All these new roofs

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Default All these new roofs

Just read the ad from the Villages Insurance that says that their rates are going up substantially because of all of these new roof claims. One street in our neighborhood has 1/2 of the homes with signs that say “approved”. Usually you get dropped from the company if you file a claim. Is this happening? Or am I just going to have to pay for everyone’s claim?
Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Gold member

IMHO, your first mistake is using the Villages Insurance. American Integrity is trying to deny all roof claims right now and that has driven many of us to Public Claims Adjusters to step in on our behalf. All roofs north of 466 will need to be replaced in the next 2 to 4 years, they will all be over 20 years old. If the roof is nor replaced, the homeowner will not be able to renew or get new insurance.

The wind storm n February seems to have left quite a bit of damage as inspectors are finding. Thus, everybody is filing claims to have their roofs replaced for just their deductible.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

it's always wise to shop insurance policies around every couple of years

we switched to Triple A a couple of years ago and saved a bundle on combined home/auto
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Gold member

After American Integrity raised our premiums 3 years in a row, I thought enough was enough, and shopped around and went with Progressive/ASI, first year's savings over $300. Just renewed with a modest increase of $39.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Location: Detroit, Mi. Greenville, Mi. Royal Oak, Mi, The Villages

I am going through this same routine. My rate with American Integrity went up 45%. Also they are not writing new policies in our area. ASI progressive is also not writing new policies in our zip codes. I don't understand how you can get an entire new roof for just the deductible. Should there not be some kind of prorating for the age of the roof?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornhome View Post
Just read the ad from the Villages Insurance that says that their rates are going up substantially because of all of these new roof claims. One street in our neighborhood has 1/2 of the homes with signs that say “approved”. Usually you get dropped from the company if you file a claim. Is this happening? Or am I just going to have to pay for everyone’s claim?
You have summed up what insurance is - a group of people putting money into a pot to cover the costs of one or more of you claiming for a loss. Whether this is done through a third party (an insurance company) or informally amongst yourselves, anyone who does not make a claim ends up paying for those who do.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for the insurance companies. They make out like bandits when times are good, and squeal like stuck pigs (and raise premiums) when times are not. There is a way that they can reduce their risk (reinsurance, whereby they lay off a percentage of their claims with other insurance companies) if they think they are too exposed in a certain area, but that means handing over some of the premium income which they don't like to do.

The fact that a number of roofs in your area are being replaced at the same time is no great surprise either. If the roofs are basically the same in terms of age and construction, since they have all been exposed to the same strong winds they are likely to be affected similarly.

As others here have said, the best thing is to get quotes each year from reliable companies each year and get the best deal for the coverage that you want.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:50 PM

If you have 3 Tab shingles, the roof is replaced because of a code change requiring a higher wind rating.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Insurance claims for roofs
Old 05-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What am I missing. Replacing a 20 year old roof sounds like normal maintenance and not an insurance claim?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM

There were some problems with some of the roofs that had been installed by companies that were hired to do the roofs on new construction. Same with some of the structures that have siding. Also some that have stucco. In the section between 466 and 466a, there were a number of roofs that had to be replaced due to faulty shingles. You could be in a house with shingles that have to be replaced after 15 years, and right next door is my place where the shingles are good for 25 years. Really is a "crap shoot".
And then there was a F3 tornado that went through on February 2nd, 2006...…. You would not believe the damage that did!!!
Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
We all will be paying.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Has anyone thought about the possibility of installing a metal roof? It has to have a longer life than conventional shingles. Just a thought.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Here's what I learned from my insurance agent about roof claims. I was told there is a difference between a claim that is "agreed to be valid" by your insurance agent (i.e., true storm damage) as compared to one that the insurer simply "acquiesces to the claim" (i.e., not true storm damage, but simply normal wear and tear on the roofs) because they do not want to fight a fraudulent case in court. Fighting in court costs the insurer ~$50K on average versus paying a $10K-$20K claim.

In the case of the latter, if the insurer inspected the roof, and did not find sufficient damage to qualify as storm damage as opposed to normal wear, your file is labelled as having submitted a fraudulent claim. This information is shared with other insurance companies which could result in much higher premiums for the homeowner or their inability to obtain insurance with a storm damage rider. Either way, you and your neighbors will pay higher premiums.

A friend of ours just purchased a home in TVs. The Villages Insurance was reluctant to provide a storm damage rider because the roof was >10 years old. They wound up paying over $1900 for full coverage with USAA.

Some insurers have already revised their policies to prorate storm damage, with a steep reduction in storm damage coverage once the roof is older than 10 years. The others will no doubt follow their lead.

Most insurers in Sumter County have or soon will raise their rates significantly if you have an older roof.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 AM

Beware of the door-to-door roofing sales people. They shouldn’t be going door to door anyway there’s no soliciting in the villages. I saw one company on my neighbors roof across the street bending up the shingles trying to create more than 20% damage. Insurance company was called and possible fraud charges are pending.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
IMHO, your first mistake is using the Villages Insurance. American Integrity is trying to deny all roof claims right now and that has driven many of us to Public Claims Adjusters to step in on our behalf. All roofs north of 466 will need to be replaced in the next 2 to 4 years, they will all be over 20 years old. If the roof is nor replaced, the homeowner will not be able to renew or get new insurance.

The wind storm n February seems to have left quite a bit of damage as inspectors are finding. Thus, everybody is filing claims to have their roofs replaced for just their deductible.
We use Villages Insurance and have Progressive for home and auto.
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, “approved”, dropped, company, file

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.