Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Well discovered the problem worked it out and had the geek guys do a design layout similar to my Windows 7.

told the geek guy that I refused the freebie on windows 10 and so stayed with windows 7. He told me that the initial Windows 10 had several problems and that they had worked them out.

I have a Dell Inspiron and found it has a mind of its own as it jumps around on me spells words the way it wants and increases its size up down at will.

So my new HP seems calmer and well behaved thus far

I checked out the browser ratings and found that goggle listed at the top, then Opera then Microsoft Edge then Firefox. However Firefox just add new features. So I had the tech guys continue my firefox.

I am now in a position to explore and to right click........

Thanks for your help guys. I still miss pen, paper, discretionary and encyclopedias
Old 12-09-2017, 07:21 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Huh?

Apple OS is Linux based, so is Google Chrome. Most servers are Linux/Unix based. My smartwatch is Linux. So are Amazon Firesticks and Roku. I have a 10-year-old laptop running a current version of Linux Mint. Works flawlessly as my primary PC.

I've put a current Linux on aging XP machines for over 2 dozen customers, they all love it.No viruses.

Look at UBUNTU and Mint OS.
I meant it never became mainstream on laptops. They are not actively marketed and fewer are available.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I wish I had the benefit of your knowledge a week ago.

We went to Best Buy my wife is very friendly and a talker

so she starts talking to this guy and he said to her my friend is an expert in computers and we researched and bang for the buck this computer is the best , it is listed on amazon and so Best Buy has to match their price.

he was right and we saved a bundle plus we had credit to use up

the store was awash with customers and hence pantomime ensued and the rest is history

Watch what you wish for

PS I still don't know if I am turning this computer on or off because every time I lift the cover a screen appears

Personal Best Regards:
There are varying schools of thought regarding turning a computer on or off.
My grandson is a PHD computer scientist/developer/writer.
Years ago he recommended (and still does) to just leave it on and let it hibernate/wake as required.
I don't think I have turned my computer(s) off in 10 years except when away/traveling.

It is a personal choice.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually Linux did take off - in a big way. Virtually all high performance computing (HPC) systems worldwide run Linux. There are a number of different Linux distributions that you can install on your PC, that come with a browser and an office productivity package. Many different consumer products run a Linux OS under the covers. The Mac OS is Unix-based (I won't go into the differences between Linux and Unix but for most conversations you can consider them essentially the same). While the total number of installs on desktop computers is dwarfed by various versions of Windows, Linux is alive and well. Inertia will pretty much guarantee that something called "Windows" will continue to have the most desktop installs into the foreseeable future. In my home, we only have Unix and Linux systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I am very disappointed that Linux never took off.

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-09-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Actually Linux did take off - in a big way. Virtually all high performance computing (HPC) systems worldwide run Linux. There are a number of different Linux distributions that you can install on your PC, that come with browsers and office productivity packages. Many different consumer products run a Linux OS. While the total number of installs on desktop computers is dwarfed by various versions of Windows, Linux is alive and well.
But not to the general public. When you go to Best Buy they don't say do you want Windows or Linux? They are prominent in the business world or to people who have some technical background but not to the general population.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

While Linux is not pushed by the big box stores, pretty much anyone can install Ubuntu Linux on their PC and anyone can buy a Mac, which has Unix (which is essentially Linux ... ).

Quote:
But not to the general public. When you go to Best Buy they don't say do you want Windows or Linux? They are prominent in the business world or to people who have some technical background but not to the general population.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:10 AM
fw102807

Quote:
While Linux is not pushed by the big box stores, pretty much anyone can install Ubuntu Linux on their PC and anyone can buy a Mac, which has Unix (which is essentially Linux ... ).
This is all true but I was referring to big box walk in and buy a PC options and Linux does not enjoy the same recognition as Windows and Mac. Not a lot of non technical people know anything about it. I didn't say it wasn't available, I said it was not mainstream.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If your assertion is that most people have never heard the words "Unix/Linux" or have heard them but don't know what they are then I would agree with you. If your assertion is that "Unix/Linux" PC systems are not mainstream then that is not true. About 11% of the PC market is "Unix/Linux" - about 9.5% is the Macintosh OS and about 1.5% is other various Linux distros. When you buy a Mac, and the vast majority of people have heard of a Mac, you are essentially buying a Linux system, whether you realize it not. Apple readily states the the Mac OS is Unix. Big box stores are only one place to buy PCs - and they do sell Macs. Go into BestBuy and say you want to buy a "Unix"-based PC - they will sell you a Mac. You can buy a Dell system with Linux installed.

Quote:
This is all true but I was referring to big box walk in and buy a PC options and Linux does not enjoy the same recognition as Windows and Mac. Not a lot of non technical people know anything about it. I didn't say it wasn't available, I said it was not mainstream.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM
fw102807

Quote:
If your assertion is that most people have never heard the words "Unix/Linux" or have heard them but don't know what they are then I would agree with you. If your assertion is that "Unix/Linux" PC systems are not mainstream then that is not true. About 11% of the PC market is "Unix/Linux" - about 9.5% is the Macintosh OS and about 1.5% is other various Linux distros. When you buy a Mac, and the vast majority of people have heard of a Mac, you are essentially buying a Linux system, whether you realize it not. Apple readily states the the Mac OS is Unix. Big box stores are only one place to buy PCs - and they do sell Macs. Go into BestBuy and say you want to buy a "Unix"-based PC - they will sell you a Mac. You can buy a Dell system with Linux installed.
Yes that was my assertion. To me mainstream means Linux would have the same name recognition as Windows and would be as widely available.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The various flavors of "Linux" are branded with various names such as Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu, etc. They start with essentially the same code base and do value add. You generally won't hear the term "Linux" as a specific brand. The same thing applies/applied to Unix operating systems; you will hear/heard of various branded names such as AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, UNICOS, MacOS, etc. They are all "Unix" operating systems and they all started with a similar code base. "Linux" is not a brand name such as "Windows". A "Linux" system is widely available: buy a Mac. The brand name "MacOS" has widespread name recognition. The code basis is different than the Linux code base but the user commands (awk is still awk and grep is still grep) are the same and how processes are handled (the kernel) is essentially the same. The GUI layered on top is, of course, different.

Quote:
Yes that was my assertion. To me mainstream means Linux would have the same name recognition as Windows and would be as widely available.

Last edited by tuccillo; 12-09-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, data, avoided, buy, transfer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.