Would you pay for anonymity on Facebook?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage
Default Would you pay for anonymity on Facebook?

Our Children and Grandchildren use Facebook so for many of us we don't want to break that connection.

By the same token we know now more then ever about the risks.

If I was Zuk I would offer a family plan with a monthly fee, like sharing Netflix, that gives me and mine everything we want from Facebook but keeps it private for the identified family members. And the contract has to be written in plain English that a child [or me] could understand.

There are over a billion Facebook users. INMO that makes him potentially the most powerful person in the world.

YIKES, what if he looses his marbles.

I'm behind the curve. I recently found out Facebook owns What's App another one of my family apps.

"Talk is cheap. Which explains why I talk a lot." me

Last edited by tomwed; 04-11-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage

IMO, if you assume you can get 100% anonymity anywhere on the internet, you're asking for trouble.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
IMO, if you assume you can get 100% anonymity anywhere on the internet, you're asking for trouble.
I know that. I would just hate to throw out the whole kit and kaboodle and not see my new grandson every day.

My oldest takes pictures and videos almost everyday. I use what'sapp to see them. He's 7 months old and just started crawling 2 weeks ago.

Facebook owns What'sApp.

When he's my age Facebook will own 10,000 photos of him in addition to every word written on their sites that we write because that's the deal you make when you join.

I want to pay for What'sapp if there are guarantees everything is encrypted. Emails and photos are like post cards that the mailmen can look and read along the way but not if they are encrypted and you use a VPN.

So I'm not asking for trouble, I'm asking for a solution.

What do you think?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
fw102807

I also only use FB to keep in touch with close friends and family. I do not display anything publicly, and have disabled the ability to search for my profile. I do not put any personal information and have blocked all 3rd party apps. I do not fill out questionnaires, participate in games or share ANYTHING that says how many LIKES and SHARES can I get on it. Am I 100% protected...no one ever is...but I have done all I could to not make myself a target.

There are a lot of privacy settings on FB you can use. I do not use What's App so I can't comment on that.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I know that. I would just hate to throw out the whole kit and kaboodle and not see my new grandson every day.

My oldest takes pictures and videos almost everyday. I use what'sapp to see them. He's 7 months old and just started crawling 2 weeks ago.

Facebook owns What'sApp.

When he's my age Facebook will own 10,000 photos of him in addition to every word written on their sites that we write because that's the deal you make when you join.

I want to pay for What'sapp if there are guarantees everything is encrypted. Emails and photos are like post cards that the mailmen can look and read along the way but not if they are encrypted and you use a VPN.

So I'm not asking for trouble, I'm asking for a solution.

What do you think?
If you want a secure free video-sharing program, investigate VSee. Our older son, who refuses to use Facebook or other social media devices because of the privacy issues, uses VSee. It's an audio/video program, so you can see your grandson crawl all over the place (really cool, btw, that he's crawling at 7 months!). Our son is a tech wizard and knows what can happen; he's very concerned with privacy issues on the web.

Of course, the parents would have to install VSee as well. VSee - Wikipedia
Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

If you got what you asked for then you wouldn't be able to find anyone you might want to find and they couldn't find you. Really defeats the whole purpose of facebook don't you think.

As usual many folks are over reacting. Personally I don't give a rats rear what the internet knows about me. I've nothing to hide. And if ads are tailored to my searches and posts....great. I can always just turn the damned thing off. :-)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,107 Times in 2,235 Posts

Years ago, I consider FB to be the biggest security risk you could participate in, looks like I may have been proven right. In any case, I have managed to not participate in this security fiasco. IMHO, FB should automatically change ALL settings for maximum security and privacy, and then inform the users how to change settings, and THE IMPLICATIONS OF CHANGING THE SETTINGS. They also need to completely block access to any friends and contacts info from YOUR FB page.

As for the suggestion above, I would NOT consider an additional payment for security, as a matter of fact, I would want them to pay me if I lowered security. These same concerns go for Amazon, Google Chrome, Gmail, and all of the other apps that gather and share info.

