All these new roofs

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 AM

"The fact that a number of roofs in your area are being replaced at the same time is no great surprise either. If the roofs are basically the same in terms of age and construction, since they have all been exposed to the same strong winds they are likely to be affected similarly."
We first moved here eleven years ago, at that time the roofs were all needing to be replaced. They did it for free, but aparently they use a very cheap version of tiles. I really think this is awful since they knew it was happening, or was going to happen to so many people.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948JDG View Post
Has anyone thought about the possibility of installing a metal roof? It has to have a longer life than conventional shingles. Just a thought.
Not allowed by The Villages nor is a tile roof.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janechristie View Post
There are some metal roofs located in the cottages of Lake Sumter
They were built as places for Lifestyle visitors to stay. Musicians, and visiting dignitaries stayed in them too. The Villages won't approve a metal roof or a tile roof.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 AM

Question. When you changed did that include a sink hole rider? I would love to save $300/year
Old 05-18-2020, 10:11 AM

I need some advice. My home is 15 years old. I called a roofer that has been highly recommended on this site as being honest. He told me he couldn't inspect my roof or my insurance company (US Coastal, Cabrillo thru The Villages Insurance) would say he damaged the roof and wouldnt cover any damage. He then told me if I called Cabrillo to inspect it they would deny and then cancel my insurance since it's 15 years old. He also said if i tried to change insurance companies they would not cover until I replaced my roof. With hurricane season approaching I would like to know that my roof is in good shape. Many houses on my street had damage from the storm and have had their roof replaced. I don't want to claim something if it's not true, but i also would like to have it replaced or fixed if it was damaged in the storm. If it wasn't damaged by storm but needs to be replaced due to age I am more than willing to do so. But how do I find out? Does anybody have any ideas what I should do?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Are you from NY? My house was built in 2006. I have had three leaks. With one i had to replace part of my interior bedroom wall tdue to waste. Another leake caused so much water damage that i had to replace a supporting beam. It was the "insurance company adjuster" that inspected my roof and told me that they have to replace my entire roof. WHERE IS THE SCAM?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
IMHO, your first mistake is using the Villages Insurance. American Integrity is trying to deny all roof claims right now and that has driven many of us to Public Claims Adjusters to step in on our behalf. All roofs north of 466 will need to be replaced in the next 2 to 4 years, they will all be over 20 years old. If the roof is nor replaced, the homeowner will not be able to renew or get new insurance.

The wind storm n February seems to have left quite a bit of damage as inspectors are finding. Thus, everybody is filing claims to have their roofs replaced for just their deductible.
We went through The Villages insurance but must have been hooked up with a better company tan you. The Villages Insurance is a Broker for several companies.
We were hooked up with Florida Family Insurance. No problem getting our “wind damaged” roof replaced.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:19 AM

It's not an insurance claim if your roof has lasted it intended life cycle. If it hasn' treached that level the USUALLY there is a prorated replacement dollars, IF the roof needs replacement because of some type of damge from outside sources, wind or hail as an example.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:26 AM

Construction in mid 2015 through at least 2016 and perhaps into 2017 may have a valley underlayment issue of faulty product manufactured by TAMKO of Joplin, MO. This results in the breakdown of the asphalt underlayment with resultant leakage of asphalt on the shingles and in many cases down the gutter drains and onto the driveway, with heavy staining. The underlayment is a secondary protection from ice and water that is in the building code. You can find out who did your roof via Villages Warranty and then ask the roofer to verify that your roof did/did not use TAMKO underlayment. If they did, your claim is against TAMKO, not your home owners insurance or Villages. Roofers are swamped with requests so anticipate delays but be persistent. Some roofers are trying to get $150 inspection fee, even if they installed your roof. That is obviously unethical and you would then work with Villages Warranty to contact your original roofer for a no fee inspection. Your roofer typically will provide a copy of the original purchase order for the roof that will prove TAMKO or not, potentially useful if you plan resale in the future. Villages or your roofer will also give you TAMKO contact information for a claim kit should you have their product.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Yes, the Ins. companies are going to get us one way or another. They must own Quaker State Refinery too because their motto is, “Pay me now or pay me latter”. Ins. companies must all be owned by lawyers.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:22 AM

If your a Veteran try USAA
Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM

There is a standing seam metal roof on a home in Chatham Village. I know there was a problem because of that installation but I have no knowledge of how it was finally approved.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice1877 View Post
I need some advice. My home is 15 years old. I called a roofer that has been highly recommended on this site as being honest. He told me he couldn't inspect my roof or my insurance company (US Coastal, Cabrillo thru The Villages Insurance) would say he damaged the roof and wouldnt cover any damage. He then told me if I called Cabrillo to inspect it they would deny and then cancel my insurance since it's 15 years old. He also said if i tried to change insurance companies they would not cover until I replaced my roof. With hurricane season approaching I would like to know that my roof is in good shape. Many houses on my street had damage from the storm and have had their roof replaced. I don't want to claim something if it's not true, but i also would like to have it replaced or fixed if it was damaged in the storm. If it wasn't damaged by storm but needs to be replaced due to age I am more than willing to do so. But how do I find out? Does anybody have any ideas what I should do?
I would call the insurance company and ask them to determine if you have a valid claim for weather damage. They will send out an adjuster and either pay a claim or not. Then, you can get your roof replaced. But, I would not use the roofer you talked to because I think he gave you bad advice. The insurance company already knows how old your roof is, and they are not going to cancel your policy just for calling them. And, the roofer could have inspected the roof without walking on it by using a ladder, binoculars, and a camera. Also, you should get a reduction in your insurance rate when you get a new roof.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 PM

I'm curious!
I grew up in the US Virgin Islands.
It's a tropical climate similar to FL.
No one has shingles roofs.
Majority are wood roofs which are covered with a paint membrane roof coating. Unless destroyed by a hurricane, these roofs last forever.
The home I own there has a roof that survived both Cat 5 Hurricanes, Irma and Maria in September 2017.
That roof is 57 years old, in excellent condition, never had any leaks.
I pressure wash it every couple of years to keep it clean and reseal and recoat it every 5 - 6 years.
So what's the deal with the shingle roofs being so popular in this climate?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana33 View Post
I'm curious!
I grew up in the US Virgin Islands.
It's a tropical climate similar to FL.
No one has shingles roofs.
Majority are wood roofs which are covered with a paint membrane roof coating. Unless destroyed by a hurricane, these roofs last forever.
The home I own there has a roof that survived both Cat 5 Hurricanes, Irma and Maria in September 2017.
That roof is 57 years old, in excellent condition, never had any leaks.
I pressure wash it every couple of years to keep it clean and reseal and recoat it every 5 - 6 years.
So what's the deal with the shingle roofs being so popular in this climate?
A membrane roof is fine, but it is ugly. They use shingles because of the appearance.
Closed Thread

Tags
claim, “approved”, dropped, company, file

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.