Another thread for advice on lawn care.

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We have been here 1 1/2 years now and are on our 3rd or 4th lawn care company. (one took the job and then never showed up)

It seems they all want to charge a bundle and then spend as little time as possible actually doing any work. And with the constant turnover of employees by the larger firms, any "special instructions" get lost in the turmoil.

For example, we have a couple of large dogs (Great Pyrenese and Labrador Retriever). We have a CYV and put a sign on the gate to NOT open the gate until knocking to let us know they are there so we can lock the dogs inside since we let our dogs run in the back yard. We also give the lawn care specific instructions to do this, so the dogs do not get out and run loose. This usually works until the first time a new hire comes, and they walk into the backyard, and the dogs dash out.

The second problem we have had is these larger companies using riding mowers with people that don't know how to use them. Some of our grass (and the grass of several of our neighbors) was killed by a new employee of Massey scalping our yard down to the sand last year - it still has not fully recovered. They came out and looked and basically said, sorry, we will try to do better. I said, no thank go practice on someone else's lawn.

Now, we are paying a significant premium to our current lawn care company. We chose them and agreed to the premium because we thought if we paid enough we would get good service. So much for that theory.

We pay, as part of the contract, to have the weeds in the hardscape controlled. So far they have not controlled them and now with the spring, you can almost not see the rocks because of all the weeds. The "owner" of the company came out and didn't even apologize, he just said, it must have fallen through the cracks because we started after the weeds were treated in this area - 2 months ago. He said they would be back in our area in a few weeks and take care of it.

Seriously! We are paying this company easily 50% more than any other service we have had and he says they will take care of the weeds in a few weeks.

I am sick and tired of this.

Can anyone provide the name and number of a GOOD RELIABLE individual that does lawn care. Someone that does the work, and doesn't send out a teen that was flipping burgers last week. Someone that takes pride in their work.

Our requirements are pretty simple.

1. Mow the yard when it needs it - we have very LITTLE grass, most of the front is rock.
2. Trim the plants and trees when they need it.
3. Pull the weeds in the rocks, poison the weeds in the grass.
4. inspect and adjust the irrigation as required.
5. Fertilize as required.

That is it, I don't want to have to CALL them to tell them there are weeds, I want them to actually look at our yard, and take care of it.

Sorry, for the rant, I am very frustrated. I paid less to have acres mowed before moving here, and we have not gone with the low price spread here.

As my wife says, all we want is to look at our yead when we get home and think, "'that looks nice". It seems to be too much to ask.
You and everyone else ! In 2 years 5 people ! It’s Florida and won’t get better do it yourself. Me I’m selling
Old 06-11-2021, 06:58 AM

Buy a lawn mower and do it yourself. To be honest Your list of a few requirements is over the top. These guys get paid on average 55 bucks a month, they don’t need your headache. I’m not trying to be nasty, it’s just the truth. There all the same. I spent 600 bucks on a mower, blower and edger and couldn’t be happier.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:04 AM

Go through your neighborhood and look for the best looking yards.
Then knock on the door and ask who they use, after complimenting their yard of course.
See how many of the nice yards use the same person.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:04 AM

You may start out with beautiful lawn but the lawn care people also mow the lawns of people who have lots of weed seeds, therefore the mowers transfer the weed seeds onto your yard. The only way to maintain your beautiful lawn is to mow it yourself. My opinion.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:07 AM

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Avoid TruGreen at all costs. Had them for 9 months and twice they put an invoice in my door without doing any service.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Lawn care

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We have been here 1 1/2 years now and are on our 3rd or 4th lawn care company. (one took the job and then never showed up)

It seems they all want to charge a bundle and then spend as little time as possible actually doing any work. And with the constant turnover of employees by the larger firms, any "special instructions" get lost in the turmoil.

For example, we have a couple of large dogs (Great Pyrenese and Labrador Retriever). We have a CYV and put a sign on the gate to NOT open the gate until knocking to let us know they are there so we can lock the dogs inside since we let our dogs run in the back yard. We also give the lawn care specific instructions to do this, so the dogs do not get out and run loose. This usually works until the first time a new hire comes, and they walk into the backyard, and the dogs dash out.

The second problem we have had is these larger companies using riding mowers with people that don't know how to use them. Some of our grass (and the grass of several of our neighbors) was killed by a new employee of Massey scalping our yard down to the sand last year - it still has not fully recovered. They came out and looked and basically said, sorry, we will try to do better. I said, no thank go practice on someone else's lawn.

Now, we are paying a significant premium to our current lawn care company. We chose them and agreed to the premium because we thought if we paid enough we would get good service. So much for that theory.

We pay, as part of the contract, to have the weeds in the hardscape controlled. So far they have not controlled them and now with the spring, you can almost not see the rocks because of all the weeds. The "owner" of the company came out and didn't even apologize, he just said, it must have fallen through the cracks because we started after the weeds were treated in this area - 2 months ago. He said they would be back in our area in a few weeks and take care of it.

Seriously! We are paying this company easily 50% more than any other service we have had and he says they will take care of the weeds in a few weeks.

I am sick and tired of this.

