Anyone hang a swivel TV mount on interior wall that could have metal studs?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Gold member
Default Anyone hang a swivel TV mount on interior wall that could have metal studs?

Would like your feedback, thanks very much.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida

Deb,

You can mount your TV bracket using snap toggle bolts, no need to drill into any stud, metal or wood. Tom uses them and can install the mount for you at a reasonable price if you don't want to DIY.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Gold member
Default Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida

Deb,

You can mount your TV bracket using snap toggle bolts, no need to drill into any stud, metal or wood. Tom uses them and can install the mount for you at a reasonable price if you don't want to DIY.
Yes, I have used Tom and he's great. We had another house with same request but he said tv stand best for such a situation so that what we did. I actually forgot about that and asked him, couple yrs later, if he could do it and he wrote "The reason we put that TV on the swivel stand was because we can't put full motion/articulating wall mount brackets on metal stud walls. Full motion brackets must be mounted in wood studs or concrete." Bummed out because he does good work but I understand his liability. So, wondering if anyone has tried it anyhow.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:46 AM

What is the weight of TV & Stand together? As long as you're not mounting a huge TV and super heavy mount you should be able to get drywall mounting hardware that far exceeds the combined amount based on the ratings per bolt/toggle. I would also err on more bolts, use every mounting hole for extra, etc. I do look forward to other's experiences as well, but personally think it is doable.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
What is the weight of TV & Stand together? As long as you're not mounting a huge TV and super heavy mount you should be able to get drywall mounting hardware that far exceeds the combined amount based on the ratings per bolt/toggle. I would also err on more bolts, use every mounting hole for extra, etc. I do look forward to other's experiences as well, but personally think it is doable.
It's a 55" TV, think the trick came in because we need a swivel mount and Tom wasn't comfortable installing a swivel on the wall from what I understand.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Any other TV mounters out there???

Tom still good???
Does Tom move wiring, repair drywall, etc??
Old 05-27-2021, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

I have a 70" TV mounted on a swivel TV mount by nylon anchors that I purchased at Lowe's. Haven't had any problem other than the TV does not seem to stay level. That is because of the swing arm, not the base mount. I plan to get rid of the swivel arm bracket and replace it with a standard tilt wall mount. The TV has been mounted on the wall for four years with no problem.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Tom just put up 2 TVs on wall for me in my new home one is 65 the other I believe was 55, he comes on time and does great job , . The first home he ever did for me I had all these different guys tell me how to wire a set in bedroom from stringing wires to even drilling an outside hole Tom took about 10 seconds to figure out what to do with it he’s the best if he can’t do it I wouldn’t try anyone else
Old 05-27-2021, 09:58 AM

I installed a swivel, articulating wall mounts for 55" TV in master bedroom. I used stud finder and bolted it directly to metal stud. Had TV on wall for 5 years until we sold the house. Swiveled TV from sofa on right to bed on left. Articulating allowed TV to move in/out and left right and allowed more swivel to side as I could pull TV farther out from wall. I also cut hole behind TV and added electric outlet with 2 HDMI outlets - connect to outlet and HDMI outlets below on bottom of wall. That way no cables hanging from TV. Cable box and DVD player plugged into bottom HDMI outlets and TV plugged into HDMI outlets behind TV.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

I have 75 inch TV mounted on wall with metal studs, my solution was to install 2 boards ( 1 by 5 inch) across 3 or 4 studs (been a while) then install the mount on the boards, did the same for a neighbor with a heavy 80 inch TV. This approach seems to work very well and I made sure the boards were short enough too be reasonably well hidden by the TV.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Tom just put up 2 TVs on wall for me in my new home one is 65 the other I believe was 55, he comes on time and does great job , . The first home he ever did for me I had all these different guys tell me how to wire a set in bedroom from stringing wires to even drilling an outside hole Tom took about 10 seconds to figure out what to do with it he’s the best if he can’t do it I wouldn’t try anyone else
Did Tom move the cable & electrical up behind the TV so no wires are showing??
Old 05-27-2021, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
When Tom did our TVs he hid all the wires in the wall. He can run 120 wiring himself as long as it is all in the same bay, i.e. the space between the 2x4's. Otherwise he has an electrician that works with him do the 120 wiring.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
When Tom did our TVs he hid all the wires in the wall. He can run 120 wiring himself as long as it is all in the same bay, i.e. the space between the 2x4's. Otherwise he has an electrician that works with him do the 120 wiring.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Yes he did

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
he’s great
Old 05-27-2021, 02:51 PM

Here's how I did it in my previous house. Use a stud finder, cut out a sheetrock square so that it's cut about in the middle of two metal studs. At homedepot or lowes, get a couple of wood block holders and screw them into the metal studs (it's what's used to hang kitchen cabinets to metal studs). Drop a 1" x 6" or 1" x 8" piece into the holders and screw the sheetrock back in place. Use mud & tape to cover the cut (use a utility knife initially to cut out the sheetrock). When the mud dries, sand lightly and repaint. Now you can hang your TV using the wood as the anchor point. If you want your wires hidden, do that while your sheetrock is removed as well. Easy peasy, although it does take a little bit of time and some exact measuring.
Closed Thread

Tags
feedback, studs, metal, hang, wall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.