Windows 10 Update

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2021, 03:14 PM
Default Windows 10 Update

My computer keeps trying to download and install Windows 2021-02 Cumulative Update (KB4601319) for weeks and every time it ends up with the message: Failed to install and the error is 0x8007000d.

If you Google this, it is pretty common but there is no reliable solution that I can find.

Does anybody know a reliable solution to this?
Will the next cumulative update which will probably come out in March install if the 2021-02 update is not installed? The 2020-11 Cumulative update installed OK.

By the way, I can't pause the updates because I stopped them for a while to avoid having this error every day and my pause limit has been reached.

Please no comments on the advantages of other operating systems. Just suggestions on dealing with this issue. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

i use mozilla & haven't had an issue, maybe try that?
Old 02-11-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

Try this site:

Windows updates KB4601319 fail to install or Won't Install on Windows 10 [solved]

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
My computer keeps trying to download and install Windows 2021-02 Cumulative Update (KB4601319) for weeks and every time it ends up with the message: Failed to install and the error is 0x8007000d.

If you Google this, it is pretty common but there is no reliable solution that I can find.

Will the next cumulative update which will probably come out in March install if the 2021-02 update is not installed? The 2020-11 Cumulative update installed OK.

By the way, I can't pause the updates because I stopped them for a while to avoid having this error every day and my pause limit has been reached.

Please no comments on the advantages of other operating systems. Just suggestions on dealing with this issue. Thanks.
Windows 10 has a built in troubleshooter directions are here:

Windows Update Troubleshooter for Windows 10
Old 02-12-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Thanks for this link. It is the most complete and easiest to follow online advice for this update problem that I have seen.

I have run the Windows update troubleshooter and also worked through every step in the link above. The result is always the same. "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)"

I don't know what else to do except wait for the next cumulative update to come out and see if that installs. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for this link. It is the most complete and easiest to follow online advice for this update problem that I have seen.

I have run the Windows update troubleshooter and also worked through every step in the link above. The result is always the same. "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x8007000d)"

I don't know what else to do except wait for the next cumulative update to come out and see if that installs. Thanks for the suggestions.
I have an older laptop that would not accept one particular update. In my case it partially installed then failed and required several hours to uninstall back to the previous configuration. This laptop DID accept a later update and every update since that time.

Don't know if you will have the same luck, but there is reason to believe that you might.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-12-2021, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Linux Mint works great on old hardware. It doesn't track you, very very very small chance of getting a virus (almost nil), it doesn't force updates on you. There are of thousands of free programs that do as good, if not better, job than Windows.
I've converted over a dozen people here in the villages to Linux Mint and none have asked to go back.
The easiest way to convert is to download Linux MInt (I use 19) burn it to a thumb drive, put in a used drive that you don't need and load it with Linux. I then copy any old files you may need from the Windows drive. There are many YouTube videos the can show you how.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

OP, try this, turn off your security software (I was using Norton 360) I found this was interfering with some update functions. Took me over a year to figure this out, online help sites were useless as well as Norton tech support.
Turn off security software, and try update again, then turn on your security software. Let us know if this helps.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

The link he posted above by Village tinker pretty much covers everything.

90% of the time when I've had machines that wouldn't take an update, clearing that software distribution folder resolved the problem.

You didn't mention if this was a laptop or a desktop. Do you have any cards plugged into slots in either case?

Remove all peripheral items, even including an external mouse if you're on a laptop(use the touchpad instead). Any docking stations, any cameras you use for zoom, etc. Everything. The machine should be as bare as it can be. If there are TV tuners, headphones, flash drives, whatever plugged in, remove them. If you have a wireless NIC in a card slot, run a hard wire to the router and yank the NIC out temporarily. You need to get the machine down to the absolute bare minimum.

Then try the update.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
The link he posted above by Village tinker pretty much covers everything.

90% of the time when I've had machines that wouldn't take an update, clearing that software distribution folder resolved the problem.

You didn't mention if this was a laptop or a desktop. Do you have any cards plugged into slots in either case?

Remove all peripheral items, even including an external mouse if you're on a laptop(use the touchpad instead). Any docking stations, any cameras you use for zoom, etc. Everything. The machine should be as bare as it can be. If there are TV tuners, headphones, flash drives, whatever plugged in, remove them. If you have a wireless NIC in a card slot, run a hard wire to the router and yank the NIC out temporarily. You need to get the machine down to the absolute bare minimum.

