Lightning Damage to Computer

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Default Lightning Damage to Computer

Hello,

A couple of days ago, my computer was hit by a surge from a lightning strike in my back yard. The surge came in over the cable line. Comcast has replace the lines restoring my service. However, my computer does not start.

Does anyone have experience with diagnosing which components inside the computer may have been damaged by such a surge? Can it be diagnosed?

I am debating whether to hire someone to diagnose it, and if it is not bad, upgrading certain components. Or do you think it is hopeless? Should i just buy a new pc?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Factors that come into play

1. Desktop or laptop?
2. How old and what operating system is on it?
3. How attached are you to this particular computer?
4. Do you have extra cash to spend?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:20 AM

If the computer actually got hit, it could be just the power supply (an easy Fix) or the mother board. If it's the mother board, your computer is trash. The first thing to check though is whether the computer was plugged into a power strip with surge protection. PLUG THE COMPUTER DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL AND SEE IF IT BOOTS UP.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM

It is a desktop. About 3 years old. The specs are decent so i would love to keep it if possible. It was on a surge protector. The protector did shutoff. My router and monitor are fine. They were each on the same protector. I moved the comp to another room to test it on a socket that works, and still no go.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Years age we had a similar problem only it was a phone line and it killed the phone modem board. The rest of the desk top computer was ok. Also, carefully check all other electronic devices, TV, sound system, microwave etc. They may be working but could have weakened electrical components. Make notes and keep records. You may have to file a claim 6 to 12 months from now. As a side note we unplug/kill turn off the microwave circuit if we are going to be away for more than a few weeks.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Gold member

You stated it doesn't start. Does it even turn on? If not it's the power supply and maybe more.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Platinum member

After a simple check to see if it turns on at another plug I would seriously consider replacing it. This would be the time to buy with a tax break of going back to school possibly. Apple may also have some good prices. If you have the extra money and can part with it.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Sounds like it’s either the power supply and or motherboard. Power supply cost is around $45 and motherboard $85 to $110. Usually everything else in the computer is fine. Ask a computer repair firm how much the checkout fee and then the total labor charge would be to replace these components. If you could wait until after Sept 20th, I will be down in The Villages to help supervise the repair. I have repaired upwards of 10,000 of these beasts in my lifetime.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Recently, I lost a desktop PC twice to lightning ground-strikes. The surges came in the coax cable and both times it was the mother board that was bad.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

One more item, if you decide to replace the computer, either pull the hard drive yourself, or have your repair person pull the hard drive, as it will typically have LOTS of personal info on it. If you are lucky, you will be able to copy the contents of the old hard drive to your new computer. You will need to buy or borrow an adapter to do this. I have done this several times.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

I've been seeing a lot of problems like this come in at my store. Most of the time it just takes out the power supply, which is an easy and inexpensive repair. If you'd like to bring it by my store I can certainly tell you what is wrong!
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM

Well, I just tried a different power supply after watching a youtube video. And now my computer works! I backed up my important data just incase. The only problem now is the ethernet is not working. I tried my lap top directly connected to the router and it worked. So, i think the router and cable are fine.

Btw - all my other electronics work except a brand new tv. It is under warranty, at least. I should probably have an electrician check out the house wiring...
Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Any SURGE protector you buy or use for a computer and or TV should not only protect you from an electrical surge (where you plug your computer in) but also a surge from the COAX cable (where you first connect the outside COAX line to the surge protector and then to the computer).
Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Platinum member

Replace the onboard nic card with a new slot installed one. I am pleased that you were able to repair you compute as I am about ready to retire, closing my computer store because of my age and people like you who can repair their own or just replace with new. It’s been a fantastic 30 years of changes and innovations that I have seen which never seem to stop.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Hello,

A couple of days ago, my computer was hit by a surge from a lightning strike in my back yard. The surge came in over the cable line. Comcast has replace the lines restoring my service. However, my computer does not start.

Does anyone have experience with diagnosing which components inside the computer may have been damaged by such a surge? Can it be diagnosed?

I am debating whether to hire someone to diagnose it, and if it is not bad, upgrading certain components. Or do you think it is hopeless? Should i just buy a new pc?
The posts on this thread make a strong case for installing Primary Surge Protection on your electric meter or on your electric panel and Secondary Surge Protection on all expensive and sensitive electronics. Not to be over looked is to route the coaxial cable and telephone lines through a surge protector. Remember - Lightning Loves Technology!
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, surge, lightning, components, debating, hire, diagnose, couple, diagnosed, bad, hopeless, buy, upgrading, damaged, damage, comcast, line, replace, restoring, lines, cable, back, strike, yard, hit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.