Aeration

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Default Aeration

Looking for someone to aerate my lawn. Any recommendations.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Adam Neusbaum, 352-342-1384. In addition to aeration he does lawn leveling, pine straw spreading and other services.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage

Just out of curiosity, why would you aerate sand ??
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you aerate sand ??
Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Default My two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd1946 View Post
Looking for someone to aerate my lawn. Any recommendations.
I regularly tease that fortunately my plants can't read.

To aerate or not to aerate depends on who you listen to and your budget and your soil condition.

I've not had my lawn, which is almost six years old, aerated. I know people who have in my area. Typically they run a machine over your lawn and remove soil plugs that are roughly two inches in length. I cannot fathom how that would in any way shape or form improve anything. In my OPINION, if you have someone remove those plugs, you should ask about raking in organic matter.which would or should improve our sandy, clay, alkaline soil.

You might want to go to the free lectures put on by the cooperative extension.

People are people and few will say what they do is wrong. MY OPINION-our soil is what you have. You can and should improve what you have. MY OPINION-the best thing you can do is add organic matter. For best results you need to get it into the soil.
Laying organic matter on top does little as there is nothing that will bring it into the root zone.

CRAZY-YES. I've over two years drilled 1.5 inch holes eight inches deep every 4-6 inches in my lawn. In my 5,000 sq ft lawn, I've added 4,000 lbs of composed manure.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I regularly tease that fortunately my plants can't read.

To aerate or not to aerate depends on who you listen to and your budget and your soil condition.

I've not had my lawn, which is almost six years old, aerated. I know people who have in my area. Typically they run a machine over your lawn and remove soil plugs that are roughly two inches in length. I cannot fathom how that would in any way shape or form improve anything. In my OPINION, if you have someone remove those plugs, you should ask about raking in organic matter.which would or should improve our sandy, clay, alkaline soil.

You might want to go to the free lectures put on by the cooperative extension.

People are people and few will say what they do is wrong. MY OPINION-our soil is what you have. You can and should improve what you have. MY OPINION-the best thing you can do is add organic matter. For best results you need to get it into the soil.
Laying organic matter on top does little as there is nothing that will bring it into the root zone.

CRAZY-YES. I've over two years drilled 1.5 inch holes eight inches deep every 4-6 inches in my lawn. In my 5,000 sq ft lawn, I've added 4,000 lbs of composed manure.
Holy Cow
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM

most of our lawns are compacted sand , water and nutrients have a hard time getting to the root which are about 3 inches below the surface. Airation and addings compost (black cow) allows water and nutrients to reach the roots. This is very beneficial especially with Zoysia turfs.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 AM

Purchased our home about 17 months. Our lawn was in very poor condition. Pretty much the ugliest in the community. After having it aerated and applying Black Cow. Its as nice as our neighbors. I highly recommend Adam Neusbaum 352-342-1384
Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Platinum member

What is Black Cow? How do you apply it, and where do you buy it?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
A root beer float. If you never had one..... you don't know what you're missing.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 PM

Black Cow is composted Cow Manure which provides natural nutrients from native grasses.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Default As to what is black cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Black Cow is a widely available cow manure. The only cow poop with a brand name and a radio jingle. MY OPINION having used lots of it. It is a quality product, well composted so that it does not smell and it is rare to find scraps of stuff like wood in it. It is rather expensive. I understand it can be purchased for less if you buy a truck load. But, where can you keep a pile of cow poop composted or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, recommendations, aerate, aeration

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.