Windows 10 question

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Gold member
Default Windows 10 question

Has anyone downloaded Windows 10 Anniversary Update? Would you recommend doing so?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...setting_client

More info on features The Windows 10 Anniversary Update's best new features | PCWorld

Last edited by obxgal; 08-07-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-07-2016, 03:37 PM

I have down loaded it and have been running it for about a week now. I like it and would recommend it.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM

If you have Windows 10 already, you will get the anniversary update at some point. Its not optional. No earth shattering changes. I do like the tweaks they made to the Start menu.
--
Bob C
Old 08-07-2016, 08:17 PM

I didn't know about this. I downloaded and Alls Well...

Thanks...

Last edited by Marty4163; 08-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Gold member

Thanks GordyM for your opinion. Bases on you info and rexxfan's I guess I'll go ahead and download it. My son mentioned he liked the new Start menu also.
I got a new computer with Windows 10 already on it so hope it loads with no problems.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just downloaded. About 1 hr+ to update. No problems
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

If you have Windows 10, the days of deciding whether or not to download and install updates are essentially over (short of unplugging from the Internet). That may seem pushy on Microsoft's part, but having to support a nearly infinite number of combinations of updates installed or not was a nightmare. Now when they push out a fix, they know that anybody on Win10 will at some point get it. That's also why they are so incredibly eager to get people off older versions of Windows (Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, etc.) and on to a single version of Windows.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have two questions: 1. On my Control Panel ( updates) on my Dell Inspiron sits windows 10 upgrade. I can not find a way to delete this upgrade from my control panel? Any suggestions

Also I want to delete cookies and keyboarded cookies in search. the internet options appears and it tells me I can delete cookies temp files and passwords, etc. I just want to delete cookies and temp files. suggestions
Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Sage

I downloaded the anniversary update on two laptops. One fairly new works just fine. The other is a few years old and was running fine with Win10, but slowed to a crawl after the update. It used to boot to the desktop in about 10 seconds (SSD helps a lot!). After the update, it took about two minutes to get to the desktop with most of the time spent with a blank screen. I contacted Microsoft and went with a chat session with "Steve" whose typing indicated English was not his primary language. He suggested a few things that did not help and then asked to remotely access my computer. I declined and asked him to walk me through the process in case it occurred on my other system that hadn't downloaded the update yet. At that point he told me the problem was that my CPU was operating at max and I had a virus. I exited the chat session at that point. I knew my CPU was not overtaxed and I knew I had no viruses.

So I used the option to revert to a prior build of Win10, before the anniversary update and the system boots normally and is quick again.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I have a question, when I search windows update (in win10), I get a settings screen, that will NOT let me click or select anything on the screen, there are about 8 options. As I understand it windows updates automatically, but if that was true, why have a screen with options you cannot select?
The reason I am pointing this out, is that IE11 has become a little unstable recently. I wanted to update, but cannot find a way to force the update.
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, Livonia, Ann Arbor, Fairbanks AK. Last stop to be TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have a question, when I search windows update (in win10), I get a settings screen, that will NOT let me click or select anything on the screen, there are about 8 options. As I understand it windows updates automatically, but if that was true, why have a screen with options you cannot select?
The reason I am pointing this out, is that IE11 has become a little unstable recently. I wanted to update, but cannot find a way to force the update.
Thanks.
With the limited info, I don't know what screen you are actually looking at. Is your device a desktop, laptop, tablet?
Certain functions are allowed on the basis of hardware and disabled if the hardware can't support the function.

The settings screen should be headed with UPDATE & SECURITY and the left column should list
Windows update, Windows defender, Backup, Recovery, Activation, For developers. (possibly others)
The main panel (right) should say Windows Update with a comment beneath such as "Your device is up to date. Last checked (Today), (time)
Beneath that, should be a Check for updates box. Below that should be Looking for info on the latest updates with a "Learn more" and "Advanced options"
clicking the "Learn More" should take you to ----
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...setting_client

which gives you the option to get the Anniversary update right now rather than waiting for the push.

In any case, if it's updated automatically, then you shouldn't need to select anything because it's done for you just not at your convenience.

I used to be an IE11 user but it became far too unstable so I changed over to Chrome. Hey, trust me, it's MUCH better with only 1 or 2 exceptions.
However, Microsoft is pushing their new EDGE browser. The version you have now is 'bleh' but the one in the anniversary update is purported to be much better, enabling extensions and other enhancements.

Anyway, if you go directly to Microsoft's site (above), you should be able to force the update immediately. Good Luck

You can't laugh at the same things again and again, but why do you keep crying over the same things again and again
"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade"
Personally, I'll go for a Tom Collins.

Last edited by doccrocker; 08-11-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Sage

Doccrocker,

Thank you for the detailed info. This is on a laptop (in laptop mode, not tablet mode), and after reading your replay I went back to the screen you described, which is where I was before, and now there were updates available, I am installing now, fingers crossed.

BTW, I have avoided Chrome, as I do not trust Google, they look at stuff, like emails, way too much.

VT
Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
...I have avoided Chrome, as I do not trust Google, they look at stuff, like emails, way too much...
Of course such things are a personal choice. And I respect your opinion. But I don't think Google is any worse than most (all?) other email/internet service providers with respect to privacy, etc. I also believe they are consider less intrusive with their advertising than most. So, since I really like their services, especially Chrome, I am a satisfied user.

Good starting point...never assume anything you put in an email is totally private. Just ask Hillary.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, Livonia, Ann Arbor, Fairbanks AK. Last stop to be TV!

Quote:
Doccrocker,

...BTW, I have avoided Chrome, as I do not trust Google, they look at stuff, like emails, way too much.

VT
Data mining is ubiquitous. Everybody does it. This is an ad driven society. Polar Bear gave you the straight dope. (BTW loved his comment about emails.)
However, if you personally 'believe' that Microsoft is lower on the data mine curve, so be it. Since my philosophy is that everybody is looking over my shoulder,
I choose the apps that function the best and then try to protect my data/privacy with firewalls and any controls that I can apply. Since Chrome is my present choice (it also has a built in pop-up blocker), I'll offer an article for you to peruse. It's how-to-optimize-google-chrome-for-maximum-privacy. A 2011 article but still useable.
How to Optimize Google Chrome for Maximum Privacy

Also, if you have any 'geekiness" tendencies, I highly recommend this web site. If you subscribe (free) you get tips and tricks daily. It is a bit technical at times, though.

Remember, YOU ARE NOT PARANOID, ---people really are following you.

You can't laugh at the same things again and again, but why do you keep crying over the same things again and again
"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade"
Personally, I'll go for a Tom Collins.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Sage

Polar Bear and doccrocker,

First I second the email comment,, yes, I agree everyone snoops on the emails, I see that from the targeted ads on this site.
My updates window is working normally now, not sure what the problem was.
And finally, thank you for the website, I think this will get added to my list. I appreciate the help and comments.
VT

Tags
windows, recommend, anniversary, question, downloaded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.