Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Default Re: Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mac
We are moving into our new TV home within a month and would like to hear other resident' ideas on
options for new services to provide for phone, TV (HD), and Hi-Speed Internet.

We currently have Comcast for TV/HSI and local phone coverage, but am researching other options and would appreciate any advise you can provide (costs, good/bad experiences, cable vs dish, etc.).

I have looked at Embarq with Dish Network (~ $134/month with unlimited long distance).

What do you have, and how do you like it? Roughly what are the monthly costs?

Thanks in advance! I will appreciate any advice or comment.
You can add Dish for a full bundle $178.. Plus a DVR FREE
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy
Thanks so much.
Unfortunately, I am under contract with Sprint for a bit longer.....It is fine everywhere else I go---(I even made a call to the US when I was in AFRICA!). Just hope that TV isn't too "remote"!
Lynn
I visited TV for two weeks in June, and had good reception with my Sprint phone, at least in the locations I were in when I made the calls.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Have had Sprint for many years.

Works just fine here.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Just one item of note - the next time I move (which will hopefully be to TV) I'll be making a decision whether to go completely 'cell' for phone coverage or go 'landline ' for a piece of it. What I've experienced living up here in Western NY, is when a winter storm comes thru and knocks out the electricity, your land line will still be working, while your lo-charged cell phone and/or Vonage like connection will be out of order!!! While I wont be worried about winter storms, those late summer/ early fall Fla. storms could hurt. Decisions, decisions, decisions ,......
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Living in SE Florida for many years, and going through one or two hurricanes and associated power failures, we found that land lines where you are only using cordless phones are useless - no power, no phone! :dontknow: We went to a thrift shop and found an old "corded phone" which does not require that the electricity be on - just the phone lines to be operative! Just something to consider - even though we will NEVER have hurricanes in TV - THAT'S why we bought here (as well as all the great neighbors and the :2cool: TOTV'ers).
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM

I have had good results with my Sprint cell phone while down seasonally in the Villages. More of a problem is getting service in some wings of Orlando airport with sprint.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

NO problem with Nextell or using its Direct Connect system !!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Hi again,
Sorry to be a bother--but, I wondered if someone could send me the local number for the telephone company as well as the cable company.
I need to do the research, on cost, for getting high speed Internet for two months while I am renting in THE VILLAGES in Nov/Dec.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

TSK TSK If you had rented from me, I have free internet service with the rental.
Handie :joke:
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM

Would you have taken my dog????

ANYHOW--do you have the numbers that I need to make the inquiry?
Lynn
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Hi Lynn,

We would have... we have to lil ones ourselves.... If you are considering renting for Jan let me know we have Jan open... 3 bdr 2ba 2 car garage on golf course
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Although we own in Caroline we do not have a land line and the Direct Connect is great for us. I travel all over from Glenwood CC, Savananah Center , Spanisih Springs, and down south of Mallorry Hills/ Never had a problem connecting
Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary S

Since I just finished paying my bills, the numbers were handy.

Embarq is the local phone service (1-800-339-1811 for customer service) They offer DSL service, but not sure of the short term rates.

Comcast is the local cable service (352-787-7875) for Assistance. No toll free number on the bill.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks!
I already called Embark....
They are putting in high speed Internet for the two months that I'll be there....sending me the modem and will activate for $30 and then a price of $34.95 for each month.
Great thing is that I get to keep the modem.....and can always bring it with me if I rent again....
Thanks for thinking of me.
Lynn
Old 08-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
Unfortunately, not much competition is available in TV and I think also due to developer choice.

We had comcast cable and internet and Embarq local phone service with cell phone Verizon for long distance. Did not like comcast.

We now have Dish for television; earthlink/embarq for internet; Embarq for local/land line and Verizon cell service which we use for long distance. This is a bundled package except for cell service.

I don't think one is really better than the other but my husband prefers Dish for the television because of the channels it offers.

May I ask who installed your dish? I am coming down in November and want to have an installer who will put in the dish and wires to 2 rooms for my FTA receiver. (Its called free to air), its cardless and receives channels that are free. Does not require or demand a subscription to DISH NETWORK.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.