Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Default Re: Advice on options for Phone/TV/Internet

Bubbalarry, I never heard of FTA receivers, but it sounds very interesting. I have leftover dishes on my roof left by Dish when I switched to Comcast a year ago, and now that Comcast keps going up in price every month, I'm ready to ditch them too. I'd like to hear more from you about this if you wouldn't mind elaborating. TIA!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mac
We are moving into our new TV home within a month and would like to hear other resident' ideas on
options for new services to provide for phone, TV (HD), and Hi-Speed Internet.

We currently have Comcast for TV/HSI and local phone coverage, but am researching other options and would appreciate any advise you can provide (costs, good/bad experiences, cable vs dish, etc.).

I have looked at Embarq with Dish Network (~ $134/month with unlimited long distance).

What do you have, and how do you like it? Roughly what are the monthly costs?

Thanks in advance! I will appreciate any advice or comment.
Kenmac: I'm assuming you have now made your decision on TV/phone/internet. Do you mind sharing what you decided? We need to hook those services up as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM

We have had Comcast for cable and for Hi-Speed Internet in West Palm Beach and decided to keep both of these in the Villages.

Apparently the phone co is going to be offering a "special package" of all three services (with a discounted rate), but they could not tell us when (I believe they use Dish Network for their "Cable" offering) - so, in lieu of any special deal we just got basic phone from them.
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
Bubbalarry, I never heard of FTA receivers, but it sounds very interesting. I have leftover dishes on my roof left by Dish when I switched to Comcast a year ago, and now that Comcast keps going up in price every month, I'm ready to ditch them too. I'd like to hear more from you about this if you wouldn't mind elaborating. TIA!
FTA (Free to air) Is a receiver you buy that compromises dish network (USA) & Bell Express Vu A.K.A as Bev (Canada.) They are not illegal to own because they come without the card thats required to receive signals from those networks. They were and are designed to pickup sat signals that are free. However they can be modified by using bins from various INTERNET sources that you can d/l and send to your receiver from your PC, using a cable or a USB stick. Of course both of these networks try counter measures to try and stop people from getting all the channels that include all PPV's and Sports.

For example you can receive all the channels from USA stations that Dish Network lists and many,many, local channels from around the USA using sat 110 & 119. Also using the same dish thats modified can get all programming from Canada that includes the NFL Package that DTV has. They don't own the Canadian Sat's 82 or 91, which these channels come in on.

So with the right dish 500 antenna and 4 LNB'S which are secured together on the dish and pointed in the correct direction can receive these signals with whats called a Diseqc switch (similar to a cable splitter 4 ways to 2) One cable split 2 times into the switch for port 1 & 2 and the other cable splits into 3 & 4. So with one dish you can receive 4 Sat's and so on is how it works.

Now please go and find me an installer.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Eternal Member

Bubbalarry,
Check your private messages. I sent you a name.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum member

hmmm :cop:
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb
Bubbalarry,
Check your private messages. I sent you a name.
Called and never got a response. Still looking.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

bubbalarry, that's interesting about the free service, if you get that installed and working, please post
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.