in forcing people over to Windows 10. They have become so aggressive that they have even made Windows 7 buggy by trying to force people over to 10.

There will not be any Windows 11. Starting with Windows 10, it will just be a rolling update. You will be continually upgraded whether you want to or not.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Wayne Sallee . Com
Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sallee View Post
They have become so aggressive that they have even made Windows 7 buggy by trying to force people over to 10.
That is a very serious allegation. What is your source for this?
--
Bob C
Old 07-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Microsoft continues their assault on me and my desktop and laptop. but for Microsoft ability to send me broke I would sue them for harassment . I don't need no stinkin windows 10

windows never at least allows me to take control of my computers and sut them down and restart so i can rid the windows 10 pop up for day or two. Please July 29 hurry
Old 07-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I did not read every post. Windows 10 was forced into our computer. We had several issues which we worked thru. Yesterday in a time of critical need....Lawyer & Realtor & Title Agency crawling on us I cranked up this Windows piece of garbage to find it doing a Windows 10 update. You know what enough is enough. How disrespectful on Microsoft's part. I'm stuck for the moment but sometimes you have to lose a battle but as long as you win the war all is fine. I'm finished with them forever.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage

I swear that as I departed the post above the computer started playing music and would not stop. I restarted the computer which triggered another Windows 10 update complete with a Icon on the start up screen. Lost another battle but I will prevail.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I swear that as I departed the post above the computer started playing music and would not stop. I restarted the computer which triggered another Windows 10 update complete with a Icon on the start up screen. Lost another battle but I will prevail.
a poster asked me what I was afraid of with windows 10. you offer a perfect example. My computer is almost 4 years old I like win 7. My data is laid out where and how I want it. I don't need or want 10. In the very near future I will buy another laptop
Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 AM
Veteran member

I had been putting it off because my desktop is pretty old and I wasn't sure if it would be compatible but figured it would happen sometime. Yesterday morning I saw that it had installed over night. After a short period, it seems to be OK and a few of my apps open a lot faster now.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
a poster asked me what I was afraid of with windows 10. you offer a perfect example. My computer is almost 4 years old I like win 7. My data is laid out where and how I want it. I don't need or want 10. In the very near future I will buy another laptop
Please consider an Apple. I almost sent mine back in 2009 but my wife convinced me to keep it. It takes a full 30 days to get the Mac to where things are routine like we want. It is worth the learning curve. Imagine a computer that you control, yes your may update or not based on your schedule not Bill Gates schedule. More money more respect more using the computer instead of being frustrated. Oh by the way if there is a problem after a update you will be talking to a qualified technician who will solve your problem quickly and for free even 7 years after you bought your Mac. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, everyday, win10, win, laptop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.