Windows 10 - switch from 64-bit to 32-bit

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2021, 11:21 AM

You're likely going to have nothing but trouble moving to Windows 10 32 bit. You're much better off following the advice others have given and running DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox. You can set it up in minutes.

Do a Google search for "virtualbox dos image"
Old 02-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Default Don't do it!

Keep your well running 64 bit Win 10.

Do anything else, but keep the good OS.

Virtual Machine - iis a high overhead solution..I Would se the Compatibility mode.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyMike View Post
Keep your well running 64 bit Win 10.

Do anything else, but keep the good OS.

Virtual Machine - iis a high overhead solution..I Would se the Compatibility mode.
Compatibility mode still won't let you use legacy DOS programs. Compatability is not the same as emulation. Windows 10 64-bit -cannot- accommodate DOS programs. You -must- use a third-party emulator for that.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I know your weekend wouldn't be complete without an update from me - wake up in the back, there! - so here goes:

I decided to try getting vDOS to work one more time and, with help from the Moderator of the vDOS message boards, my DOS NewViews program from 1992 is now running sweetly on Windows 10 64-bit.

I really didn't want to risk going to 32-bit, so all of your advice and encouragement in this thread has been a great help, and much appreciated.

Thank you, everyone
Old 02-13-2021, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I know your weekend wouldn't be complete without an update from me - wake up in the back, there! - so here goes:

I decided to try getting vDOS to work one more time and, with help from the Moderator of the vDOS message boards, my DOS NewViews program from 1992 is now running sweetly on Windows 10 64-bit.

I really didn't want to risk going to 32-bit, so all of your advice and encouragement in this thread has been a great help, and much appreciated.

Thank you, everyone
I would strongly advise contacting NewViews to see if the current (Windows version) of the program will import your years of data. Then I would make sure that I do backups every time you use the old DOS program. My point: you never know when a Windows update will crash a 3rd party program, I have had this happen several times.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I would strongly advise contacting NewViews to see if the current (Windows version) of the program will import your years of data. Then I would make sure that I do backups every time you use the old DOS program. My point: you never know when a Windows update will crash a 3rd party program, I have had this happen several times.
I'd go a leap further and upgrade to the windows version of NewViews. Yes, you have to learn some software. But if you're going to stick with Windows and not go to Linux (which would support the DOS version) then you need to make sure your software is current, and not legacy.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, machine, 64-bit, 32-bit, drivers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.