Windows 11 is Here

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 11, has just been released. If you have a compatible Windows 10 computer, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free today or very soon. You can either upgrade manually, or wait until Windows prompts you to upgrade, but that may not occur until the middle of next year. Some older Windows 10 computers are not compatible with Windows 11.
I am fairly techy for an old guy. I even taught myself computer programming about 40 years ago and wrote quite a few applications. Yet, I cannot imagine there is one new feature of Windows 11 that I want. I want my spreadsheet and word processing programs on my computer, not in the cloud. I'm not into social media, sharing my pictures with the planet, etc. Microsoft's vision is rarely mine.

I will wait until forced to upgrade.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
can mint run the windows programs and does it act like that?
While there a program called "Wine" that is supposed to run Windows not all Windows programs run on it.

There, however, thousands of Linux programs that can do the same thing as the Windows version (if not better).

Check out some web site of professionals that have switched to Linux (Chris Titus is a very good example).

Unless you are running some very specialized Windows software I think you will find Linux Mint a very good alternative to Windows.

Linux is much less likely to get a virus and doesn't force updates on you (you do then when/if you want to).
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, upgrade, compatible, manually, computers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.