All these new roofs

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Here's what I learned from my insurance agent about roof claims. I was told there is a difference between a claim that is "agreed to be valid" by your insurance agent (i.e., true storm damage) as compared to one that the insurer simply "acquiesces to the claim" (i.e., not true storm damage, but simply normal wear and tear on the roofs) because they do not want to fight a fraudulent case in court. Fighting in court costs the insurer ~$50K on average versus paying a $10K-$20K claim.

In the case of the latter, if the insurer inspected the roof, and did not find sufficient damage to qualify as storm damage as opposed to normal wear, your file is labelled as having submitted a fraudulent claim. This information is shared with other insurance companies which could result in much higher premiums for the homeowner or their inability to obtain insurance with a storm damage rider. Either way, you and your neighbors will pay higher premiums.

A friend of ours just purchased a home in TVs. The Villages Insurance was reluctant to provide a storm damage rider because the roof was >10 years old. They wound up paying over $1900 for full coverage with USAA.

Some insurers have already revised their policies to prorate storm damage, with a steep reduction in storm damage coverage once the roof is older than 10 years. The others will no doubt follow their lead.

Most insurers in Sumter County have or soon will raise their rates significantly if you have an older roof.
I don't think that what your insurance agent told you is correct. It would not make sense for an insurance company to pay $10-$20K for a fraudulent claim. That would just encourage more fraudulent claims. Insurance companies have more money and better lawyers than any roofing company. An insurance agent is basically a salesperson, who doesn't approve claims anyway. I think your agent is misinformed about how claims are approved.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 AM

You do not get dropped from your insurance. The Villages Insurance is a representative of various insurance companies. If your rate goes up you can ask them to shop around for a cheaper rate for you. After my roof was put on my cost went down 100.00 from my insurance company. Many insurance companies will not insure a home with a roof over 20 years old or the rate may be higher. If you truly had damage then you only pay your deductible. My rate will probably go up but never to the cost of a new roof that I would have to put on if not damaged and only age related.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
Beware of the door-to-door roofing sales people. They shouldn’t be going door to door anyway there’s no soliciting in the villages. I saw one company on my neighbors roof across the street bending up the shingles trying to create more than 20% damage. Insurance company was called and possible fraud charges are pending.
It should not be possible to bend up the shingles. The bottom edge of shingles have a coating that cements the shingle to the one below. If the shingle can be bent up it is already damaged.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

You may have noticed that the signs in front of the homes getting a new roof are from the same company. They sent teams of door-to-door salesmen to the area and solicited new business by telling homeowners that the insurance company will pay for everything except the deductible. Wow! A new roof for $500? Sign me up! Most of these signs have been up for 10 days and have not been approved by the insurance company
Old 05-18-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948JDG View Post
Has anyone thought about the possibility of installing a metal roof? It has to have a longer life than conventional shingles. Just a thought.
Good Luck on getting ARC approval on that ...
Old 05-18-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornhome View Post
Just read the ad from the Villages Insurance that says that their rates are going up substantially because of all of these new roof claims. One street in our neighborhood has 1/2 of the homes with signs that say “approved”. Usually you get dropped from the company if you file a claim. Is this happening? Or am I just going to have to pay for everyone’s claim?
I believe we are being punished
by home owner's insurance companies because of the 18-20 year old roofs being replaced at their expense. I blame the insurance company inspectors for approving "storm damage" on 20 year old roofs. That is a wear and tear situation and you would expect to replace a roof of that age. My neighbors are paying for their roofs because they are 18 years old. We, collectively, are going to end up paying for the "free" roofs!
Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM

Roofers are just educating homeowners on the wind damage Clause of their homeowners insurance. My roof is 21 years old, roofer inspected and found no wind damage. So no claim.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:31 AM

They dropped us after one claim.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

The other day, a woman was going door to door saying she was from Apex roofing and soliciting for new roofing. My roof isn't even three years old, and most all of the roofs on my street have been done in the past two to three years. My wife told her that there is no soliciting in The Villages. The woman must have been blind or just stupid.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:58 AM

There are some metal roofs located in the cottages of Lake Sumter
Old 05-18-2020, 09:02 AM

Actually the last I heard from my insurance provider was no insurance company in Florida will issue a policy on a roof older than 15 years. He is an agent that insures high risk property and he has no product that will do this. If you want to sell your home in The Villages or anywhere else in Florida if the roof is more than 15 years old you will have to replace the roof or reduce the price. I will say with a new roof his rate was way better than $1900 dollars. Not sure what size home was insured but my home is an Iris and my insurance was under $1000 excluding flood.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:17 AM

Go online or to the library to read Consumer Reports ratings of home insurance (or any insurance - or product for that matter). I used their recommendations.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:21 AM

Do you, by chance, live in Woodbury?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948JDG View Post
Has anyone thought about the possibility of installing a metal roof? It has to have a longer life than conventional shingles. Just a thought.
Metal roofs are a great idea, but they open up a can of worms as far as deed compliance. There was a thread discussing this earlier this year.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
If you have 3 Tab shingles, the roof is replaced because of a code change requiring a higher wind rating.
Not exactly correct. Your roof will not be replaced simply because the code has changed. There has to be damage to the roof first. Policies typically have 'code upgrade' coverage. If there is damage and it necessitates replacement, insurance will pay for that plus any additional cost it takes to repair in order to meet the new code requirements. Just not meeting the new code does not trigger insurance coverage.
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, “approved”, dropped, company, file

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.