Xfinity 1000 Internet speed is it real?p

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2021, 03:05 AM
Default Xfinity 1000 Internet speed is it real?p

My Internet speed download was averaging 220 MHz up load 20 MHz. Then in December it would suddenly decrease to as slow as 19 MHz download, I would reset the cable modem and speed would be restored. But this was happening quite often.
Mid Jan agreed to xfinity 1000 MHz plan, instantly upload increased to 40 mhz from prior 20 MHz. But download speed only increased to 400– 500 MHz on a good day but no where near the 1000 MHz promoted and being paid for. Xfinity customer care is atrocious, unable to solve problems and constantly trying to upsell without fixing or addressing the reasons for the call to xfinity customer service. This is the problem with cable monopolies they don’t care because They are the only game in town.
I suspect with all the growth in villages that xfinity doesn’t have the bandwidth to service number of customers being added, therefore they are throttling down Internet speeds. So we are being ripped off by xfinity for services they know they can provide.
Is anyone getting 1000 MHz download speed?
Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

My Xfinity download speed is supposed to be "up to" 300 mbps. I just did a test on a tablet connected to wifi and the speed was 271 mbps. I don't think that Xfinity ever guarantees a speed. It is always marketed as an "up to" speed. I know people complain about Xfinity, but I have been very satisfied with their services for 5 years, even their customer service.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I can't speak to the actual speed, but what is it that you are doing that needs that much bandwidth?

I understand you want to get what you pay for but the difference between a 25mbit and 1gb(1000mbit) connection is not particularly noticeable unless you are slinging huge files around.

Latency is definitely noticeable. That can be addressed by buying a quality router. In fact your speed issues are more likely than not the result of a low grade router. Cheap routers often need reboots. A gigabyte rated cable modem and a low latency router will typically beat the advertised speed of the teir of service you're at.

One of the hats I wear professionally involves dealing with these issues on a commercial basis for a global company. On a personal level our villa has xfinity 100mbit and I typically get 128mbit download speeds. The difference is I have quality networking gear. If you look at xfinity's page, the have a list of approved gear for the cable connection. If you are using their stuff, its often low end.

As far as routers go, an ASUS gaming router AC1900 or better will easily handle the speeds you need without batting an eye.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2172 View Post
My Internet speed download was averaging 220 MHz up load 20 MHz. Then in December it would suddenly decrease to as slow as 19 MHz download, I would reset the cable modem and speed would be restored. But this was happening quite often.
Mid Jan agreed to xfinity 1000 MHz plan, instantly upload increased to 40 mhz from prior 20 MHz. But download speed only increased to 400– 500 MHz on a good day but no where near the 1000 MHz promoted and being paid for. Xfinity customer care is atrocious, unable to solve problems and constantly trying to upsell without fixing or addressing the reasons for the call to xfinity customer service. This is the problem with cable monopolies they don’t care because They are the only game in town.
I suspect with all the growth in villages that xfinity doesn’t have the bandwidth to service number of customers being added, therefore they are throttling down Internet speeds. So we are being ripped off by xfinity for services they know they can provide.
Are you using Xfinity's cable modem or your own?

If it is from Xfinity, keep complaining until they agree to replace it. If it is yours, check the specs to be sure it is capable of 1000 Mbps.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

If you're connected via wifi to the modem using a router, your speed will be significantly reduced. If you have more than one device connected via wifi, it is reduced even more.

Example is my own situation:

I have the 50mg option, which was upgraded automatically (at no additional cost to me) to 100.

I have a netgear modem and a netgear router that I purchased at staples, designed to handle up to 1gb max. So I'm obviously WELL under that max.

My router is connected to the modem.

My desktop computer is connected by wire to the router. My printer, laptop, tablet, 2 cell phones, and the TV in the other room are all connected via wifi. And yes, my printer is actually connected to the internet, I can send a print request to it from anywhere in the world and my sister sometimes sends me pictures that way since I gave her network permissions.

At the moment, the only thing I have actually turned on is the desktop, printer, and my cell phone. My download speed is 86, upload is 6.

When the TV is on in the other room, it usually goes down to around 60. If I'm streaming video at the same time, it takes a dip further. The lowest speed I've had my 100mbps network running was around 25, when I was having trouble with my desktop and had to port information from the cloud to a flash drive on my laptop, and change passwords with special security tests that got sent to my tablet, all while hubby was watching a movie on TV.

Unless you're running a lot of programs and applications on a huge business network, you really have little or no need to a 1gb speed - and you will rarely ever hit that fast anyway. If it doesn't buffer at 50mbps, it will "not buffer" no more flawlessly at 1gb. There's no benefit to ultra-high speed, for just normal regular household use.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
///
Old 02-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Xfinity is working out well for me:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	87952  
Old 02-01-2021, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Depends how youre connected.
Your device will limit your speed.
A brand new iPad, connected wirelessly can only download at like 400 or 500 M
A laptop, hard wired will depend on the device and modem. Even if its 2 years old, it wont go to 1GB
Most devices cant handle it.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Unless you;re mining for bitcoin, 271 is ridiculously fast. Perhaps you need whatever today;s equivalent of a T1 trunk line is installed for your home business.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

To all the people who say a "normal" household would not need those higher speeds, have you ever heard of streaming movies and videos in high def? And having 2 TVs streaming at the same time? I guess I am abnormal.

Xfinity speed is all over the place. I usually have to disconnect and reconnect twice per day to prevent buffering and that is on the 5G WiFi network. I wanted Century Link fiber optic but they told me they don't offer it yet at my new build in Bradford.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
To all the people who say a "normal" household would not need those higher speeds, have you ever heard of streaming movies and videos in high def? And having 2 TVs streaming at the same time? I guess I am abnormal.

Xfinity speed is all over the place. I usually have to disconnect and reconnect twice per day to prevent buffering and that is on the 5G WiFi network. I wanted Century Link fiber optic but they told me they don't offer it yet at my new build in Bradford.
High definition streaming maxes out around 8mbits and most run 4-6mbits. A 25mbit connection can handle 3+ of these simultaneously. 4k streaming requires around 23mbits.

A gigabit connection can support 80+ high def streams, and dozens of browsers all at the same time. I.e your entire neighborhood.

If you need to reset or restart your equipment, get better equipment. My routers are on battery backups and typically only get rebooted for firmware updates. I.e annually at best.

If you are using equipment provided by xfinity/Comcast or any cable provider, understand it's the cheapest garbage they can rent to you and still provide a minimum QOS.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:03 AM

xfinity just raised my rates by $22 dollars over a two month period. been with them for over 20 years. new people can get a huge discount but they wouldn't do anything for me
Old 02-04-2021, 06:43 AM

Xfinty response has been we are charging you for 1000 down load speed - but we don’t care - we’re a monopoly and go away!
You upgraded to 1000 down load speed, but it’s not real! and we don’t care!
Old 02-04-2021, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Xfinity is working out well for me:
Why am I slower?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	87987  
Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Why am I slower?
What device is that screenshot from? Are you hardwired to the router? What router are you using? Is it a cable modem/wifi device from xfinity?

Suspiciously looks like you are on a half duplex wifi channel on a gigabit link.
Closed Thread

Tags
mhz, xfinity, speed, download, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.