Any Honest Auto Repair Shops?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Default Any Honest Auto Repair Shops?

Twice within 9 months we've gotten taken by auto service centers. Last summer we took our Trail Blazer to Tire Choice to have two new tires mounted and a wheel alignment taken care of. That was expensive enough. After we picked up the car, we noticed the clock was an-hour-an-half ahead of time. Didn't think much of it at the time since who knows what needs to be done mounting tires and aligning wheels? The next day I noticed the gas gauge read almost on "E" when we just filled up two days earlier. We hadn't driven anywhere to use up nearly a full tank of gas. I thought someone had siphoned gas. I mentioned it to my husband and again couldn't find an explanation for the lack of gas. Within a couple more days, my husband noticed the gauge pointer was straight down, as if broken, and from then on it went all over the gauge. We never knew how much gas we had in the tank. Our lesson learned was that we should've taken the car right back to Tire Choice and asked why the gas gauge broke and the clock was set ahead of time after it was in their shop. It will now cost $450 to get it fixed. Expensive lesson but I doubt they would've claimed responsibility for it.

Problem two: Within the last two weeks, the brake light burned out and the ol' "Service Engine Soon" light came on. We took it to Auto Masters of Leesburg and they found the air injection valve and a serpentine chain needed to be replaced. They also replaced the brake light. We got an estimate for the gas gauge repair bill, too. When we went to pick up the car, my husband got in while still in the parking lot and pressed the button for the driver's side window to roll down. It didn't. He went back into the shop and told them now his window doesn't work. A guy came out, pressed the button a couple of times and said the regulator motor broke. I asked how could that conveniently happen just as we were about to leave? He said "it just so happened while the car was under their watch, it could've just as easily broken while the car was under our watch." It's another $100 repair bill on top of $331 we just paid to them.

Why do I have the feeling that excuse is the same one Tire Choice would've used?

The odds of two working, unrelated-to-the-problem parts breaking while the car is in the repair shop within nine months of each other is so infinitesimal that the universe could not calculate it. I'd have better chances of winning the lottery!

What do you think the odds will be that something else will break while we're getting the fuel gauge repaired?

Anybody know of an honest, trustworthy, reputable auto repair shop?

What recourse does a customer have in these cases?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Sage

Michael has not let us down yet (03 Nissan Pathfinder).... see below for details

Found a Great Reliable Mechanic! :)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Default Quality Tire & Repair

Unbelievable workmanship and pricing and most of all --- honesty!!

They are near the corner of Route 466 and 441 (on 466). There are cars of all years and makes (looks like a junk yard) and the grounds are unpaved.

They did a power window for me for $150.00 that others quoted $400.00 and a radiator and advised me on an oil leak, etc. On a couple of occasions they even drove me home after leaving the car when they weren't busy.

They have a crew of 6 - 8.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Economy Auto Repair in Fruitland Park - it's across 441 from the Walmart. Great family run place. We've used them for 7 years and Big Frankie and Little Frankie keep both of our vehicle in top shape.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Gold member
Default car repair

Never take your car to "Ford of Ocala" Belleview Office. They are not trustworthy. Long story. Tried to double-dip warrenty on a ford still covered. Did not do work they said they did. Took Ford dealership in Michigan straighten this mess out.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Platinum member

We had a good experience with Michaels in Fruitland Park. My mother's car air conditioner did not work and he said it just needed freon which he added. Efficient and economical. The ambiance is not great - be prepared.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM

I take my car to Accu-Tech on 301 in Oxford. Very good and honest. Walmart is the best place to have oil changed
drd
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Fruitland Park Auto Repair

I have been referred to them by 3 of my friends and I am well satisfied. They do a great job at fair prices, no unnessesary extras. Try them, only once will be your need .
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living a Fantasy View Post
Unbelievable workmanship and pricing and most of all --- honesty!!

They are near the corner of Route 466 and 441 (on 466). There are cars of all years and makes (looks like a junk yard) and the grounds are unpaved.

They did a power window for me for $150.00 that others quoted $400.00 and a radiator and advised me on an oil leak, etc. On a couple of occasions they even drove me home after leaving the car when they weren't busy.

They have a crew of 6 - 8.
we refer to this site as Vaughn's - and he is so busy that you cannot reach the business by phone - if he didn't take the phone off the hook no work would get done!

drive over and get an appt - they are the best! never met a mechanic so honest - and he guarantees his work!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Platinum member

Don't you mean 466a?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Napa on 441

We had a good experience at Napa on 441.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage

Meredith's Auto Clinic
40739 County Road 25, Lady Lake, FL 32159-2510 (352) 753-1033 ‎

CR 25 is East boundary of historic area of TV.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Quality Tire and Repair!!! They had been reccomended by this site and they have been wonderful. Several times I have said yes to an estimate and they charged me less for different reasons. They have saved me thousands and are always less expensive than other service stations. Herb
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM

I've had great experience with Sumter Tire and Auto, 352-748-6549. If you take 466A into Wildwood and turn right on 301 (Main St.) they're a block or two on the right. Someone recommended them to me as doing good work, being honest and reasonably priced. I had an alignment and found it to be true. A few weeks later, as I was in the car to take my niece and her friend to the airport, the "Check engine light" came on. I knew I didn't have time to wait somewhere... I drove right to Sumter Tire and Larry had someone come right away to take my car in, diagnose the problem and put my mind at ease. No charge.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Gold member

Mike's Auto - great job........reasonable......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.