wireless mobile cards???

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Default wireless mobile cards???

NOt sure if that is the correct name for them but has anyone had any experience with these? I went to verizon yesterday and they told me it was $59.99 per month unlimited access and you should be able to use it anywhere your cell phone works? Does anyone know firsthand of verizon's coverage in TV? Not limited to that network, just where I stopped by. Any of them better than the others? Also would it be possible to network that to another computer? It plugs into a usb and I thought of hooking it up on my desktop and networking my laptop with a wireless router?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: wireless mobile cards???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKayDiva
NOt sure if that is the correct name for them but has anyone had any experience with these? I went to verizon yesterday and they told me it was $59.99 per month unlimited access and you should be able to use it anywhere your cell phone works? Does anyone know firsthand of verizon's coverage in TV? Not limited to that network, just where I stopped by. Any of them better than the others? Also would it be possible to network that to another computer? It plugs into a usb and I thought of hooking it up on my desktop and networking my laptop with a wireless router?
Thanks in advance
Haven't tried Verizon's yet. I did try Sprints. Same price same deal however Sprint didn't meet my expectaions due to frequent dropouts and the time to reboot was excessive. Now I'm dealing with the return policy of Sprint who agreed to a 30 day trial. Here we go again. :realmad:

Try them all BUT make sure you have a return policy in writing before you do. I'll be curious to hear from you on the results of your tests. Hope this info. was of some help.

Handie :joke:
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

I have Sprint and was charged over $50 last month for going over 40kb. The one I have is dial-up slow, and gets about the same coverage as cell phones.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM

I am running a Verizon Broadband card ($59.99/mo) and it works fine. Free PCMCIA card if purchased online & rec'd in a couple of days. According to Verizon's coverage chart, the entire Area at TV is covered.
Another option is the same thing using a USB stick instead, that way you can have access on any computer with USB port, i.e. home and laptop. No home connection needed unless you are doing Vonage phone.

Another option is a high-power wireless card. Most internal laptop wireless systems run at about 30mw with internal antenna. You can vastly improve performance with a 200mw card and "rubber duck" antenna. I can get networks over a mile away (line of sight) with this setup. Big help at wi-fi hotspots and othe available wi-fi networks.

Go to: http://www.radiolabs.com for more information.

Hope I wasn't too technical.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Default Connecting to a hotspot with my laptop

Hi,
We rent in The Villages every year and we bring a wireless laptop with us. But we have to use dialup since we don't have access to our modem router that we have at home, our landlord doesn't supply us with that! I was wondering....after seeing the post about the ultimate range notebook Senao card and kit, is this something that would work while we were in The Villages? Often we were able to pick up a signal only to lose it a while later. Or does The Villages offer something that we could pay for internet wise for 2 months???

NBK
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM

I am using my Verizon card more than the wireless but I have found the high powered WiFi card very effective. Usually good for about 1-2 miles line of sight, but it depends on your local situation. Worth a try though. NOTE: It's not considered polite or even legal to piggy back someone else's WiFi connection...BUT....it happens.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:04 PM

I have the Sprint Wireless Broadband card (about $60.00 a month). No restrictions and unlimited access. In fact I'm using it now to do this post. I traveled from Oregon down to California, and then across the US to Florida and was always able to connect to the internet using this card. Granted, in some areas the reception was better then others (in areas of poor reception the speed was slower but still acceptable). I had to sign up for a two year commitment but I am happy with the service. I have recently seen adds for AT &T 's laptop internet card. I might take a look at that one since my cell phone is AT & T and I never had any access problems with the phone. If the internet card is going to use the same network the reception should be just as good.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Sage

I have the Verizon Rev A wireless card. Just bought in TV this weekend but before I did out came the computer and I fired up my broadband card. 4 bars outside my new house. Also checked out my wireless PDA, Cingular....no problems.

I am coming to TV next winter but I still have to work for a few years.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum member

I have verizon Rev A also, and my laptop has very good connectivity throughout all central fl. with very few exceptions. Extreme rural areas can lose the signal such as in the ocala forest.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM

To user NBK regarding renting in TV and using your wireless laptop. Does the home you are renting have the ability to connect to the internet. It may not be hooked up, but the home may already have the connection. We too are renting for the first time in TV next winter. Our landlord has the ability for a connection. Our plan is to have the ISP (Comcast) complete the connection and provide us service for 3 months. We'll reimburse the landlord. I am also planning on bringing my wireless router and using my laptop from within our rental. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Captain, how is it illegal to pick up a wifi connection that is out there?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.