On a side note: have you ever looked at the apps on your phone? On Android, you can see all of the information apps can see and you can actually take the access to this information away from the apps. For example, why does the flashlight app need access to my contact list, my email, my location, etc?

OK, I have vented, please be kind in replies.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
If you got what you asked for then you wouldn't be able to find anyone you might want to find and they couldn't find you. Really defeats the whole purpose of facebook don't you think.

As usual many folks are over reacting. Personally I don't give a rats rear what the internet knows about me. I've nothing to hide. And if ads are tailored to my searches and posts....great. I can always just turn the damned thing off. :-)
The problem is not that you have nothing to hide, the problem is that this information is used for identity theft and scamming.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Years ago, I consider FB to be the biggest security risk you could participate in, looks like I may have been proven right. In any case, I have managed to not participate in this security fiasco. IMHO, FB should automatically change ALL settings for maximum security and privacy, and then inform the users how to change settings, and THE IMPLICATIONS OF CHANGING THE SETTINGS. They also need to completely block access to any friends and contacts info from YOUR FB page.

As for the suggestion above, I would NOT consider an additional payment for security, as a matter of fact, I would want them to pay me if I lowered security. These same concerns go for Amazon, Google Chrome, Gmail, and all of the other apps that gather and share info.

On a side note: have you ever looked at the apps on your phone? On Android, you can see all of the information apps can see and you can actually take the access to this information away from the apps. For example, why does the flashlight app need access to my contact list, my email, my location, etc?

Having worked in IT for many decades I completely agree.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If you want a secure free video-sharing program, investigate VSee. Our older son, who refuses to use Facebook or other social media devices because of the privacy issues, uses VSee. It's an audio/video program, so you can see your grandson crawl all over the place (really cool, btw, that he's crawling at 7 months!). Our son is a tech wizard and knows what can happen; he's very concerned with privacy issues on the web.

Of course, the parents would have to install VSee as well. VSee - Wikipedia
The what'sapp account is shared with about 20 family members from all over the world. It's more popular there then here. I can suggest moving the account.
thank-you
Old 04-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

No way. Get ready for point counter point. Watch how Dan does it.
You're next.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
No way. Get ready for point counter point. Watch how Dan does it.
You're next.
Those were THE best days of SNL. Jane, you ignorant slut!! One of my favorite segments.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Sage

Thank-you Facebook users for your advice.

I found this great tutorial that explains all the how's and why's for Facebook settings. It's fairly short, the guy has great diction and is a very good teacher.

If you have 2 devices run the tutorial one and make the changes on the other. Let us know if he missed anything.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Default My view

Quote:
Our Children and Grandchildren use Facebook so for many of us we don't want to break that connection.

By the same token we know now more then ever about the risks.

If I was Zuk I would offer a family plan with a monthly fee, like sharing Netflix, that gives me and mine everything we want from Facebook but keeps it private for the identified family members. And the contract has to be written in plain English that a child [or me] could understand.

There are over a billion Facebook users. INMO that makes him potentially the most powerful person in the world.

YIKES, what if he looses his marbles.

I'm behind the curve. I recently found out Facebook owns What's App another one of my family apps.

"Talk is cheap. Which explains why I talk a lot." me
I have a facebook account-BUT IT IS NOT UNDER MY REAL NAME. Actually I have more than one. PRIVACY-once lost is gone and yet people gladly give it away.

IF, YOU WANT A SHOCK-LOOK YOURSELF UP ON SPOKEO.
YOU GAVE THEM ALL THAT INFORMATION.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:19 PM
fw102807

Good job! The problem with FB is most people use the default settings, accept invites from everyone and believe everything they read. If you Google there is also good info on "like farming" and innocent looking quizzes used to gain personal info. That is how Cambridge Analytica worked.
Closed Thread

Tags
facebook, family, plain, english, written

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.