Xfinity/Comcast Modem & Router questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2023, 08:42 AM
Default Wireless AX (WiFi 6) not the old AC (WiFi 5)

Haven't yet noticed where anyone has mentioned "AX" technology.
Google "Wireless AC vs AX" for more info. It first came out I think about 5 years ago.

I suggest looking into it before buying new hardware. Otherwise you may be upgrading again sooner than you think. That includes if you buy a new computer, upgrade it to the WiFi 6 (AX) The computer must also have the AX technology to fully take advantage of it.

Since you asked, I am of the opinion to own your own equipment and NOT rent.
Also to buy separate cable modem and WiFi router.
Your SB6141 Router is aging and unable to get the speeds often needed today.
Those with few WiFi connections may find it to still be fine though.

I chose "Arris SB-8200" cable modem
and "ASUS RT-AX82U" WiFi Router

Just make sure that you're getting what you're paying for.
Won't get higher speeds if the internet provider is not providing them.
Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Old 02-20-2023, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Totally agree on purchasing and installing a mesh system. Even better, run an Ethernet cable from where the wi-fi enters your home to a central location in your house. Then install the mesh ‘home run’ there. You’ll have powerful WiFi thruout your house.

Depending on the layout of your house, a handyman can pull the cable up thru a wall, across the attic, then down thru the wall where you want the base unit of the mesh to be. Install Ethernet wall plates at either end and you won’t be happier with any other configuration!
Old 02-20-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger 2006 View Post
I own an 8 year old Motorola Modem SB6141 and a 5 year old Router that to date are working. The modem is not on the Xfinity must replacement list for March. I am considering replacing them because of their age. I know there are modem/router combinations as one unit available for purchase, or I can rent from Xfinity. My questions are:
1. Anyone have experience with the combination modem/router positive or negative or should I stay with the separate units?
2. If you purchased your own combination modem/router what specifically did you purchase?
3. Opinions on purchase or rent from Xfinity? I understand it is $15/month to rent. Do they tack on any taxes or fees to that charge?
About 5-6 years ago I purchased a NetGear nighthawk (modem/router combo). It works fine with Comcast, no issues. It's top speed is 800 mbps.
(Amazon.com) $200.00
Old 02-20-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
About 3 years ago, I purchased a new Netgear AC-1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router for my Xfinity Internet service. We are seasonal, and have been terminating our service every Spring when we leave, rather than putting it "on vacation" (to avoid the significant raise in rates when my "introductory" period expired). After successfully reconnecting for 2 (or 3, can't remember which) years, this past Fall, we were not connecting. Ended up having an Xfinity Service technician come to our house. Almost first thing he wanted to do was have me agree to rent one of their modem-routers. He connected their new modem-router in our house, it would still not connect to Xfinity's service -- until he replaced a couple of old connections outside. Then it seemed to connect fine. I asked if he could reconnect my Netgear AC-1600. His response was that due to some upgrades Xfinity had made in their service during the past few months, he was sure it wouldn't work, and assured me that the rental on their "good" modem-router is only $10 per month. We accepted the rental, which has since become $15 per month. I have never been 100% confident that my Netgear AC-1600 won't work any more, but have not taken the trouble to try to switch. Just to mention, we're in a patio villa (which to my understanding should not require as powerful a router as a larger house).
To answer OP's questions: (1) I've always used the combination Modem/Router, & been successful, except for the above-mentioned instance. (2) Rent vs. buy: Probably no one right answer for everyone. Depends on price you can buy at, and how much/how often technology advances beyond capability of the unit you buy. As to tax, with regard to the monthly billings, everything is lumped together, I assume taxes are levied on everything.

Finally, I'd appreciate any opinions of knowledgeable folks as to whether it is reasonable to believe that my 3-year-old Netgear AC-1600 is really obsolete??
About 5-6 years ago I purchased a NetGear nighthawk (modem/router combo). It works fine with Comcast, no issues. It's top speed is 800 mbps.
(Amazon.com) $200.00
Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskathyb View Post
(Amazon.com) $200.00
It doesn't look like it has a phone jack to use with the Xfinity digital landline service.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:30 AM
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen
Default Modem

