After Market Blind Spot Indicators

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Default After Market Blind Spot Indicators

We are looking into the purchase of a used convertible. Many of the models and years that we are interested in do not have blind spot indicators. Searching the web we found that there are after market systems available.

However, installation instructions recommend that it be done by a professional. Has anyone had them installed and if so would you recommend where you had them installed?

Thank you!
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Have drivers really become so dependent on a blind spot indicator [that is not fool proof] that they now need to have a car retro-fitted with them? Do they really not remember how they used to check before executing a lane change before those indicators? Blinkers always used to help me along with my rear view mirrors!

Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Have drivers really become so dependent on a blind spot indicator [that is not fool proof] that they now need to have a car retro-fitted with them? Do they really not remember how they used to check before executing a lane change before those indicators? Blinkers always used to help me along with my rear view mirrors!
Hello, there my Very Favorite Bum.

Our last purchase turned out to be a Car instead of an SUV. We had been buying SUV'S as our Primary Vehicle for a Long Long Time. All Fords. I am thrilled that our car has this Drivers Assistant which is what it is because you don't have the great view that you have become accustomed to in an SUV.

I promise you that no matter how much you look and I do just that there are things that are not crystally clearly apparent to the rear of the car. The rearview camera is also a little deceptive and the tinted windows which are necessary don't help when backing out of the driveway or trying to avoid all perils backing out of a spot at Publix.

Sounds like a specialty installation to get the aftermarket system the OP is asking about installed correctly. The manufacturer of the device should be able to guide you.

Even though the plan was to buy and keep this car forever I will have to re-evaluate in about another two years and one of the reasons it may have to go is the vision to the rear.

njbchbum, you are still my favorite bum.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
We are looking into the purchase of a used convertible. Many of the models and years that we are interested in do not have blind spot indicators. Searching the web we found that there are after market systems available.

However, installation instructions recommend that it be done by a professional. Has anyone had them installed and if so would you recommend where you had them installed?

Thank you!
RalpM, I would love to help you with this, but I have enough automotive experience to be very concerned with anything other than a professional installation. I would contact the supplier to see if they have a list of local installers, my concern would be liability if there was an accident and the after market device did not work.....
Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Have you looked at all the different options available on Amazon.com? Some are just special mirrors that would be very easy to install, and others are very complicated. I was surprised to see that so many companies are willing to sell an after market safety device like this. It really looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Hello, there my Very Favorite Bum.

Our last purchase turned out to be a Car instead of an SUV. We had been buying SUV'S as our Primary Vehicle for a Long Long Time. All Fords. I am thrilled that our car has this Drivers Assistant which is what it is because you don't have the great view that you have become accustomed to in an SUV.

I promise you that no matter how much you look and I do just that there are things that are not crystally clearly apparent to the rear of the car. The rearview camera is also a little deceptive and the tinted windows which are necessary don't help when backing out of the driveway or trying to avoid all perils backing out of a spot at Publix.

Sounds like a specialty installation to get the aftermarket system the OP is asking about installed correctly. The manufacturer of the device should be able to guide you.

Even though the plan was to buy and keep this car forever I will have to re-evaluate in about another two years and one of the reasons it may have to go is the vision to the rear.

njbchbum, you are still my favorite bum.
Thanks, Nucky! My new Ford SUV has so many assistance options I will never use them all! lol

Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Nucky! My new Ford SUV has so many assistance options I will never use them all! lol
I'm going to get a decked out Flex if they are still around and we can still get into something that high in 2 more years! Love anyone of them there Fords In Red! Ah, Heaven! I'd do it tomorrow but I'd get killed on the trade-in.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Blind spot dectectors

Quote:
They may not be fool proof but they sure do help. Most drivers don’t know how to adjust their side view mirrors so that they don’t have a blind spot. A lot of drivers adjust their mirrors so that they see the rear side of the car. That creates a blind spot. If you are passing a car and you can see the driver in their side view mirror then be careful because you will be in their blind spot.

Tags
installed, recommend, spot, blind, market

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.