Another thread for advice on lawn care.

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2021, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We have been here 1 1/2 years now and are on our 3rd or 4th lawn care company. (one took the job and then never showed up)

It seems they all want to charge a bundle and then spend as little time as possible actually doing any work. And with the constant turnover of employees by the larger firms, any "special instructions" get lost in the turmoil.

For example, we have a couple of large dogs (Great Pyrenese and Labrador Retriever). We have a CYV and put a sign on the gate to NOT open the gate until knocking to let us know they are there so we can lock the dogs inside since we let our dogs run in the back yard. We also give the lawn care specific instructions to do this, so the dogs do not get out and run loose. This usually works until the first time a new hire comes, and they walk into the backyard, and the dogs dash out.

The second problem we have had is these larger companies using riding mowers with people that don't know how to use them. Some of our grass (and the grass of several of our neighbors) was killed by a new employee of Massey scalping our yard down to the sand last year - it still has not fully recovered. They came out and looked and basically said, sorry, we will try to do better. I said, no thank go practice on someone else's lawn.

Now, we are paying a significant premium to our current lawn care company. We chose them and agreed to the premium because we thought if we paid enough we would get good service. So much for that theory.

We pay, as part of the contract, to have the weeds in the hardscape controlled. So far they have not controlled them and now with the spring, you can almost not see the rocks because of all the weeds. The "owner" of the company came out and didn't even apologize, he just said, it must have fallen through the cracks because we started after the weeds were treated in this area - 2 months ago. He said they would be back in our area in a few weeks and take care of it.

Seriously! We are paying this company easily 50% more than any other service we have had and he says they will take care of the weeds in a few weeks.

I am sick and tired of this.

Can anyone provide the name and number of a GOOD RELIABLE individual that does lawn care. Someone that does the work, and doesn't send out a teen that was flipping burgers last week. Someone that takes pride in their work.

Our requirements are pretty simple.

1. Mow the yard when it needs it - we have very LITTLE grass, most of the front is rock.
2. Trim the plants and trees when they need it.
3. Pull the weeds in the rocks, poison the weeds in the grass.
4. inspect and adjust the irrigation as required.
5. Fertilize as required.

That is it, I don't want to have to CALL them to tell them there are weeds, I want them to actually look at our yard, and take care of it.

Sorry, for the rant, I am very frustrated. I paid less to have acres mowed before moving here, and we have not gone with the low price spread here.

As my wife says, all we want is to look at our yead when we get home and think, "'that looks nice". It seems to be too much to ask.
For what it is worth, I deal with what what should be does not exist.

I apply my own chemistry. I do my own weeding and I cut my hedges.

Far as mowing and your dogs another simple solution the person mowing comes every ??????? you can keep your dogs in on those days.

Lawn mowing people. As a kid I set up and ran a small mowing business. At my peak I had like 14 lawns per week. These people do far more than that. Frankly it was in New York far cooler than here. Dealing with people? There were people that I told them I just didn't need or want their business.

You/we have the option to do it ourselves.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:23 AM

We have Dean's. They use the riding mowers and cut too short and say they can't change the length. Also, most recently destroyed three of our plants and claimed they didn't do it. Of course it was right after they left, but still denied it.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
For what it is worth, I deal with what what should be does not exist.

I apply my own chemistry. I do my own weeding and I cut my hedges.

Far as mowing and your dogs another simple solution the person mowing comes every ??????? you can keep your dogs in on those days.

Lawn mowing people. As a kid I set up and ran a small mowing business. At my peak I had like 14 lawns per week. These people do far more than that. Frankly it was in New York far cooler than here. Dealing with people? There were people that I told them I just didn't need or want their business.

You/we have the option to do it ourselves.
I have maintained my yard my entire life, I don't want to do it now. That is my point. I know I can, but I don't want to.

My issue is I describe exactly what I want when I hire a service, they agree to do it, then don't. So I fire them and move on to another.

So, I am asking here for people's experience and if anyone knows of someone that does good work and what they promise to do. I have NO problem paying a premium to get premium service. But at the moment I am paying about 3 times what anyone else changes and getting nothing more than everyone else does. So, I am firing this one and looking again.

And yes, I could keep the dogs in for 12 hours, since they don't always come at the same time. I don't consider it to be too much to have them simply knock on my door when they start to work on my yard. I even put a sign on the gate - apparently, some of the workers can't read. Again, I am willing to pay a premium to have them simply knock on my door when they start. But that is too much to ask.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Default Lets make better ecological choices for lawns!