Quote:
I own an 8 year old Motorola Modem SB6141 and a 5 year old Router that to date are working. The modem is not on the Xfinity must replacement list for March. I am considering replacing them because of their age. I know there are modem/router combinations as one unit available for purchase, or I can rent from Xfinity. My questions are:
1. Anyone have experience with the combination modem/router positive or negative or should I stay with the separate units?
2. If you purchased your own combination modem/router what specifically did you purchase?
3. Opinions on purchase or rent from Xfinity? I understand it is $15/month to rent. Do they tack on any taxes or fees to that charge?
Have a Motorola AC1900 modem router with voice model MT7711 I will sell you for $60. Interested 970-371-5140. Les
Old 02-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Some routers automatically check for updates and subsequently send them. If not, ideally, your router firmware should be updated at least once in five years. In case there are many devices connected to it on a regular basis, every three years is also a good time to check up on your router firmware.Jan 31, 2022
I hope the automatic updates were specifically by your choice and not by default. I don’t want anything automatically updating anything ever. I am notified that the update is available and then choose if I need or want it.

The technician who just set up the modem/router I brought from the other house set it to be a Hotspot. Ah, I don’t think so. I specifically asked him if he had done that and he said no. Wish I had that tip back. Gotta have eyes in the back of your head with the people you have in the house.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:54 AM
Default separate unit problems

There was a note from Comcast changes to Modem specs coming March 13, 2023.
I use a Motorola modem listed as compatible, and a separate NetGear router not their largest. When I upgraded the router to a faster one, with three antennas instead of two, it produced unusual messages in browser when accessing a webpage that page connection was refused, even though Windows shows the internet is connected. But the smaller router still worked. Some deep technicality. So I would upgrade with my own combination modem-router might work better, haven't tried, though Comcast's rental worked
Combo's cost the same as two separate devices. There is a bandwidth limitation on the WiFi which can be bypassed in special applications by running a long ethernet cable directly between the modem and computer, but then no WiFi while using. Highest bandwidth. Uploading bandwidth though, did not increase, always much lower than download. Test speed with speedtest.net in browser or speedtest downloaded app. Revealing.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:05 AM

I have Century Link optical service (1000mhz) that terminates right in my office into their (free) modem. I bought the Google mesh 3 node router and have service all over my house including my garage to update my car software. I have not had any issues with either. The internet service is $65 month including the modem and tax, guaranteed price for life. I've had this service for over 3 years
Old 02-20-2023, 11:51 AM
Default Router Modem Used but not Abused

Quote:
I have left Xfinity. I have a Arris Surfboard Internet, Wi-Fi & Voice Modem that was used for 23 months. Owners Manual Inc. It is Certified to work with Xfinity. WiFi speeds up to 1750 MPS. DOCIS Speed up to 1 GBPS. Still in Original box.

I will sell it for $50.00 cash.

It served me well. Telephone ready, also.

Call me at 352.250.7807 if interested.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:36 PM
Red face

Quote:

Find Out if Equipment Is Approved and Compatible With Xfinity Services
Device Info - Xfinity

Also, why replace it if it is still working?
Old 02-20-2023, 05:18 PM

Motorola MB8611 modem/router works great! Had the Arris and returned it within 2 days as it was super unreliable and the website/support was abysmal.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Wow...

Just upgraded my phone to a Samsung s23 Ultra and did a speedtest to my Moto MG8702 Modem/Router with Xfinity and I got 382 down and 24 up over 5Hhz wifi 2 rooms away. Paying for 900Mbps with Xfinity. Guess I upgraded the weakest link!
Old 02-25-2023, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
yeah time for the motorola to retire -

1) combination units, especially the Arris are BLAH. (technical term used by cool nerds) They also do not deliver full bandwidth. Most units you get from the "transmiter" are weak, low end, etc. Where this comes in play is your usage. For example, I run quite a bit of things here that demand the ability to burst as well as heavy stream, I keep it safe by going with 1GB Fiber as I know I won't drown it but I can do what is necessary when I have to.

2) combinations no, individual yes unless.... So I went with Orbi as it was the best of the few that could transmit wifi at 1GB, which incidentally solves the large problem of these other companies and their all in one units. EVEN if they say you are getting the speed we can see it, that is ONLY to the modem/router it is not what is being transmitted from the wifi antennae

3) I always own my own gear, when they want to trap you into having to use their modem, I get it bridged so it's only a modem.

hope that helps
We own an Arris modem/router combo for several years, do put on "vacation" when we are one in summer. Has been just fine. Have saved a bunch by owning our own equipment.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:12 AM
Gold member

Arris G34 SURFboard...DOCSIS 3.1 / WiFI 6 (ax)...$200 at Amazon.
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, rent, modem/router, purchase, modem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.