air conditioner won't turn on

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2020, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I am fairly confident that this is a bad capacitor. It is a 16.00 part which you will be charged 300.00 for installed.
I agree, they should go outside & see if they hear a humming noise coming from the unit outside. Our house got hot too & I had several people tell me that the Capacitor went bad so I bought a new capacitor for $20. (in 2018) & did it myself in 10mins. The company that install the unit said it would cost $280. It was very simple to do as long as you discharge the capacitor first, then it was very simple. Install then turn the circuit breaker back on. Cool Air!
Old 09-27-2020, 11:56 AM

For every one that posted info on a capacitor, when it goes bad the fan may or may not run. The same with compressor, it may or may not run.

The capacitor in most all of the ac’s here in the villages are dual capacitors that work with both the fan and compressor. Depending on what section of the capacitor failed would determine if the fan, compressor, or both would not run.
The humming is the motor or compressor trying to run and going off on internal safety. When it cools down it will try again.
Your welcome from Good Guys Air, resident of the village of LaBelle.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:08 PM

Be careful if you change the capacitor, even an old capacitor can give you a good shock. Also, if the inside fan does not comes on, then the starting capacitor is not the problem.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:17 PM

Most likely the capacitor which if it is is an inexpensive repair. Try Sun Kool they are local and installed your equipment when the house was built we’ve used them for the 3 years we’ve owned our home and always good service and consistent. 352-622-1067.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmika View Post
does anybody have a good repair person for air conditioners.
ours won't turn on and it is saturday. yes we changed the batteries on the thermostat
Old 09-27-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmika View Post
does anybody have a good repair person for air conditioners.
ours won't turn on and it is saturday. yes we changed the batteries on the thermostat
If you have not had it fixed yet, I have used DeSantis Appliance & A/C Service before (ask for Storm-yes that's his name). Note: the battery in your thermostat does not run the system, it only remembers your program/set temps, etc. during power outages. Some of the more common problems I have encountered are: (1) Condensate drain clogged (safety switch will not allow unit to start), (2) breaker tripped (may indicate another issue), (3) bad capacitor on fan motor (cheap fix), (4) bad capacitor on compressor motor (more costly) other than more serious problems like bad compressor or leak in the refrigerant line.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Whatever you do, avoid Sun Kool.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Probably off-topic, but Rapscallion, I laughed out loud when I saw your tag line. :-)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you are correct about the fan.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I do this monthly with a gallon of hot water followed by a cup of vinegar. After about 7 years pipe was partly clogged and system still working. Used my hose to flush out. Your suggestion of using the hose every few months is a good one. I have an opening for the hose on the side of the heater. Do not use the same input as you do for the vinegar.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labanz View Post
For every one that posted info on a capacitor, when it goes bad the fan may or may not run. The same with compressor, it may or may not run.

The capacitor in most all of the ac’s here in the villages are dual capacitors that work with both the fan and compressor. Depending on what section of the capacitor failed would determine if the fan, compressor, or both would not run.
The humming is the motor or compressor trying to run and going off on internal safety. When it cools down it will try again.
Your welcome from Good Guys Air, resident of the village of LaBelle.
I hear what your saying but if fan won’t run, it’s the high voltage side of the capacitor, then when the voltage surges then the low voltage will kick in & keep the air conditioner running. Yes, some have 2 capacitors but I bet you 85 to 90% of the homes have only 1 capacitor in their air conditioner. I would still bet it’s the capacitor that’s bad. For 20 or $30. I would change the capacitor. Surely there’s someone that can pull 3 or 4 wires off the capacitor & discharge it & put new one in. Maybe you’re right about dual capacitors but I know 4 people that changed their bad capacitor & all 4 had 1 capacitor. Then again maybe I just got lucky & talked to the ones that had only one.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, turn, batteries, changed, saturday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.