Quote:
We have been here 1 1/2 years now and are on our 3rd or 4th lawn care company. (one took the job and then never showed up)

It seems they all want to charge a bundle and then spend as little time as possible actually doing any work. And with the constant turnover of employees by the larger firms, any "special instructions" get lost in the turmoil.

For example, we have a couple of large dogs (Great Pyrenese and Labrador Retriever). We have a CYV and put a sign on the gate to NOT open the gate until knocking to let us know they are there so we can lock the dogs inside since we let our dogs run in the back yard. We also give the lawn care specific instructions to do this, so the dogs do not get out and run loose. This usually works until the first time a new hire comes, and they walk into the backyard, and the dogs dash out.

The second problem we have had is these larger companies using riding mowers with people that don't know how to use them. Some of our grass (and the grass of several of our neighbors) was killed by a new employee of Massey scalping our yard down to the sand last year - it still has not fully recovered. They came out and looked and basically said, sorry, we will try to do better. I said, no thank go practice on someone else's lawn.

Now, we are paying a significant premium to our current lawn care company. We chose them and agreed to the premium because we thought if we paid enough we would get good service. So much for that theory.

We pay, as part of the contract, to have the weeds in the hardscape controlled. So far they have not controlled them and now with the spring, you can almost not see the rocks because of all the weeds. The "owner" of the company came out and didn't even apologize, he just said, it must have fallen through the cracks because we started after the weeds were treated in this area - 2 months ago. He said they would be back in our area in a few weeks and take care of it.

Seriously! We are paying this company easily 50% more than any other service we have had and he says they will take care of the weeds in a few weeks.

Can anyone provide the name and number of a GOOD RELIABLE individual that does lawn care. Someone that does the work, and doesn't send out a teen that was flipping burgers last week. Someone that takes pride in their work.

1. Mow the yard when it needs it - we have very LITTLE grass, most of the front is rock.

That is it, I don't want to have to CALL them to tell them there are weeds, I want them to actually look at our yard, and take care of it.

Sorry, for the rant, I am very frustrated. I paid less to have acres mowed before moving here, and we have not gone with the low price spread here.

As my wife says, all we want is to look at our yead when we get home and think, "'that looks nice". It seems to be too much to ask.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I understand your frustrations over lawn companies! I have used the same lawn guy for 4 years and while things are never always perfect, I still keep him because I'm not sure if anyone else would be better.. BUT...If we changed these Villages policies about having to have real grass in the first place, we would all be better off! If only we were allowed to use that new artificial turf, we would be able to: Fire the lawn guys, not have to worry about sprinklers being broken by lawn movers, USE LESS WATER, not have to listen to the noises of mowers, worry about our pets, see less emissions into our air, save money on the grass cutting service, save time from sweeping up after them when they don't blow all the dirt out of the driveway and sidewalks, save money on sprinkler repairs.. I've heard that in the recent past some Villagers that live in the smaller yard, patio homes had used that synthetic grass to landscape their yards and The Villages told them to remove it! All this is really a no brainer and I only wish that more people would come forward about this matter of having synthetic with the powers that be here! They can make this optional if they want, some folks can have the real grass or be a new ager and say to heck with real grass and be more environmentally friendly.. I would love to hear other people's thoughts about this and maybe even start a petition of some sort. I will be the first in line to sign a petition! What do you all think??
Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

We use Heron every other month for treating yard ($60) and Clean & Green (Ryan) 352-406-6095, 352-499-1317 mowing on Friday, come by and see yard, corner lot $60, 146 costa mesa dr., we are very pleased.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

I would suggest calling Doug's Lawn Service at 352 348 5158 I don't know how far south he will drive? But, he CAN be trusted.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:20 PM
Default Same Problem Here in Texas

Quote:

I could have written this post myself. We paid outrageous amounts of money for mediocre service. We have been through several companies. We explain what we want, just as you have explained. We put out the problems every week; and nothing is done.

Our latest person assured me over and over again that he had three people who would attend to our problems. On most weeks, it is one person who definitely doesn't have an eye for detail.

I am tired of going out in our yard and flowerbeds and street cleaning up after the guy when he leaves. The last time, I pointed out all of the grass clippings in the road and street curbside. He got defensive and said that it was impossible to clean up the clippings. It's amazing that I found a way to do it myself.

