Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Windows 10

I avoided the freebie for windows 10 for a number of reasons.

I just bought a laptop to use as a back up. best buy transfer my data from windows 7 to windows 10. I can't find my data , my websites nothing
Old 11-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Click on the File Explorer logo............ and then.....under Quick Access, check our documents.

Also, in the Search Box ("Ask me anything"), type "Apps & Features".............this will show what is installed on your machine
Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Click on the File Explorer logo............ and then.....under Quick Access, check our documents.

Also, in the Search Box ("Ask me anything"), type "Apps & Features".............this will show what is installed on your machine
Thank you. I am computer challenged
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 PM
fw102807

I too refused the upgrade to Windows 10 because Windows 7 was very stable and much less bloated than Windows 10. My next move will be to a Chromebook.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I avoided the freebie for windows 10 for a number of reasons.

I just bought a laptop to use as a back up. best buy transfer my data from windows 7 to windows 10. I can't find my data , my websites nothing
Did you save your data to the cloud? Or Google drive?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Sage

In the bottom left corner is a box of 4 windows. Right click that and click on File explorer.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I too refused the upgrade to Windows 10 because Windows 7 was very stable and much less bloated than Windows 10. My next move will be to a Chromebook.
I wish I had the benefit of your knowledge a week ago.

We went to Best Buy my wife is very friendly and a talker

so she starts talking to this guy and he said to her my friend is an expert in computers and we researched and bang for the buck this computer is the best , it is listed on amazon and so Best Buy has to match their price.

he was right and we saved a bundle plus we had credit to use up

the store was awash with customers and hence pantomime ensued and the rest is history

Watch what you wish for

PS I still don't know if I am turning this computer on or off because every time I lift the cover a screen appears

Personal Best Regards:
Old 11-30-2017, 05:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Did you save your data to the cloud? Or Google drive?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Yes best buy gave me the Thumb drive after they transfer my data. I followed dewilson 58 instructions to the letter and the message I get is "files empty"

I am beginning to suspect that best buy's data transfer failed?

they are coming to my home Saturday to fix my desk top and they are not leaving until they qualify me as an expert in windows 10 because I'm holding them hostage until they do. My wife is an excellent cook so they will get humane treatment.

sit eat teach, sit eat teach ,sit eat teach.....

Personal Best Regards:
Old 11-30-2017, 07:07 AM

Open file explorer, open c drive, open windows.old, copy and paste the folder with your logon name to windows drive.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Yes best buy gave me the Thumb drive after they transfer my data. I followed dewilson 58 instructions to the letter and the message I get is "files empty"

I am beginning to suspect that best buy's data transfer failed?

they are coming to my home Saturday to fix my desk top and they are not leaving until they qualify me as an expert in windows 10 because I'm holding them hostage until they do. My wife is an excellent cook so they will get humane treatment.

sit eat teach, sit eat teach ,sit eat teach.....

Personal Best Regards:
Respectfully, I hope you have eggs in the house because you and the teacher are probably going to be learning thru the night and will need a good breakfast to carry on. Remember a year ago when we were trying to keep Windows 7? I'm still learning Windows 10 also. It's painful but you're on the correct track. I wish I spent the extra money and bought the Mac. Good Luck to you.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Rubicon, the villages computer club can probably answer all of your questions, plus they have a few members that can come to your house, or help you over the phone. I had a listing, but somehow managed to lose it, or I would provide the contact info.
On a side note, I held off on the W10 free update until I had a known good backup of my PC, then allowed the update. Result, my computer 'looks' just like W7, and as long as I do not accidentally go into table mode, everything is where it belongs.
Send me a PM if you would like to discuss over the phone, or bring your laptop and thumb drive over.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:02 PM
fw102807

I am very disappointed that Linux never took off.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I am very disappointed that Linux never took off.
Huh?

Apple OS is Linux based, so is Google Chrome. Most servers are Linux/Unix based. My smartwatch is Linux. So are Amazon Firesticks and Roku. I have a 10-year-old laptop running a current version of Linux Mint. Works flawlessly as my primary PC.

I've put a current Linux on aging XP machines for over 2 dozen customers, they all love it.No viruses.

Look at UBUNTU and Mint OS.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Respectfully, I hope you have eggs in the house because you and the teacher are probably going to be learning thru the night and will need a good breakfast to carry on. Remember a year ago when we were trying to keep Windows 7? I'm still learning Windows 10 also. It's painful but you're on the correct track. I wish I spent the extra money and bought the Mac. Good Luck to you.
Yep could have should have had a big mac
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Veteran member

Windows 10 is a memory hog. never install on an older computer
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, data, avoided, buy, transfer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.