windows 8 i can't turn of narrator

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Sage
Default windows 8 i can't turn of narrator

I would like to avoid a system restore if possible.
i can't turn off narrator by going to control panel and drilling down to narrator and unchecking the box.

I use an external keyboard on an older envy laptop because my laptop keyboard is damaged. I unplugged my keyboard and when I plugged it in again narrator started.

Maybe someone knows where the narrator setting is in the registry.

I also have a chrome book,

[update--i turned it off in SERVICES but it may come back]

Last edited by tomwed; 08-16-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Search for ease of access on your computer. It sounds like you have a program that is starting when the computer is turned on that is designed to help those with limited vision etc. You just need to turn the option off.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Search for ease of access on your computer. It sounds like you have a program that is starting when the computer is turned on that is designed to help those with limited vision etc. You just need to turn the option off.
thank you

I found narrator and it wasn't checked so I checked it and saved it and unchecked it and saved it again but that did not turn it off. It wasn't in the start up folder but it was in services and I turned it off.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank you

I found narrator and it wasn't checked so I checked it and saved it and unchecked it and saved it again but that did not turn it off. It wasn't in the start up folder but it was in services and I turned it off.
If you Google you will find a lot of information about this including registry hacks. The recommended way is to find the narrator.exe file take ownership of it and take away it's read and execute rights. The service will restart the next time you boot up.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank you

Good that you solved the problem but for others this was not the area I was thinking off. When you go to log on (before you do) see if you screen shows any icons -probably wifi etc and try these. One of these maybe the ease of access.
Closed Thread

Tags
narrator, keyboard, laptop, turn, plugged

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.