Can anyone provide the name and number of a GOOD RELIABLE individual that does lawn care. Someone that does the work, and doesn't send out a teen that was flipping burgers last week. Someone that takes pride in their work.

Our requirements are pretty simple.

1. Mow the yard when it needs it - we have very LITTLE grass, most of the front is rock.
2. Trim the plants and trees when they need it.
3. Pull the weeds in the rocks, poison the weeds in the grass.
4. inspect and adjust the irrigation as required.
5. Fertilize as required.

That is it, I don't want to have to CALL them to tell them there are weeds, I want them to actually look at our yard, and take care of it.

Sorry, for the rant, I am very frustrated. I paid less to have acres mowed before moving here, and we have not gone with the low price spread here.

As my wife says, all we want is to look at our yead when we get home and think, "'that looks nice". It seems to be too much to ask.
Try to find a newer business that the owner is still doing the work himself. He or she will have more pride in there work. Also TV does final grading with clay that has very few nutrients for your lawn and allows most of the water to run off into their retention ponds for irrigation of their properties. Sooooo you need lots of water and fertilizer also regular applications of bug and grub killer to prevent losing your lawn to chinch bugs and mole crickets. Good luck
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 AM

Lawn care service is one of the biggest wastes of money in The Villages- we mowed 3 times from early Feb until June 1-could hardly see tracks of where the mower had been - and fertilized once. We will fertilize once in the fall with a spreader that cost under $40. Our lawn looks great - we can easily afford to pay for it to be done but WHY when many weeks go by when the lawn needs NOTHING ! Buy yourself an electric mower and edger and it will take less than an hour of your time only WHEN it needs to be done. These tools will easily pay for themselves very quickly compared to the cost of hiring services. We hired a neighbor to mow this summer while we are away and that is it !!!! More retired people should be careful how they spend their money as many will outlive their funds...use what you saved from lawn service toward a trip or something else worthwhile !
Old 06-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Lots of good advice, thank you, everyone.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Do a search for a small privately owned company on this and the Nextdoor forums. And lock or somehow secure your gate from the inside. A no brainer.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
The best lawn guy is you , very little work chemicals to treat disease and bugs not really costly ,a small hand held spreader and the schedule to apply .Hire a good mower and they usually will do your trimming as needed . A gallon of Roundup for those pesky pop up weeds in the rocks and your lawn will look great. That is route I took after 4 lawn companies and 7 years with Massey .
I care for my own lawn after firing the "lawn care" company that was destroying it. Now it's the best looking in the neighborhood. Thankfully, I'm healthy enough to tackle it and actually enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:28 AM

I have a nice couple who mows my lawn on my .50 acre property. If I need branches trimmed, trees cut back or beds weeded, I let them know what I want done and they do it. I've also had them pressure wash the exterior of house annually, clean out gutters, pressure wash fence, driveway, walkway, etc.
I don't mow my lawn weekly. It hasn't needed it since its been so dry. I just call them when needed, they come, do what needs doing and I pay them the day of service. Been using their services for about 4 years.
Very happy them.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM

We decided to landscape using xeriscaping. My front and back yard are a combination of river rock stones with a nice variety of very low maintenance plants. The landscaper recommended we use Preen and occasionally I use weed killer in spray form. I also dislike spending a lot of time on my yard. I tried to get lawn service, but they didn’t show up. So, this is the route we went. I test my own sprinkler heads and change them out myself and my yard rarely has weeds.

In a CYV, you can use a robotic lawn mower. It will give your dogs something to chase. Could be fun.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 AM
Location: Brooklyn O; NYC; Cambridge, Ma; London, UK; Martha's Vineyard Is.; Newburyport, Ma; The Villages
Default Landscaping wild west

I eagerly read through the posts on this topic, hoping I'd add to my list of reliable inexpensive lawn care operators. Of course, the answer was mostly 'do it yourself'. Our property is under property management, but we as owners are responsible for hiring landscape care. I discovered in the first year it's because it is so difficult to find and keep anyone who will do weeding, mowing and trimming. They all like to do 'mow-blow-and go'. Even harder when we owners are out of state, paying monthly and relying on the complaints of the tenant or eyes of the neighbors for input.
My father-in-law used to say "find a need and fill it" to start a successful business. The Villages needs someone who will organize, recommend and oversee landscaping services. It would be worth it. Right now it's the wild west.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:17 AM
Default lawn care

After trying various companies, and our lawn looking brown from being cut too short and chemical burned I decided to do it myself. I bought a self propelled battery operated. My home is on a middle lot. The self propelled battery mowers are the easiest thing I have ever used to cut grass. I am a woman and I can easily mow my lawn in 20 - 25 minutes. My lawn is very green and pretty because I don't put the deck down too low. With every company I had I asked them not to cut it low but they always did. The lawn companies don't want to take the time to adjust the lawn mower deck. They also don't spray their decks between lawns and spread disease. I also bought a spreader on next door and apply Scotts weed and feed for southern lawns in the spring and fall. Scotts website has a link to a recommended lawn program.
Closed Thread

Tags
care, weeds, lawn, dogs, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.