5" vs 6" Gutters

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 AM
Default 5" vs 6" Gutters

Having house built in Monarch Grove (Sunflower) and want to have gutters put on when completed.

I would like to eliminate the normal location of a downspout on corner of garage and entry way which would cause water to run across entryway sidewalk.

Has anyone done this and if so what size gutter did you go with to accomidate the additional water for other downspouts to handle with one eliminated.

Looking at diagram and you will see where I would like downspouts in red.

Has anyone done similar instalation on there house and how did the gutters handle the water and did you use 5" or 6" and is there any problems you found?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5971 Baldeschwieler Way  Downspouts.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	82933  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Gutter Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandB View Post
Having house built in Monarch Grove (Sunflower) and want to have gutters put on when completed.

I would like to eliminate the normal location of a downspout on corner of garage and entry way which would cause water to run across entryway sidewalk.

Has anyone done this and if so what size gutter did you go with to accomidate the additional water for other downspouts to handle with one eliminated.

Looking at diagram and you will see where I would like downspouts in red.

Has anyone done similar instalation on there house and how did the gutters handle the water and did you use 5" or 6" and is there any problems you found?
Shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely recommend 6" with the heavy rain storms we get down here and wanting to eliminate that downspout. You may get some spill over with extremely heavy rain but it won't hurt the gutter. Worst case we can come back out and add the downspout later if you find it necessary. You can visit our website and request a custom quote from us. Home | The Guru Gutter Guys
Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM
Default Have you done any like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSolarGuys View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely recommend 6" with the heavy rain storms we get down here and wanting to eliminate that downspout. You may get some spill over with extremely heavy rain but it won't hurt the gutter. Worst case we can come back out and add the downspout later if you find it necessary. You can visit our website and request a custom quote from us. Home | The Guru Gutter Guys
Have you done any installations with no downspout at location i want to eliminate? Any possible references from locations this was done at?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Default Gutter size dilemma

TOV is full of great info on contractors to install gutters. From all that info I have a list of 6 contractors. So finding someone to install them is not an issue.
The problem I am having is mixed reccomendations on what size gutters to install. From all the postings I have read I found nothing on gutter size installed. The two sizes to chose from is 5" or 6".
I would appreciate some feedback from fellow homeowners who have either the 5" or the 6" gutters installed and if you have the 6" reasons for going the larger size.

I want to eliminate if possible one of the downspouts that would drain water across entry sidewalk. I know i could have a catchbasin installed but is that necessary? Would a larger size gutter eliminate that need?

Also of importance is how does the house look for apperance if a 6" gutter is used. Does using the larger gutter affect how the house looks?

I plan to drive around and look to see if I can spot 5" and 6" gutters to see how they look on the house.
But I think your information the Villagers of TOV with any pros or cons for both sizes would help not only me but any others with this same dilemma of gutter size.
I hope to hear feedback back from the people of The Villages not a contractor wanting to sell me their gutters.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Gold member

I replaced my 5" gutters with 6" and added more downspouts. They don't overflow now.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Gutter Guys

Yes, we have done that before and haven't ever had a call back to add the downspout later on. I don't have a way of searching for a customer with that specific scenario but I will see what I can find. Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

I think the 5 inch gutters will work fine, unless your gutters are subject to clogging with leaves and/or other debris. My house has 5 inch gutters and they have never even come close to filling up with water during heavy downpours. The main thing is to ensure that the gutters have a proper slope toward the downspouts. Also, if you eliminate a downspout, I don't think using a larger gutter will help very much to prevent overflowing. The 6 inch gutters would be more appropriate if you had a very steep sloped roof, which is not typical in The Villages.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM
Default Thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the 5 inch gutters will work fine, unless your gutters are subject to clogging with leaves and/or other debris. My house has 5 inch gutters and they have never even come close to filling up with water during heavy downpours. The main thing is to ensure that the gutters have a proper slope toward the downspouts. Also, if you eliminate a downspout, I don't think using a larger gutter will help very much to prevent overflowing. The 6 inch gutters would be more appropriate if you had a very steep sloped roof, which is not typical in The Villages.
Thanks for the feedback I think I will be going with the 5" gutter
Old 02-19-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Do they make gutters larger than 6" ?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

if i were to add new gutters i'd do 6 inch.. However, with the severity of florida storms, you will still get significant overflow.. there's just too much water coming down the roofs at high velocity to expect any gutter to catch it all..
Old 02-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
if i were to add new gutters i'd do 6 inch.. However, with the severity of florida storms, you will still get significant overflow.. there's just too much water coming down the roofs at high velocity to expect any gutter to catch it all..
The builder uses 5 inch gutters. I have them, and I have been on a ladder during heavy downpours, and my gutters have never filled up even halfway. If you have a situation where your gutters will clog up with leaves, then I can understand where you may want a larger gutter. But, even if they were to overflow once or twice, it would not be a big deal.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.