Windows 10 Problem

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
My main computer guru has advised me to wait at least 6 months to install Windows 10 so Microsoft has time to work out the glitches.

If you don't really need the upgrade right now, I think that is good advice.

I've got 8.1 and am going to wait a min. of 6 months.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

After reviewing the cpmparison link provided by polar bear I see nothing that incents me to get Windows 10 until after all the fluff and stuff is shaken out.

I am content with Windows 7.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Sage

I am not sure what an update does. Just the fact that you can revert to Windows 7 makes me wonder if it converts files adding more files and chances of corruption. On the other hand, maybe what is saved is your compressed windows 7 OS and files. Just like Ghost use to do.

I know a fresh install wipes aways all the old settings and corrupt files. That's why whenever anyone asks me to help them fix their computer I always try to point them to do a fresh install. If they format first, that's even better. It takes a little longer and you do need to go to windows for all the updates later but the computer will run like the day you brought it home.

I don't believe Microsoft has a good enough track record for me to convert right now. Considering the amount of hardware that is compatable; that windows works at all is still an amazing engineering accomplishment.

Apple has complete control of the hardware and software. That's what you are paying for and I think the gap has closed quite a bit since the "good old days" when they used to charge $60/hr for repairs.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:03 AM

It was wonderful to read about all your experiences--and opinions-- of Windows 10. It took me a long time to learn Windows 8.1---(and I still don't understand everything about it) -- and was anxious to try Windows 10, if it was going to be easier. But now I will wait--thanks to your advice TWOPLANEKID and Ragman--for them to get all the glitches out.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Have been using for about a week it took a few days to overcome some start up issues but now it really works great I am really starting to like Cortina as she will find nearly anything I ask for even better than Siri. The one great thing is how speed has increased especially on this site. I have a Dell 23 inch touch screen with prior 8.1 which may be why I like 10
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Windows 10

I got Win 19 free so I installed it. Now I cannot print because it goes to HP eprint and you need a claim code. None or the ways they tell you to get it to work for me. Do I need to get a new printer?

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Does anyone know when the free upgrade expires?
Open for 1 year.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I got Win 19 free so I installed it. Now I cannot print because it goes to HP eprint and you need a claim code. None or the ways they tell you to get it to work for me. Do I need to get a new printer?
You only need to reinstall your printer ....or....you may need a new printer driver and maybe software which you can download at your printer manufacturer's site.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 PM

I upgraded two laptops to windows 10: an 8.1 and a 7.
They became lightening fast after this upgrade, however, my husband missed his 8.1 and I missed my 7, the snipping tool, etc. so I downgraded both back to where they came from.
No ill effects from any of this, thank God. We did need our Microsoft password though.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
You only need to reinstall your printer ....or....you may need a new printer driver and maybe software which you can download at your printer manufacturer's site.
Thanks for the info Loudell

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Eternal Member

I still miss the Start menu. What they have in W10 is worthless.

EDGE is a really poor excuse for a browser. I tried to make IE11 my default and all of a sudden I could not click on any links in Outlook and get them to open in IE. I had to make FireFox my default to see the links. They have no answer.

I went back to Windows 8.1 with my third party Start menu. Will try again later.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 08-11-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Sage

I am pretty much computer illiterate; however, my husband insisited we upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 this rainy afternoon. Went pretty smoothly, but I'm not happy.
First of all I am still an AOL user from the dinosaur age and for the life of me can't find the house that sat next to the mail icon to return home. Don't like the convoluted way I have to get to my favorites. And the worst part on TOTV and several other sites the back button does not work. So my advice is don't upgrade and could someone please tell me how to get my 8.1 back.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Sage

I certainly understand a new OS causing headaches. But I'm a bit concerned some are judging a little too quickly...especially after going ahead with the installation or upgrade. Some of the issues you're mentioning I simply don't see.

The Start menu can be configured almost any way you want it...to look like 8.1 or 7 or a combination of both. The back button (even on ToTV) works fine for me. If the little house is the "home" button in the browser, that can be turned on by simply toggling an option.

Again, I know new OS's cause a lot of heartburn. And Windows 10 is far from perfect. But I see a lot of good in it and I don't see many of the problems that are being mentioned in this thread. Windows 10 is highly configurable. A feature you want or don't like might be simply a configuration option. There's a LOT to tinker with. Just something to keep in mind.

The biggest negative I've see so far is the limited font-size control.

Good luck all...whether toughing it out with 10 or turning it back to a previous version.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I am pretty much computer illiterate; however, my husband insisited we upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 this rainy afternoon. Went pretty smoothly, but I'm not happy.
First of all I am still an AOL user from the dinosaur age and for the life of me can't find the house that sat next to the mail icon to return home. Don't like the convoluted way I have to get to my favorites. And the worst part on TOTV and several other sites the back button does not work. So my advice is don't upgrade and could someone please tell me how to get my 8.1 back.
I am having problem getting use to 10 but since it will be supported for a number of years I think it is best to switch.

The HOME icon is hidden. To get it back: Click the ... dots in the upper right corner. Select settings at the bottom of the menu. Scroll down the page and you will see advanced setting. Click it and the first menu item lets you add the home icon. In the box below you put the address of what ever you want to open. You can use copy and past functions to add.

Note when you open the ... menu the 8th item is to open with internet explorer. I have not tried this but you might want too.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
You have thirty days to switch back and get all your stuff back with it. I upgraded a 7 laptop and an 8.1 laptop and returned both to their original status. Go to recovery to do this. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, password, turn, screen, downloaded, safe, pword, past, dilemma, downloading, recollection, friend, mode, created, boot, talk, experts, frustrating, advance, exercise, thoughts, expertise, suggestions, resolve, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.