Attic exhaust fan

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2022, 03:15 PM
Default Attic exhaust fan

I need to install a solar-powered garage attic exhaust fan to reduce the heat buildup. I see an ad in the paper by Corad Inc., for this. Has anyone used them? I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Most folks use Solar Guys. I did and I'm quite happy, though I chose an electric fan rather than solar.
Keeps the garage relatively cool and I'm sure it helps the attic. I've had it 10+ years now, not a problem.
Good luck.

Last edited by JohnN; 07-01-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
I need to install a solar-powered garage attic exhaust fan to reduce the heat buildup. I see an ad in the paper by Corad Inc., for this. Has anyone used them? I'd appreciate any recommendations.
If you heat flow in your attic (soffit to the ridge vent) is working like it should, no need for a attic fan.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

A solar fan is too weak to move much air, if you are really serious about this get an AC powered fan with a thermostatic switch, this will aloow the fan to run when required. Cost will probably be similar to a solar fan especially if you can use an existing vent cutout.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:36 PM

If your garage faces west only hot air from outside will be pulled inside the garage. Look into a retractable screen door and / or insulation.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:56 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Solar Guys

Quote:
We recommend an electric fan for the garage. This gives you full control even if the sun isn't out. For instance if you pull a car into the garage in the evening. That car engine can heat the garage up and our fan will help pull the heat out.

You can read more about it on our website. Energy-Saving Solar Garage Fan Install | The Villages & Central FL
Old 07-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Talk to a Reputable Roofer…. That’s what they do….
Old 07-02-2022, 04:24 AM

Another vote for a 110 AC powered fan, especially if you have a garage larger than a single bay. Too little power with a solar fan.

Solar Guys does these installations everyday and has it down pat. Very good results at affordable prices and available at reasonably short wait times.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSolarGuys View Post
We recommend an electric fan for the garage. This gives you full control even if the sun isn't out. For instance if you pull a car into the garage in the evening. That car engine can heat the garage up and our fan will help pull the heat out.

You can read more about it on our website. Energy-Saving Solar Garage Fan Install | The Villages & Central FL
The Solar Guys do perfect work at a fair price. Why go elsewhere?
Old 07-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thumbs down

So your house was designed for HVAC by an engineer, they design attic vents to handle this.

But you think lowing the temp a few more that the designed flow is going to make difference?

There have been studies done on this and they found these fans suck the cool air out of the home thru tiny openings in ceiling and walls.

So you spend $$ for more AC.

I think they are a waste of money, google it!
Old 07-02-2022, 08:38 AM

I highly recommend Solar Guys. We have the vents in our garage door, an electric fan in our garage ceiling and the solar attic fan. It makes a huge difference! Their Solar tubes are excellent as well.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerr View Post
I highly recommend Solar Guys. We have the vents in our garage door, an electric fan in our garage ceiling and the solar attic fan. It makes a huge difference! Their Solar tubes are excellent as well.
You may want to check the fire code on that.

There are several good reasons for not venting into your attic, or creating positive pressure into your garage from outside: venting to the attic creates a fire chimney from the place where your flammable products are stored. If the garage were to burn, you just torched the rest of your house.

Will the insurance pay????
Old 07-02-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
We have a solar exhaust fan installed by Solar Guys. (I have a background in that area, but it was more fun watching them do the work ). The fan is sized sufficiently to pull air through the garage cooling it quite well. It doesn’t chill your beer, but you can work in the garage. We chose garage vents in the doors and painted them to match. The garage screens are fine too. Love the system. It cools after dark too. Technology advanced quickly in the last few years. (Solar powered usually means battery operated.)

Our Lazy Daze RV used solar technology too, so we knew what we were getting. Those Fantastic Fans were amazing .. temp triggered to protect your pets and comfort. Our attic fan is just as good. We were in the attic yesterday in this darn heat. Not bad, but warm.

Whoever said solar is too weak to move much air needs to revisit the technology. Just choose the right size. I always size up if given a choice. Guess I like the power of a whole house fan.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You may want to check the fire code on that.

There are several good reasons for not venting into your attic, or creating positive pressure into your garage from outside: venting to the attic creates a fire chimney from the place where your flammable products are stored. If the garage were to burn, you just torched the rest of your house.

Will the insurance pay????
The same thing can be said about the open concept floor plans. Whoosh is the word if you are not careful. Fans definitely moderate temperatures in the attic and garage/ lanae reducing stress and flex on construction materials. Your house will love you more.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

I think they are a waste of money, google it!
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, fan, exhaust, corad, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.