Would you pay for anonymity on Facebook?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Sage

The scam has been termed 'Like-farming' and it allows scammers to generate huge interest in a page under completely false pretences. Once a page has achieved the desired number of Likes, the scammer sells it to someone who then changes its content to make it look like their (usually terrible) product ...

hmmmmm
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The scam has been termed 'Like-farming' and it allows scammers to generate huge interest in a page under completely false pretences. Once a page has achieved the desired number of Likes, the scammer sells it to someone who then changes its content to make it look like their (usually terrible) product ...

hmmmmm
Yup
Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
I know that. I would just hate to throw out the whole kit and kaboodle and not see my new grandson every day.

My oldest takes pictures and videos almost everyday. I use what'sapp to see them. He's 7 months old and just started crawling 2 weeks ago.

Facebook owns What'sApp.

When he's my age Facebook will own 10,000 photos of him in addition to every word written on their sites that we write because that's the deal you make when you join.

I want to pay for What'sapp if there are guarantees everything is encrypted. Emails and photos are like post cards that the mailmen can look and read along the way but not if they are encrypted and you use a VPN.

So I'm not asking for trouble, I'm asking for a solution.

What do you think?
I never said you shouldn’t use whatever you want, tom. All I said was don’t assume it will be 100% anonymous. I stand by that.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I never said you shouldn’t use whatever you want, tom. All I said was don’t assume it will be 100% private.
Correct, but it looks like he has taken steps to protect his privacy as best he can. Anything that becomes digital is in danger of being hacked but there are things you can do to make it harder. People just need to become educated.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Correct, but it looks like he has taken steps to protect his privacy as best he can. Anything that becomes digital is in danger of being hacked but there are things you can do to make it harder. People just need to become educated.
Totally agree. Just comes back to that 100% thing again. Some things simply shouldn’t be put on the web.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Gold member

If I read it on Farcebook...It must be true...
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
If I read it on Farcebook...It must be true...
Especially when you attach handicapped soldiers, deformed babies and abused animals to it. That is how the scam sites are formed.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
but Facebook does NOT sell data, but "ad" buyers can use tailored data to insure they reach their target audience.
Facebook uses the data you provide, such as where you live and how old you are, and combines it with geographic information from your phone to tailor ads to a certain audience. Facebook can charge more money the more specific the audience is. "With our powerful audience selection tools, you can target the people who are right for your business," Facebook says on its page about advertising.

How does Facebook do this without selling data? Advertisers choose the types of users they want to reach. Facebook can make the match internally to select the users to be shown the ads. In this case, Facebook isn't technically selling data, as it's all done internally. But without your data, Facebook wouldn't be able to offer such targeted advertising.

food for thought
Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

NFW, would never pay for privacy. That's a right, not a pay for privilege. I am deleting my Facebook account. If someone wants to contact me, call me! Whoops, I suspect my cell phone is not private either. What's this world coming to? Way too much intrusive technology.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Facebook uses the data you provide, such as where you live and how old you are, and combines it with geographic information from your phone to tailor ads to a certain audience. Facebook can charge more money the more specific the audience is. "With our powerful audience selection tools, you can target the people who are right for your business," Facebook says on its page about advertising.

How does Facebook do this without selling data? Advertisers choose the types of users they want to reach. Facebook can make the match internally to select the users to be shown the ads. In this case, Facebook isn't technically selling data, as it's all done internally. But without your data, Facebook wouldn't be able to offer such targeted advertising.

food for thought
Facebook uses the information to decide which ads to place on your news feed. I have found claims that my friends had "liked" certain pages that I know they would have never had any interest in whatsoever. Everything is geared to find out info about you which is why I do not share anything, i.e. if you share a post that you love your granddaughter then they know you have one.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Gold member

I don't use Facebook, never have, never will. When it first came out, along with several other "free" platforms, someone said something that has stuck with me ever since: "When the product is free, the product is you." So now all the idiotic politicians go after Zuckerberg with a frenzy, never recognizing this whole fiasco is a classic case of "you get what you pay for".
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Our Children and Grandchildren use Facebook so for many of us we don't want to break that connection.

By the same token we know now more then ever about the risks.

If I was Zuk I would offer a family plan with a monthly fee, like sharing Netflix, that gives me and mine everything we want from Facebook but keeps it private for the identified family members. And the contract has to be written in plain English that a child [or me] could understand.

There are over a billion Facebook users. INMO that makes him potentially the most powerful person in the world.

YIKES, what if he looses his marbles.

I'm behind the curve. I recently found out Facebook owns What's App another one of my family apps.

"Talk is cheap. Which explains why I talk a lot." me
FB gathers and sells your information and advertising pays FB to advertising. How do you think he became billionaire from free face book users? Any information you put on line is used. Law inforcement uses FB, the government pays for information on FB. Basically you're private information is up for sale. Once you start it it never goes away, even crinmals uses social media. In the day of the computer if you own house, rent apartment, have drivers license, got to hospital, and SS number you're information is out there.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I don't use Facebook, never have, never will. When it first came out, along with several other "free" platforms, someone said something that has stuck with me ever since: "When the product is free, the product is you." So now all the idiotic politicians go after Zuckerberg with a frenzy, never recognizing this whole fiasco is a classic case of "you get what you pay for".
TOTV is free
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I don'y use Face ,Twit,Text Or Snap..
Just good ole hello over the phone
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I don'y use Face ,Twit,Text Or Snap..
Just good ole hello over the phone
Have none of you noticed all the adds on TOTV that are geared to things you may have looked at online? Do you also realize how much personal information that you share on a site that anyone in the world can read and join?

Don't fool yourself that because you do not use FB you are safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
facebook, family, plain, english, written

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.