Windows Computer Help

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2020, 08:40 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund
Default Windows Computer Help

My wife, who is vision impaired, wants to start using a Windows laptop computer. What we are looking for is help connecting an external monitor and keyboard in a way the laptop does not have to remain open while using it. We are looking for someone that is a real expert with Windows 10 and Dell hardware.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

From what you described, it sounds like a desktop computer would be more appropriate than a laptop. But, if you already have a laptop, then you just need to take it to Best Buy and buy the appropriate cable to connect the laptop to the monitor. Newer laptops and monitors will have HDMI ports that will deliver video and sound to the monitor. Although, some monitors don't have built-in speakers. There may be a function button along the top row of the laptop keyboard that will activate the external monitor signal. Also, if you want the laptop to be closed and still operate, you may need to change a windows setting that determines what happens when you close the laptop. If you need help doing this, I would call Gizmo Depot, 352-641-0435, and possibly take the laptop to their store. I think Staples would also be able to help. Best Buy will help, but they are expensive.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

He may be able to walk you through it on the phone, but Villager Tom Damato will come to your house for computer set-up and repair. Reasonable rates.

352-299-5206
tmadamato@yahoo.com
Old 07-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Another alternative is MMD. They have helped us with computer problem several times and thought pricing very reasonable.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, not sure why the laptop needs to be closed, if you can leave it open, on my Toshiba, pressing the F5 function key connects the external monitor. As noted above you may need a special cable, mine has has both an older VGA port and an HDMI. If you have the owners manual it should tell you how to do this. You can download user manuals if you cannot find yours. Best Buy is probably the best local source for a suitable cable. I am not familiar with a setting that will keep the laptop on with the lid closed, you can select , turn off, sleep, or hibernate. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, not sure why the laptop needs to be closed, if you can leave it open, on my Toshiba, pressing the F5 function key connects the external monitor. As noted above you may need a special cable, mine has has both an older VGA port and an HDMI. If you have the owners manual it should tell you how to do this. You can download user manuals if you cannot find yours. Best Buy is probably the best local source for a suitable cable. I am not familiar with a setting that will keep the laptop on with the lid closed, you can select , turn off, sleep, or hibernate. Hope this helps.
Here is how you do it.

How to Keep a Windows 10 Laptop On When It's Closed

Right-click the Battery icon in the Windows System Tray
Then, select Power Options.
Next, click Choose what closing the lid does.
Then, choose Do Nothing next to When I close the lid.
Finally, click Save changes.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Default Computer Docking Station

I use my laptop just as you desire. I would suggest that you purchase a docking station that allows use of a standard key board and monitor. As a snow bird I have two docking stations,each equipped with a keyboard and monitor; one in TV and the other up north. This way I can use the computer at either location. while still having the ability to use it as a laptop when traveling. I have a Dell Latitude and Dell docking station designed for the the Latitude. However Dell and presumably other manufacturers make universal docking stations that can be used with any computer.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:12 AM

RetiredGuy is right, and that would be the best way to do it, but there's really no need to close your laptop. Keeping it open won't hurt it. As for the cords, BB should be the best place to get them. Check your big monitor and look for the shape of the hole where the cord goes. HDMI is shaped like a square with two angled corners. You may also have standard UBS holes. All you need is one cord such as HDMI to HDMI or UBS to UBS. Verify what your big screen has, and then take your laptop to BB with you and get a 6' cord of that type.

Setting up the display for the second screen can be tricky, but there are a lot of people here that can guide you.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2020, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

You may want to think about using Windows. It has many problems (always has and always will). Unless she needs the power of Windows and/or special programs that only run on Windows, then a good alternative could be Chromebox.

A Chromebox works just like a Chromebook (which has been around for over 10 years) but uses a separate keyboard and monitor. The big advantage of a Chromebox (or Chromebook) is that it doesn't need any of the antivirus software the Windows requires, the updates are automatic in the background so it never interrupts what you are doing. It's very safe and secure. If all she is going to do is surf the web, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon etc. or write a few letters, then a Chromebox would do her very well.

If you use the chrome browser then you already know how to use a Chromebox for the most part.

In my 50 years of using computers (from IBM mainframes to mini computers and PCs) I've settled on using a Chromebook for all my computer needs and left the Windows world completely 2 years ago.

There are plenty of YouTubes out there showing you the Chromebook (again a Chromebox uses an external monitor and keyboard and mouse) and what it does (doesn't do).

I've converted several people here in The Villages to a Chromebox and/or a Chromebook. I keep it simple, just web stuff and some spreadsheets and word documents (which are compatible with Excel and Word).

Joel Johnson
Old 07-24-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetterlund View Post
My wife, who is vision impaired, wants to start using a Windows laptop computer. What we are looking for is help connecting an external monitor and keyboard in a way the laptop does not have to remain open while using it. We are looking for someone that is a real expert with Windows 10 and Dell hardware.
Connect monitor by appropriate cable. There is a function key on the top row of keys the toggles the external monitor on / off.

As far as closing the laptop lid - very simple. Just go to control panel ... power settings ... advanced settings ... find the setting for what to do when the lid is closed ... change that setting to "do nothing". Then, when you close the lid, "nothing" will happen and laptop will stay on and function properly. Of course, if you are doing that you are also going to need to connect an external mouse and keyboard as the built-in ones are now under the lid.

I can try to help you remotely if needed. However, a personal visit is not possible as I am not in TV right now.

Bill
410-Computer (410-266-7883)
Old 07-24-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I use an external 23" monitor connected to my HP laptop via a VGA adapter available on Amazon. However I have to leave my laptop slightly open because closing it puts it into the sleep mode. There is a key st the top of the keyboard with a tv icon that press which shows a selection box on your laptop screen where you can select the external screen (has to be connected and turned on). I use an external mouse and lighted keyboard connected to my laptop via two usb inputs. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Just an fyi . windows has a setting to enlarge screen sizes forvision impaired.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
This a no brainer, connect the HDMI cable from the laptop to the external monitor - your done. I use a wireless keyboard no problem.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:38 AM
Default Happy to help

I'd be happy to help if you like.
Not sure if you already have the additional screen etc but, (without trying to sell you something), I do have 2 x pieces of equipment which could help.
A Monitor - HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor - Black - Talk of the Villages
A "Docking Station" - Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 Universal USB 3.0 Docking Station - Talk of the Villages

Once the second screen is attached, there is an option in settings under the power section on what to do when the lid is closed. All you need to do here is to select the Option to do nothing.

Again, happy to help at no charge if you want to contact me.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:44 AM

Get a Logitech keyboard mouse combo, around 20 to 25 dollars, just one dongle to plug in for both, next get a 27" Acer widescreen monitor, around $140.00 with a 3 year warranty, finally click on start then type power and open the power system, change the monitor from going to sleep to going black, now you can shut the laptop screen and not turn off the laptop, make sure your other equipment is set up and connected prior to doing the above and all should be well, The Computer Bank, hope this helps
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, computer, laptop, wife, remain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.