Yes - I am going to look for yet another service. BTW - I am on this forum because we are looking at The Villages as one of our retirement options!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We use Heron every other month for treating yard ($60) and Clean & Green (Ryan) 352-406-6095, 352-499-1317 mowing on Friday, come by and see yard, corner lot $60, 146 costa mesa dr., we are very pleased.
Thank you. We will drive by.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan27 View Post
I could have written this post myself. We paid outrageous amounts of money for mediocre service. We have been through several companies. We explain what we want, just as you have explained. We put out the problems every week; and nothing is done.

Our latest person assured me over and over again that he had three people who would attend to our problems. On most weeks, it is one person who definitely doesn't have an eye for detail.

I am tired of going out in our yard and flowerbeds and street cleaning up after the guy when he leaves. The last time, I pointed out all of the grass clippings in the road and street curbside. He got defensive and said that it was impossible to clean up the clippings. It's amazing that I found a way to do it myself.

Yes - I am going to look for yet another service. BTW - I am on this forum because we are looking at The Villages as one of our retirement options!
Thank you, the Villages is not perfect, but it is the best I have seen anywhere. I am very happy here, and if I can't get the service I want from a lawn service, then I will go back to doing it myself.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:

When I saw your issue I believe I have the answer. My yard person will do the following:
1. Mow the yard when it needs it.

Call me (Chuck @ 352-250-9170) and we can talk.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Villages is expanding leaps and bounds.
Lawn companies can't keep up see any help wanted signs lately business are struggling for help
Not going to mention any names but my lawn company went to every other week mowing
My guess is they are stretched so thin trying to cover this expansion
In the long run my lawn looks pretty good till around day 11
Old 06-12-2021, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Villages is expanding leaps and bounds.
Lawn companies can't keep up see any help wanted signs lately business are struggling for help
Not going to mention any names but my lawn company went to every other week mowing
My guess is they are stretched so thin trying to cover this expansion
In the long run my lawn looks pretty good till around day 11
Yes, lots of demand, not enough supply - sad.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:39 AM
Default Lawn care yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifred View Post
After trying various companies, and our lawn looking brown from being cut too short and chemical burned I decided to do it myself. I bought a self propelled battery operated. My home is on a middle lot. The self propelled battery mowers are the easiest thing I have ever used to cut grass. I am a woman and I can easily mow my lawn in 20 - 25 minutes. My lawn is very green and pretty because I don't put the deck down too low. With every company I had I asked them not to cut it low but they always did. The lawn companies don't want to take the time to adjust the lawn mower deck. They also don't spray their decks between lawns and spread disease. I also bought a spreader on next door and apply Scotts weed and feed for southern lawns in the spring and fall. Scotts website has a link to a recommended lawn program.
what do you do if the lawn gets a disease or bug problem?
Old 06-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

I didn't retire to Florida to mow my own lawn. So now I'm retired to Florida and still mow my own lawn.

I think part of the reason I could afford to retire to Florida is that I've always been too cheap to pay others to do things I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. The first week after we moved in, I called the guy who had been doing my lawn (as well as my neighbor's lawns) to ask how much he wanted to continue the service. $50/week to mow this postage stamp. Heck, the road drainage ditch at my old place was twice the size of this lawn!

I did the math in my head (if it's big round numbers, I can still do that) and realized it would take about two months to pay for the hardware to mow it myself.

So I picked up an electric self-propelled plastic mower at Lowes that cost more than the 4-wheel-drive, Honda-powered Husqevarna push mower I used to mow that ditch with. It didn't look substantial enough to shave with, but it had the advantage of folding up to fit in my new downsized garage, and didn't need gasoline. And it worked amazingly well. So I bought a matching string trimmer and hedge trimmer that can use the same batteries -- and was equally amazed that they worked, too.

It takes about 45 minutes to do the deed. That's an hour and 15 minutes less than it used to take to mow my Texas place. I do a better job than the lawn guy and I don't have to wait until mowing day when we get a bunch of rain. And it's not like I don't have 45 minutes to spare in a week of Florida retirement. I just skip one nap.

The neighbors all think I'm nuts. Same as Texas.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Showtime Landscaping for Mowing and Trimming.....Bill Law.....(352) 303-1334. GreenSmith for Treatment of Lawn and Plants.....Hoke Smith.....(352) 303-0205

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
care, weeds, lawn, dogs, grass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.