Then try the update.
This is about the only thing I haven't tried. The suggestion to disable my Avast antivirus should have helped but made no difference. Downloading the update direct from the Windows catalog website, the file size was identical with and without Avast working and failed to install with or without Avast disabled.

This is an HP desktop, just over a year old, with good hardware. Core I5-9400 processor with 16 GB of RAM. The items connected, all by cable, are a printer, speakers, monitor, and mouse. It has a wireless connection to the router but I think the connection quality is excellent and the downloads are coming through accurately.

In this experience I've found it's amazing difficult to shut off and keep shut off all the background processes that want to run. And this morning, after failing to install the problem update, it successfully installed the latest update to Windows Defender. A new cumulative update should come out late in March. Hopefully that one will install. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It has a wireless connection to the router but I think the connection quality is excellent and the downloads are coming through accurately.
The issue isn't that you're receiving a bad copy. They have checksums and simply won't run if the checksum shows the download integrity has been compromised.

The issue is to get the item out of the installed devices in the device manager. I mentioned wireless NICs specifically because I had one desktop with a wireless NIC that would take 2 hours to install updates then fail and unwind the whole thing. It was a 3-4 hour process every time I tried something new. Once I pulled the wireless NIC out, the install went through. I re-installed the NIC, the drivers updated and the problem was resolved.

A lot of the new HPs have a built in wireless adapter on the motherboard. I've not had one of those that has been an issue. It was only 3rd party devices. This is not to say that disabling it wouldn't help. It would certainly be on my list of things to try. Keyboard, Mouse, ethernet cable, power cord, monitor. Everything else disabled or unplugged.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
The issue isn't that you're receiving a bad copy. They have checksums and simply won't run if the checksum shows the download integrity has been compromised.

The issue is to get the item out of the installed devices in the device manager. I mentioned wireless NICs specifically because I had one desktop with a wireless NIC that would take 2 hours to install updates then fail and unwind the whole thing. It was a 3-4 hour process every time I tried something new. Once I pulled the wireless NIC out, the install went through. I re-installed the NIC, the drivers updated and the problem was resolved.

A lot of the new HPs have a built in wireless adapter on the motherboard. I've not had one of those that has been an issue. It was only 3rd party devices. This is not to say that disabling it wouldn't help. It would certainly be on my list of things to try. Keyboard, Mouse, ethernet cable, power cord, monitor. Everything else disabled or unplugged.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. My computer has a Realtek network adapter.

Do you suggest I let Windows Update download the file, then disable the adapter and install the update? Or download the file manually from the Windows Update Catalog website, then disable the adapter and execute the file?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
In this experience I've found it's amazing difficult to shut off and keep shut off all the background processes that want to run. And this morning, after failing to install the problem update, it successfully installed the latest update to Windows Defender. A new cumulative update should come out late in March. Hopefully that one will install. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Have you ran msconfig to tag the processes you don't want to run on startup? SOmetimes that helps!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. My computer has a Realtek network adapter.

Do you suggest I let Windows Update download the file, then disable the adapter and install the update? Or download the file manually from the Windows Update Catalog website, then disable the adapter and execute the file?
Sorry, I missed this earlier.

I would do an offline download of the failing update, disable the network adapter and run the update. I would literally disable everything I could. Network cards and printers are notorious for causing updates to fail.

You could also watch the process and when the update has been downloaded, then disable the NIC.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
This is about the only thing I haven't tried. The suggestion to disable my Avast antivirus should have helped but made no difference. Downloading the update direct from the Windows catalog website, the file size was identical with and without Avast working and failed to install with or without Avast disabled.

This is an HP desktop, just over a year old, with good hardware. Core I5-9400 processor with 16 GB of RAM. The items connected, all by cable, are a printer, speakers, monitor, and mouse. It has a wireless connection to the router but I think the connection quality is excellent and the downloads are coming through accurately.

Have you checked your hard drive to see if you have run out of disk space? If all you have is 16GB of RAM your hard drive may be small as well which would prevent your computer from downloading the entire file.
Closed Thread

Tags
update, cumulative, install, windows, error

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.